Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Looks like I got a short chamber
#41
diddlyv Wrote:baka have you spoken to Odin??? Other threads indicate they stand behind their work. I don't know personally as my 20 inch odin shoots the factory 123 SSTs just fine and all the groups with it have been sub MOA so I have not had to deal with their customer service. They were most helpful getting my order processed before they actually went live on the website with a new shipment of 20 inchers when they were listed out of stock. As I had asked them about it several weeks before they got the shipment.

I have not yet contacted odin on this. I am trying first to make sure there is actually an issue, and not just my ignorance. From what i can tell so far is that a new factory load horn, 123 eld will go into chamber by hand, but will need a nudge to fall out freely. with that being said, this gun still will shoot the factory load near 1/2 moa.
May not be a major issue, however if im to understand correctly the nosler bullets like to be just a lil shy of the lands. ? And that will likely be my preferred
projectile. I have already been able to load a few rounds of the 120 with 8208 and get .47 moa at 2535 fps. 5 rounds with sd of 8. So maybe the barrel is fine as is.
I thought i understood that a loaded round should be able to freefall from the barrel of its own weight. Hey im def still in the learning stage here. ALL advise is welsome.
Thanks for the input
Ken
Reply
#42
I have check bolt face depth . .all is checked out in spec.
Reply
#43
bakabone25 Wrote:I have not yet contacted odin on this. I am trying first to make sure there is actually an issue, and not just my ignorance. From what i can tell so far is that a new factory load horn, 123 eld will go into chamber by hand, but will need a nudge to fall out freely. with that being said, this gun still will shoot the factory load near 1/2 moa.
May not be a major issue, however if im to understand correctly the nosler bullets like to be just a lil shy of the lands. ? And that will likely be my preferred
projectile. I have already been able to load a few rounds of the 120 with 8208 and get .47 moa at 2535 fps. 5 rounds with sd of 8. So maybe the barrel is fine as is.
I thought i understood that a loaded round should be able to freefall from the barrel of its own weight. Hey im def still in the learning stage here. ALL advise is welsome.
Thanks for the input
Ken

Does the round fall free with a hard tap on back of upper or butt of gun? If not there is a problem. I am the OP took mine out today to double check things. First amax(factory load) came out with charging hand but it took a lot to get it out tried another and it extracted fairly easily but the round back in and couldn't get it out pulled hard on charging and the round came out without the bullet! Used a cleaning rod to get the unfired round out of the barrel. Called AA this morning but got a answering machine. Left a message. Also emailed them. We will see how long it takes them to get back to me and what they say.
Reply
#44
Yes it does fall out will just a slight upwards bump of the stock. I did notice that my reloads were a little tighter the the factory loads. But again they seem to cycle fine.
I did try to load the nosler coal to 2.24 trying to create some space and followed the pressure signs of the shells. Not really seeing pressure signs.
Reply
#45
Contacted AA on monday morning by email and phone. Service number goes straight to voice mail. As of 12:40 today haven't heard back from them yet. Just a side note had to return a primary arms red dot they answered phone and directed me to their website for a return. RA was issued within the hour. Impressed with primary arms service.
Reply
#46
Pajasonc, I assume you tried the tech email link? I didn't get a response from that one either but got an email back when I tried the support email link support@alexanderarms.com from Whitney. She has responded to my questions usually within a day.
Reply
#47
I emailed asking for info about a barrel and it took a couple days for them to get back. They apologized about the delay and nailed my questions in the one email. I think I did the tech one.
Reply
#48
I did they tech one and tried the tech number. I did call before ordering the barrel to ask if they were in stock and they answered phone right away and were helpful. Going to give them till Monday then I will try alternative numbers and emails. To their credit the voicemail says it will likely be several days
Reply
#49
Just wanted to update. Sent my upper in last monday. AA called and said he finished reamed the chamber and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Will update again with the results. All in all pretty quick by AA. Turn around of less than two weeks including the shipping time(I am only a few hundred miles away from them and it only takes two days to ship each way even with cheapest option)
Reply
#50
Kudo's to AA in a quick turn around and you didn't have to break down your upper which say's a lot for their customer service!
Reply
#51
Thanks for the update. Good to know you could send the assembled upper. I'm now leaning towards sending mine back so I'll be watching for your results.
Reply
#52
Texkitch Wrote:Thanks for the update. Good to know you could send the assembled upper. I'm now leaning towards sending mine back so I'll be watching for your results.

they actually wanted the whole upper for trouble shooting purposes. Have to take your optic off, I wouldn't want to ship it anyhow.
Reply
#53
Got the upper back. Hornady amax still don't drop free from the chamber but they can be pulled out with the charging handle with a little effort. The sst's seem pretty easy to pull out with the charging handle. Wolf falls out of chamber as soon as the upper is turned to 2 o clock. All in all its now a fully working upper so I am happy. They did a hell of a job cleaning the thing when I got it back there wasn't a spec of dirt anywhere on the upper!
Reply
#54
pajasonc Wrote:Got the upper back. Hornady amax still don't drop free from the chamber but they can be pulled out with the charging handle with a little effort. The sst's seem pretty easy to pull out with the charging handle. Wolf falls out of chamber as soon as the upper is turned to 2 o clock. All in all its now a fully working upper so I am happy. They did a hell of a job cleaning the thing when I got it back there wasn't a spec of dirt anywhere on the upper!

Schweet! Glad to hear it.

I suspect that as a few hundred rounds are sent down the tube things will wear in a bit. I would seriously be interested in hearing at what round count the factory AMax rounds start to drop free, if ever.

ETA: Have you considered pulling the bullet from one of the AMaxes to see it the case wedges?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Reply
#55
Question are the Amax longer than the sst
Reply
#56
Different bullet shape. LRRP52 covered that in a thread around here not long ago.

I'd take a sharpie and cover the bullet/case from the shoulder froward, chamber a round then eject and look for any marks.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#57
Sticks Wrote:Different bullet shape. LRRP52 covered that in a thread around here not long ago.

I'd take a sharpie and cover the bullet/case from the shoulder froward, chamber a round then eject and look for any marks.

Before I sent it in extraction with charging handle was almost impossible with both the sst and amax. On occasion you could get a round out but I also pulled a bullet doing it. Now the SSt come out fairly easily and the amax come out but it takes a little bit of effort. Much better than before. Gun always shot fine.
Reply
#58
AMAX is loaded longer than SST, which would explain the different manual extraction characteristics.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#59
LRRPF52 Wrote:AMAX is loaded longer than SST, which would explain the different manual extraction characteristics.

I figured that must be the case. I definitely couldn't load those bullets any longer in my gun but as long as they can be loaded to factory length I am happy.
Reply
#60
pajasonc Wrote:Question are the Amax longer than the sst

I just got a few boxes of both Hornady amax and sst. B/c I'm "that guy" I measured 4 rounds out of each box:
amax:2.2450 to 2.260
sst: 2.2405 to 2.2445
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)