Posts: 255
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2016
First off thanks I found a new favorite rifle in the AR15 platform. I've put together a 16" carbine that's a ton of fun to shoot. I'm looking at getting the 18" Faxon barrel and it will primarily be used for longer distance target shooting. During hunting season I will try it out on whitetail and coyote. I'm curious what y'all thought about using on the end of the barrel. There are numerous options to choose from. Which device would you choose or do you use on your 18" barrel a brake, comp, combination, suppressor, FH or thread protector. Thanks for the help.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
You are the one that has to shoot it.
I have a plain old A2 birdgage on my 16" 5.56, I was planning on getting a surfire suppressor for my Mk12 - so it has a brake, and when my PF Neptune 8 gets here, it's getting fitted with a birdcage until my Omega gets out of NFA Jail (changed plans), then it will have a brake. Both my other rifles will be fitted with the ASR mount for the Omega, but still staying with a flash hider on the 16, and brake on the other.
It's all personal preference. If you do a lot of shooting with friends, a brake will make their shooting trip unpleasant.
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Either an A2 with 5/8x24 threads, or a PF NOX flash hider.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 713
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2014
These no washers, no timing just put it on. BANG BANG!!
https://www.odinworks.com/category_s/1897.htm
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
If I hunted without ear protection, I'd want one of the devices that project blast forward like a KAK flash can.
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
I put an A1 birdcage on my 16", no need to time like an A2 because it is symmetrical! Hand tight with rokset, let sit for a day and you are good.
Posts: 251
Threads: 36
Joined: Dec 2016
Slappy Wrote:These no washers, no timing just put it on. BANG BANG!!
https://www.odinworks.com/category_s/1897.htm This works really well.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
My woman got me a brake as a gift off of eBay for like 20 bucks, I figured what the heck I will try it out and to my surprise it works like really really good came with the crush washer as well.
Cant think of the name of the conpany that makes it but it has three side baffels and two angeled ports on top, check my old post for a pic of it if you want to see it.
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
Because my purpose is hunting, I am just using a thread protector. (Tried a couple of "linear comps" before I landed on the thread protector and the recoil/rise was no different so I figured why add the weight since the goal was lightweight for my build.)
Posts: 341
Threads: 46
Joined: Jan 2016
VG6 Precision makes some of the best muzzle devices on the market. The Gamma 68 SPC is designed for 6.5 and 6.8 use.
http://www.vg6precision.com/muzzle-devic...68spc.html
Posts: 17
Threads: 3
Joined: Apr 2017
Ditto on the "sound forwarder" My big barrel absorbs enough recoil. The all steel black knurled "sund forwarder" with crush washer on E-bay works great, tapped 5/8 - 24"
Cheap too!
Posts: 32
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2017
TruthAboutGuns.com did muzzle brake and flash hiding shootouts and the Precision Armament M4-72 in 223 and 308 beat 135 other muzzle brakes but was finally beat by the SJC Titan, you can get the Titan in titanium. The best flash hiding muzzle device was the JP flash hider but due to infringement issues raised by BE Meyers it's no longer available, the JP was only slightly better than BE Meyers 249F but for 6.5 you'd probably need the 240F.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/1...hootout-3/
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/1...ng-test-2/
https://precisionarmament.com/product/m4...mpensator/
http://stores.sjcguns.com/lund-sjc-rifle...tan-comps/
http://bemeyers.com/product/240f-flash-hider/
That Odin Works Atlas sure looks badass though.
Posts: 123
Threads: 11
Joined: Nov 2016
I bought the vg6 gamma 68spc. I'm still waiting for the barrel to try it out though.
Posts: 151
Threads: 22
Joined: Jul 2016
Yep, I have one and love it. It also tames the recoil and muzzle rise.
Slappy Wrote:These no washers, no timing just put it on. BANG BANG!!
https://www.odinworks.com/category_s/1897.htm
Posts: 32
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2017
Jakegsxr11 Wrote:I bought the vg6 gamma 68spc. I'm still waiting for the barrel to try it out though.
It should be a great brake, in 5.56 it reduced 63.96% recoil compared to bare muzzle, scored 10 out of like 65 and the best reduced 73% but we're talking very small distance of recoil movement anyways plus they said nothing beats it for how compact and light it is. I'm very interested in it but still considering the M4-72 brake that won all of the tests except the last but that SJC Titan brake is a beast I don't like the looks.
Posts: 32
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2017
Retro Wrote:Yep, I have one and love it. It also tames the recoil and muzzle rise.
It scored 18 with a 64.09% reduction in recoil and 4.0625 inch average recoil distance in inches. Best bein 73% and 2.468in but for not having to time it, ability to customize it actually and just the looks make it one a kind and great.
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
I tried out the M4-72, and sure enough it made the recoil, like, vanish... but the "prop wash" back-blast was too much for me. It was a lot of wind-rush that was uncomfortable, not painful but I just didn't like it. I got a couple others and use them, and am happy with them, the Precision Impact, a voodoo jet comp, a Holland .985 radial... you're hard pressed to tell the difference in "63%" vs "56%" etc. among the top performers.
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
I've been using one of the DPMS miculek 308 brakes on my 16" Odin build. Lowers recoil but man does it ever have a blast. One of the loudest I've used... been looking at the Odin Atlas 6.5 comp as well... thing looms awesome, and I lIke the design. Seems easy to install, easy to time , and easy to clean
I wonder if going to a designated 6.5 brake would make any difference at all from using a 30 cal brake? I also use a 30 cal brake on my 260 Rem.
|