Posts: 671
Threads: 75
Joined: Sep 2014
What say ye Horde members? How important is lapping the scope rings? Personally, I always try to use good quality ring, so I don't feel the need but some guys think it's a got to have. On the fence about getting the lapping tools but if it's a definate quality improvement, I'm in. Any Horde member making them? Anybody got a set for sale?
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
I have a set but only used them once on a RRA scope mount and it did just the trick to make them right, when I put the alignment bars in to check they were way off of center lapped the rings and everything was good to go after that.
I'm useing the aero ultralight mounts now and not one of them has been off in anyway.
I still have the wheeler lapping tool set if you ever decide to lap some rings drop me a line I will let you borrow them instead of buying some for what my turn out to be a one time use.
Posts: 97
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2016
02-14-2017, 02:03 AM
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 05:15 AM by bigdaddyflo.)
Back in my younger days I would just mount the scope in the rings and shoot. Whenever I removed the scope to put a better scope on, it would have ring marks. Sometime the scope would slide in the rings because there was not enough of the ring contacting the scope and would scratch up the scope pretty good. I couldn't give away those ugly scopes!
As I got older and more experienced, I bought the lapping kits and used them every time I mounted a scope. I found that on some mounts, the alignment rods wouldn't line up. So from my personal experience, I always check alignment. If it's off - even by just a "tad" I lap the rings.
It has become common practice for me to lap the rings. I have the 1" kit and 30mm Kit from Midway. It's one tool every builder should have - or have a friend that has one.
Mine aren't for sale, I am building 3 more rifle this year and will need them as soon as the 20" barrel buy gets going (hint-hint)!
Posts: 311
Threads: 8
Joined: Aug 2016
No question here. I use the alignment bars and lap all my rings
Interesting.to see how little bearing many high dollar.rings have before lapping
Those who find they have a lot of windage adjustment when sighting in would.be suprised what those alignment bars would show them.
Its a useful process
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
Bought a kit to make sure my 2 new Vortex scopes are done right.
My Burris PEPR mount, I was stunned at how little contact there was. First quick pass with the tool only took off 1/2" of the coating from the top and bottom centers, no removal at all on the sides. I did not check for alignment, being a one piece...probably should have, and will for the Nightforce Unimount when my PF Neptune gets home.
Does anyone put clocking marks to make sure they get their front and rear caps back in the same spot?
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 97
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2016
Sticks Wrote:Does anyone put clocking marks to make sure they get their front and rear caps back in the same spot?
I put a piece of tape on both caps mark them with an "F" and "R" and and arrow pointing forward so they can be placed back on in the same exact spot they were lapped.
I also get a towel and cut slots where the rings go and put it over the rifle with the rings through the slots so the lapping compound doesn't fall into the action. Makes clean up a little better.
Posts: 671
Threads: 75
Joined: Sep 2014
Thanks guys, looks like the way to go.
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2016
Good conversation.
For what it's worth, here's a selection of videos from Larry Potterfield on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA/s...ping+rings
Not all the answers, but a good resource just the same.
jpm
Posts: 682
Threads: 56
Joined: Dec 2016
I read about it and bought the kit after many years of never doing it and have lapped over a dozen rifles.....
Does it make difference? To be honest, as long as you use quality rings I have not seen a difference but, I only shoot out to 500 yards these days.
Cheap rings you see a lot of play or lapping marks but, good quality rings not so much.
I still do it just to cover the bases and since I already got the Midway kit as a gift.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ― George Orwell
Posts: 171
Threads: 19
Joined: Jan 2015
Which kit do you use?
NRA Lifer
Posts: 97
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2016
AZ. Old Guy Wrote:Which kit do you use?
I use the "Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping Kit". Cheaper to get the combo versus buying the 1" now and the 30mm later, but I bought them separate because they only had one or the other in stock - not the kit.