Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017, 09:15 PM by Notellumcreek.)
Hey guys newbie here to the grendel world. Well I thought I did all my research properly and ordered a barrel from bhw/ Columbia River arms when they were having a 20 % off customized barrels, only now to realize I don't want the .125 bolt depth as this is not saami. Am I Sol or should I call them and see if I can cancel? How bad is it to go with the .125 bolt depth? I am trying to read as much info as I can on the subject but any extra help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
OK updated after researching... Sounds like some of you that have the .125 bolt depth have had no issues. Other than having to make sure that your bolt matches your barrel what issues are there with the .125?
Posts: 164
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2016
Well, I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel too. If it was me I would probably cancel the BHW order and get what I want, a SAAMI chamber with .136" bolt. From what I've read here the problem with the .125" bolt is shallow extractors that may be prone to breakage. That said, folks here seem to be shooting the BHW .264 LBC with good results.
Cliff
USN Ret., FPD Ret.
Dues Vult
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
If your barrel is headspaced properly to a 0.125 bolt — and I'm sure BHW headspaces properly — there's no real problem.
The technical issue with a 0.125 boltface depth vs. a 0.136 is that the extractor is slightly weakened. May or may not be a problem for you.
In my mind, it's not ideal, but neither is it a disaster. At any rate, I'm under the impression BHW makes good stuff and stands behind it.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
Really appreciate the info. It is going to be strictly a longer range gun and I won't be putting a ton of rounds down range Everytime I go out. Is the biggest issue with the extractor putting a lot of stress on it in a short time or is it just random when the break occurs?
Posts: 164
Threads: 23
Joined: Dec 2016
Here is a link to an explanation on the extractor differences.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...e-Weaponry
Cliff
USN Ret., FPD Ret.
Dues Vult
Posts: 500
Threads: 11
Joined: Aug 2014
I have both headspaces in BHW barrels. My first, an 18" has .125 spacing and has about 1000 rounds through it using a NIB Hamlund Tactical bolt... ZERO problems. My second, a 12.5" has .135 headspace only 200 rounds and AA hard use bolt... also ZERO problems. But apparently BHW isn't chambering in .135 anymore at all, I must've got one of the last ones...
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
Thank you for the input. I guess maybe I didn't screw up. Like I said I got a real good deal for the barrel that I wanted so I will dive into this build for my first as a grendel. I will definitely keep updating once I get the barrel and begin to put stuff together.
Posts: 500
Threads: 11
Joined: Aug 2014
Notellumcreek Wrote:Thank you for the input. I guess maybe I didn't screw up. Like I said I got a real good deal for the barrel that I wanted so I will dive into this build for my first as a grendel. I will definitely keep updating once I get the barrel and begin to put stuff together.
I THINK you'll be fine, one of the concerns I've read here and other sites is shooting Wolf steel through .264 LBC chambers. Both mine shoot it without any jams or hiccups.
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
I plan on doing a proper break in for the barrel and hopefully not putting too much steel if any through it. Got reloading set up and will have to get that dialed in after testing it out. Again thanks for all the input and I hope to contribute more to the site as this build happens and I learn about the grendel stuff
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Get an LMT enhanced bolt for that if you don't have a bolt yet.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
Will definitely grab one of them. Thanks!
Posts: 604
Threads: 45
Joined: Nov 2016
One thing I've heard about BH is that if you aren't completely happy with your barrel you can return it pretty much no questions asked EVEN AFTER FIRING!?!? unheard of... Almost hard to believe. So if you end up having issues with it (doubtful) there is that to keep in mind as a last resort. I'd be interested in a 300, 1000, 5000 round update or something. Good luck!
And welcome to the hoard!
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
thanks! Yeah i will have to check out their return policy but I will proceed with the build and see how she shoots. Should have the barrel in another month or 2 shoot I should probably order some more parts!
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2016
Mark at Precision has the .125 bolts and a heavy duty extracter available. I have the bolt and extracter on order coming in next week. I have the BHW 20" 264lbc and it is a tack driver with factory Hornady and Marks Grendel loads.
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
thanks! really appreciating the info and help guys.
Posts: 289
Threads: 14
Joined: Dec 2015
I have a bhw with the .125 bolt face. Using a cheap 7.62x39 bolt because during the panic buying it's what I fould find. No problems so far but it's a precision rifle not a blaster.