Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
I spent to much time reading this forum and succumbed to the 6.5 fever.
It all started with the Classic Firearms barrel sale.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar15-bar...endel-2655
Then I found a "blem" upper receiver for $45 built-out.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar-15-st...minor-blem
Bought one of the inexpensive Matrix 13" Keymod handguards for $65.
http://images2.powerreviews.com/media_po...iiiobe.jpg
Odin BCG & 6.5G bolt for $142.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Odin_Wor....5-bcg.htm
I need to buy magazines yet so I'm researching what is the best. I'm stoked to get it built.
Posts: 264
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2016
04-20-2017, 04:21 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM by 85_Ranger4x4.)
Sounds good, I just got a Matrix handguard for mine on Monday. I went with the 13" M-Lock one, it looks nice. Cost me $57 though.
I still need a bolt to show up, pick up the stock and figure out what the heck I am doing for a barrel yet.
Posts: 133
Threads: 14
Joined: Apr 2015
Don't skimp on the magazines. Mags are the worst troublemakers if they are not perfect.
Get the ones made in Israel and sold by Alexander Arms (e-Lander brand).
Note: I spent a fortune buying and testing various brands and suppliers and the only ones that worked without flaw were the ones bought through AA.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
Steamburn Wrote:Don't skimp on the magazines. Mags are the worst troublemakers if they are not perfect.
Get the ones made in Israel and sold by Alexander Arms (e-Lander brand).
Note: I spent a fortune buying and testing various brands and suppliers and the only ones that worked without flaw were the ones bought through AA.
Yea... I've read troubles with mags. Thanks for the input.... E-Lander from AA will get some of my money.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
Now isn't that pretty.
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
Hell yes it is. And they work as good as they look!
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
Steamburn Wrote:Don't skimp on the magazines. Mags are the worst troublemakers if they are not perfect.
Get the ones made in Israel and sold by Alexander Arms (e-Lander brand).
Note: I spent a fortune buying and testing various brands and suppliers and the only ones that worked without flaw were the ones bought through AA.
Thus far I've had amazing luck with the c-products 5 and 10 rounders. Haven't tried the e-landers yet.
Posts: 85
Threads: 9
Joined: Mar 2017
I'm excited to see how your barrel shoots.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
mateba Wrote:I'm excited to see how your barrel shoots.
Me too.... but I'm probably a 2-3 weeks away from getting to the range with it.
Posts: 169
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2015
Nice! I'm happy with my Matrix rail, especially for the price. FYI a standard barrel wrench won't work with their barrel nut. You'll need a 1-3/16" crow's foot wrench if you want to properly torque it - I picked this one up for $12 bucks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074H...UTF8&psc=1. Note that it's 1/2" drive so you may need an adapter for your torque wrench. If torque specs aren't as much of a concern for you, you can get by with a crescent wrench as long as it'll open up to 1-3/16".
FYI these rails come with a very dull matte finish which soaks up spray paint quite well.
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
Chrazy-Chris Wrote:Nice! I'm happy with my Matrix rail, especially for the price. FYI a standard barrel wrench won't work with their barrel nut. You'll need a 1-3/16" crow's foot wrench if you want to properly torque it - I picked this one up for $12 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074H...UTF8&psc=1. Note that it's 1/2" drive so you may need an adapter for your torque wrench. If torque specs aren't as much of a concern for you, you can get by with a crescent wrench as long as it'll open up to 1-3/16".
FYI these rails come with a very dull matte finish which soaks up spray paint quite well.
Attach a spring scale to the handle end of a 1 foot adjustable wrench, pull the scale to tighten the nut and read the foot pounds off the scale. Eazy peezy.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
Just received the rest of my parts. Hand assembled everything and threw it on the scale with my upper and everything minus magazine & scope is 6 lbs. 2 ounces.
Everything looks pretty sweet.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
This barrel looks pretty nice.... hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Posts: 384
Threads: 25
Joined: Jan 2017
I've followed your build with interest because I too have the Grendel bug while also favoring a budget build.
My barrel is an Anderson 5R 1/8 16 inch phosphate bought from LIMITLESS, Odin 6.5 Grendel bcg, Matrix 13 incher I had lying around (51.00). Will use CH off of other uppers so all I need to shoot are Mags and ammo.
My shooting date is around mid July and will post results then.
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
05-16-2017, 09:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM by Lastrites.)
Surely you know your flash hider needs to be turned another 180 degrees. Hopefully it serves you well!
Posts: 32
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2017
How much does your setup weigh in at?
Posts: 169
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2015
It's too bad the "M4" contour is seeping into the Grendel world... that profile is made for a 14.5" and a grenade launcher. For a 16" I'd much prefer a mid length gas tube and a smooth profile without the random M4 cut. The M4 contour was made for those who want a non-NFA M4 look-alike.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
41bear Wrote:I've followed your build with interest because I too have the Grendel bug while also favoring a budget build.
My barrel is an Anderson 5R 1/8 16 inch phosphate bought from LIMITLESS, Odin 6.5 Grendel bcg, Matrix 13 incher I had lying around (51.00). Will use CH off of other uppers so all I need to shoot are Mags and ammo.
My shooting date is around mid July and will post results then.
Yea... the budget has been blown. ;-) I ended up buying Go/No Go headspace gauges and then of course I HAD to get the tool to lap my upper and the crows foot to torque my barrel nut..... oh... .then I needed a new vice because my old one just wasn't nice enough and I had to build a new bench.... because the old one was too small.
It is a slippery slope.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
Lastrites Wrote:Surely you know your flash hider needs to be turned another 180 degrees. Hopefully it serves you well!
Yes... I know. I had just hand-assembled all of that to get a picture when the parts arrived. It is now installed with the crush washer and indexed appropriately.
Posts: 70
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2017
Chrazy-Chris Wrote:It's too bad the "M4" contour is seeping into the Grendel world... that profile is made for a 14.5" and a grenade launcher. For a 16" I'd much prefer a mid length gas tube and a smooth profile without the random M4 cut. The M4 contour was made for those who want a non-NFA M4 look-alike.
If I had my druthers I would have bought a pencil lightweight profile. When you are a bottom-feeder you have to make some concessions and the M4 profile was not heavy and didn't materially interfere with anything I wanted. I'll soon see how it shoots and if I "regret" not just buying the Alexander Arms barrel.