Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Polymer mags
#1
I know this has been discussed a bunch and I searched but didnt find anything very recent. Anybody have any updates from any manufacturers on polymer mags for the Grendel? I emailed magpul about a month ago now, and never got a response. My thoughts would be to make them like a Glock mag, if the technology is not available for a "solid" polymer mag. So far this is the only downfall I've found for this cartridge other than not being able to find any hornady 123gr sst's right now(for reloading). Which by the way, hornady customer service says they should be shipping mid March, if anyone is interested.
Reply
#2
I don't own a polymer mag.

What have I been missing?
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#3
I don't know about any polymer mags as all that I use are the ten round steel mags and usually only load five rounds in them. I actually bought a ten round polymer mag for .223 and the thing sucks. The bolt won't lock open after the last round is fired. The bolt locks open just fine with all of my other mags.
Reply
#4
i use a 10 round 556 pmag and just load 3 for playing around at the range the polymer is a little nicer to the brass
Punctuation is for the weak....
Reply
#5
Yeah, I have gotten a few rounds in my 5.56 polymer mags. Just wondering if anybody has heard about any companies making Grendel specific mags. Polymer is a lot easier on the brass and no clunky metal mag(JMO) hitting on stuff while hunting. I havent had any problems out of my 5.56 PMAGS as far as feeding(using 5.56 ammo) or last round hold open, if I have, I can't remember them it's been so long.
Reply
#6
I emailed the popular companies about making a Grendel Mag. Non of them where considering it, Magpul basically said they won't confirm or deny future product offerings.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply
#7
am4966 Wrote:I emailed the popular companies about making a Grendel Mag. Non of them where considering it, Magpul basically said they won't confirm or deny future product offerings.

Thanks
Reply
#8
Twitch Wrote:I know this has been discussed a bunch and I searched but didnt find anything very recent. Anybody have any updates from any manufacturers on polymer mags for the Grendel?
There is no reason for an update. Viable polymer Grendel mags can't be made for the standard AR15 mag well, and nobody is interested in making Grendel lower receivers with enlarged mag wells, and Grendel-specific polymer mags to fit the special lowers.
Reply
#9
stanc Wrote:There is no reason for an update. Viable polymer Grendel mags can't be made for the standard AR15 mag well, and nobody is interested in making Grendel lower receivers with enlarged mag wells, and Grendel-specific polymer mags to fit the special lowers.

Is it because of the diameter of the brass is too large? I was under the impression that if Magupul modified their follower, and tweeked the top feed lips that it would be possible in a pmag. what am I missing?
Reply
#10
maximus924 Wrote:Is it because of the diameter of the brass is too large? I was under the impression that if Magupul modified their follower, and tweeked the top feed lips that it would be possible in a pmag. what am I missing?
P-Mag walls and lips are thicker than on steel mags, which prevents proper stacking and feeding. See following post for pics. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post12643

The issues were pretty well hashed out in that thread. Suggest reading it.

Back in 2011, Bill Alexander said he was designing a hybrid polymer/steel mag, which he said is the only way to get a viable "polymer" Grendel mag that fits in the standard mag well, but obviously that didn't come to fruition. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post12764
Reply
#11
What about lancer
Reply
#12
If the upper and lower set for the LWRCI 6.8 were available to build a Grendel would a follower change allow those P-mags to work?
Reply
#13
Cashflow Wrote:If the upper and lower set for the LWRCI 6.8 were available to build a Grendel would a follower change allow those P-mags to work?
We won't know until somebody actually builds a Grendel on the Six8 receiver set and tests it.

Wanna be the first to give it a shot? Smile
Reply
#14
Actually I would be willing to, I searched for a set last night but could not find one and I don't want to buy a complete rifle just to disassemble it. I need to finish my current build and see how that works out. Waiting on my muzzle brake now, everything else is here.
Reply
#15
stanc Wrote:P-Mag walls and lips are thicker than on steel mags, which prevents proper stacking and feeding. See following post for pics. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post12643

The issues were pretty well hashed out in that thread. Suggest reading it.

Back in 2011, Bill Alexander said he was designing a hybrid polymer/steel mag, which he said is the only way to get a viable "polymer" Grendel mag that fits in the standard mag well, but obviously that didn't come to fruition. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post12764

wraith1516 Wrote:What about lancer

The lancer mag seems to be a perfect match for the Grendel. The have the Steel feed lips and rest is polymer. If the popularity of the Grendel keeps rising then someone will make one. Wefirst need to have more factory ammo options and cheaper Ammo that's not steel case.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply
#16
So far the only advantages to polymer are easier on brass and quieter?

If the feed lips are metal that's one advantage gone.

Hard for me to accept the quieter reason.

I just don't get it.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#17
Its a preference, apparently not for everyone...
Reply
#18
Ive mainly had steel mags most of my life, but lately have gotten more Pmags, Troy, and a pile of lancers before the elect. I'm VERY happy with the Lancer L5AWM's. I sent out a E-mail blast to the top manufacturers last month or so. Keep at em I'm betting pmag or lancer will play if theres enough interest. Polymers are always advancing just a matter of time. IMO. I'd be ok with a glock style steel insert with plastic molded body. I'd prefer all plastic as well as plastic with steel feed lips for reliability and gentle case feeding. I also wish more people would make triple wound wire springs for mags. And in general.
Reply
#19
The Profit Joseph Sith Wrote:I'm betting pmag or lancer will play if theres enough interest.
P-Mag, not a chance of the proverbial snowball in Hades. Unless someone finances development and production of a Six8-type receiver with enlarged mag well, there ain't gonna be a Grendel P-Mag.
Reply
#20
Got a nice email from Magpul re polymer Grendel mags:

Thank you for contacting us, and sorry for the late reply. At this time we do not have plans to offer an AR15/M16 compatible PMAG for larger calibers such as the 6.8x43 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39. The primary reason for this is due to the limited physical space inside of the standard M16 magazine well. In order to accommodate the increased case diameter of these cartridges, and the subsequent widening of the staggered cartridge stack, the walls of the magazine body would have to be dramatically thinned. This is not conducive to a robust polymer magazine design.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)