Posts: 497
Threads: 61
Joined: Jan 2017
I embarked on an easy way to get to a Grendel upper, I got a group buy bolt here, ordered a M4 contour 6.5 Grendel 16 inch Nitrided barrel from BCA and a complete AR Stoner 5.56 upper on sale at Midway for $280. The plan being to assemble parts and have a hunting grade light AR. Well before the Midway upper got here BCA put 6.5 Grendel complete uppers on sale for $284, 16" M4 clone. So I ordered one. It arrived Friday but I couldn't shoot it till today. I mounted the upper on an older Olympic Arms lower fitted with an A1 buttstock and that has had enough rounds fired through it that the trigger isn't exactly awful and I know it well. Bore sighted and got it pretty close to center with 3 shots at 50 yards. I moved to the 100 yard bench and my first 4 shots were low and to the right and I was using each shot to adjust my scope, a 3x9 Bushnell Elite. Got it really close and my last two groups were two touching bullet holes as between them I had put in 2 clicks to get exact top dead center 2 inches high at 100 yards. On the way to sight in there were at least three 2 shot touching groups. Function, the first few shots threw the brass straight out from the receiver, the last ten were in a neat group of a 10 inch circle at the 3 oclock. There were no malfunctions. My magazines were two ten shotters from Midway made by the AR Stoner people. The AR Stoner upper will have it's barrel installed and be put together by Thursday and I will run a box through it when time permits. Ammo is Hornady Black Box ELDM. Brass looks fine with no dents. I don't see how the AR Stoner upper could do any better but I will give it a chance.
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Thanks for report!
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
Promising for an affordable barrel!
Posts: 255
Threads: 19
Joined: Sep 2015
i have heard good things about their 6.5 barrels , may end up buying one one of these days!!
Posts: 497
Threads: 61
Joined: Jan 2017
06-06-2017, 05:27 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 05:29 PM by rickt300.)
I guess I could justify two uppers of similar configuration if I put night vision on one and leave the scope on the other! I also ordered 500 rounds of the Wolf steel cased cheap stuff. The Bear Creek Arms people say they won't honor their warranty if this ammo is used? Is it the bi metal bullet? What if I pulled the bullets and replaced them with a standard cup and core?
Posts: 12
Threads: 3
Joined: May 2017
I wish they'd make a complete 6.5G side charger. Or just the upper receiver with a good bolt. Kind of a weird oversight on their part.
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
rickt300 Wrote:I guess I could justify two uppers of similar configuration if I put night vision on one and leave the scope on the other! I also ordered 500 rounds of the Wolf steel cased cheap stuff. The Bear Creek Arms people say they won't honor their warranty if this ammo is used? Is it the bi metal bullet? What if I pulled the bullets and replaced them with a standard cup and core?
Where did you see/hear that? I just got a BCA barrel and was planning on using it with wolf ammo.. Oye!!
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
hkcavalier Wrote:I wish they'd make a complete 6.5G side charger. Or just the upper receiver with a good bolt. Kind of a weird oversight on their part.
Buy a side charging receiver with complete bolt carrier group, barrel, handguard with barrel nut and get the group buy bolt from here. That's what I did.
Posts: 264
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2016
Dpr64 Wrote:Where did you see/hear that? I just got a BCA barrel and was planning on using it with wolf ammo.. Oye!!
I see nothing on it:
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/terms-conditions
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
From the BCA site:
7.62X39 Complete Upper
1:10 Twist Rate
16” 4150 Parkerized Steel Barrel
BCG Included with Proprietary Bolt
Standard M4 Handguards
Low Profile Handguards
BCA DOES NOT recommend using steel cased ammo in our Assemblies or Rifles.
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
bj139 Wrote:From the BCA site:
7.62X39 Complete Upper
1:10 Twist Rate
16 4150 Parkerized Steel Barrel
BCG Included with Proprietary Bolt
Standard M4 Handguards
Low Profile Handguards
BCA DOES NOT recommend using steel cased ammo in our Assemblies or Rifles.
Well what the heck...Why?? I intended on using the BCA side charger with the Alexander arms bolt in it along with a BCA barrel... All for the 6.5 Grendel...
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
What could go wrong? BCA provides parts for many other companies that don't even state this. I have been shooting steel ammo through my BCA side charger with BCA barrel. I have been ejecting them manually with no problems so far. I just have to do a slight mortar. With lower pressure handloads I may be be able to cycle it manually while shouldered. I turned my gas block to be an actual gas block. PA hunting laws regarding semiautos are still in the stone age.
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 497
Threads: 61
Joined: Jan 2017
bj139 Wrote:From the BCA site:
7.62X39 Complete Upper
1:10 Twist Rate
16 4150 Parkerized Steel Barrel
BCG Included with Proprietary Bolt
Standard M4 Handguards
Low Profile Handguards
BCA DOES NOT recommend using steel cased ammo in our Assemblies or Rifles.
It says the same thing on the 6.5 upper page, however nowhere does it say it will void the warrany if steel cased ammo is used in it. It does say in the warranty that it will void said warranty if "non standard" ammunition is used but the description stops short of mentioning steel case ammo. I would think a factory loaded steel cased ammo would have to be considered standard.
Posts: 21
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2016
rickt300 Wrote:It says the same thing on the 6.5 upper page, however nowhere does it say it will void the warrany if steel cased ammo is used in it. It does say in the warranty that it will void said warranty if "non standard" ammunition is used but the description stops short of mentioning steel case ammo. I would think a factory loaded steel cased ammo would have to be considered standard.
As a matter of fact I got in a 6.5G complete upper from Bear Creek this week. They had 3 fired cases from the test rounds. All 3 were steel case wolf
Posts: 18
Threads: 3
Joined: Apr 2017
Et2ss Wrote:As a matter of fact I got in a 6.5G complete upper from Bear Creek this week. They had 3 fired cases from the test rounds. All 3 were steel case wolf
Same with my BCA upper.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
i was looking on the bear creek website, it listed the muzzle threads on the grendel barrels as 1/2-36 is that accurate or a typo because that limits muzzzle assesories even more so that 9/16-24
Punctuation is for the weak....
Posts: 39
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
My BCA 16" SS barrel I bought about 3 months ago is 5/8X24.
My AA Overwatch is supposed to be 9/16X24 and they invented the Grendel so this must be the correct size threads. 5/8X24 is for 308.
Posts: 604
Threads: 45
Joined: Nov 2016
Dpr64 Wrote:Well what the heck...Why?? I intended on using the BCA side charger with the Alexander arms bolt in it along with a BCA barrel... All for the 6.5 Grendel...
I just saw those bca side chargers as well... I also noticed that Midway has what looks like the exact same side charger set but it says it's forged. I think I might have to get a couple of these. Good deal. Not sure about the bolts but the upper alone is worth it to me.