Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crown Carbon Build Up
#1
I am curious whether the carbon build up on the crown under a muzzle brake or suppressor reduces accuracy, and whether you guys are cleaning it to the metal every time or not and how you are doing it.
Reply
#2
Not every time...Every few hundred rounds. It requires the $2 crush washer being replaced otherwise I'd do it every shoot.

Unsure if it helps much but it gives peace of mind.
Reply
#3
Klem Wrote:Not every time...Every few hundred rounds. It requires the $2 crush washer being replaced otherwise I'd do it every shoot.

Unsure if it helps much but it gives peace of mind.

What are you doing to clean it? If yours gets as built up as mine, then it is pretty tough to remove.
Reply
#4
dega37 Wrote:What are you doing to clean it? If yours gets as built up as mine, then it is pretty tough to remove.

I've used both Montana Extreme bore cleaner and carburetor cleaner along with a brass bristled wire brush to clean the crowns on my rifles. If using the Montana Extreme, the Montana Extreme 50BMG seems to me to make shorter work of it.
Reply
#5
dega37 Wrote:What are you doing to clean it? If yours gets as built up as mine, then it is pretty tough to remove.

A spray of WD40 and some elbow grease with a brass brush.
Reply
#6
Brass is soft enough not to damage the crown?
Reply
#7
dega37 Wrote:Brass is soft enough not to damage the crown?

Yes, like the brass brushes we use down the barrel.
Reply
#8
Klem Wrote:Yes, like the brass brushes we use down the barrel.

I thought bore brushes were bronze, are they not?
Reply
#9
i have both brass and bronze bore brushes as well as nylon i dont use them very much as they only loosen carbon don't really do anything for the copper, you could also just put a dab of kroil on the carbonized crown and it will proably come off without any real scrubbing
Punctuation is for the weak....
Reply
#10
I don't know if it needs to be done every time, but Boretech c4 carbon cleaner will make short work of it. You can run a tight patch from the breech, and stop it just as it gets to the muzzle. Now stand the rifle up and dribble enough cleaner on the muzzle to cover and let it soak a couple hours.
Reply
#11
I use a qtip to wipe up the cleaning fluid that comes out the end of the barrel and lands in the flash supressor. That take care of the carbon on the crown as well.
Reply
#12
204 AR Wrote:I don't know if it needs to be done every time, but Boretech c4 carbon cleaner will make short work of it. You can run a tight patch from the breech, and stop it just as it gets to the muzzle. Now stand the rifle up and dribble enough cleaner on the muzzle to cover and let it soak a couple hours.

+1 on the Boretech C4. Anyone who hasn't tried it should. I don't actually use it in my bores, but I do use it to remove carbon everywhere else.
Reply
#13
Kg carbon cleaner or kroil and a brass brush. Usually the kroil will loosen it enough to wipe most of it off. If I have a heavily carbon fouled barrel I soak in kroil, couple passes with bore brush then patches. Kroil is the shiznit as some would say!!

Richard
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Reply
#14
Thanks for all the replies. The brass brush absolutely worked. I used montana xtreme let it sit for about a minute then used the brass brush and it was gone in less than a minute. I'll try Kroil next time.

Just FYI, Montana xtreme is very strong, I recommend taking a deep breath before you open the bottle and try not to breath in the fumes. Also, make sure your head is away from the mouth as the vapor will burn your eyes.
Reply
#15
When I had a brake on my rifle I had problems with this as well. I use Butches its strong too. After a good cleaning I noticed the carbon just seemed to melt away with a quick wipe.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)