Posts: 162
Threads: 19
Joined: Feb 2015
I have standard spring rifles that don't make the sound, my buddies have some that have pronounced resonating twang. I also have several with the JP.
I think possibly the advantage is the finer tuning with the JP unless a person went custom tuning on their buffer weight.
I don't have complaints on any of my set ups. Although for a reason I can't explain, the JP is my go to.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
cory Wrote:Let's start with that bolt you had to remove to get to the spring. It's a soft metal, tiny (3 or 2.5 I can't remember) allen head bolt held in place by red loctite. Neither soft metal nor tiny allen bits mix with red loctitie. With them using red loctite the bolt should have been a hex head or at least a torx head. I didn't get a chance to acknowledge that the bolt must have red or blue loctite on it as I stripped the bolt with very little torque using a soft metal allen bit.
2nd and by far the worse is that cheap key ring retaining ring thing they used to retain the buffer weights. That thing is a nightmare to get off without stabbing yourself. A standard retaining ring (https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Internal...59&sr=1-23) or an E-clip (https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Internal...59&sr=1-23) should have been used. I can think of a couple more better solutions than that key ring thing.
The best is where they state in their youtube video that the SCS was designed so that users could assemble and disassembled them at the range. I was in my shop with the thing in a vise last night and I was about to toss it in the trash.
I'm not saying that the performance is no better than the T2, if that was the case I would have already tossed mine. However, the increase in performance is no where near the increase in price. If it was a 25% increase in price it might be worth it.
If you read the distractions, it says you need to use heat to release the Red Loctite. I used a heat gun, waited until the LT released, and the screw came out without effort. I never torque on anything with Red LT without using a heat gun first.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
12-30-2016, 06:20 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2016, 06:22 PM by cory.)
Who keeps or even reads the directions with all the legal BS the lawyers have them clutter the directions with? If I keep the directions to everything I have, I'd have a room full of useless paperwork. I shouldn't need an instructions book for such a simple part.
If this was a $20 part, I'd completely agree with you. This thing is to expensive to accept subpar designing.
If they had designed it correctly, I could have applied moderate torque and realized that they must have used loctite without stripping the bolt. Or they could have engraved "Red Loctite - Apply Heat - Cheap Bolt" onto that tube the bolt screws into. For the price they charge it's not to much to ask for.
If they want premium dollar, I want premium engineering.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 311
Threads: 8
Joined: Aug 2016
cory Wrote:Who keeps or even reads the directions with all the legal BS the lawyers have them clutter the directions with? If I keep the directions to everything I have, I'd have a room full of useless paperwork. I shouldn't need an instructions book for such a simple part.
If this was a $20 part, I'd completely agree with you. This thing is to expensive to accept subpar designing.
If they had designed it correctly, I could have applied moderate torque and realized that they must have used loctite without stripping the bolt. Or they could have engraved "Red Loctite - Apply Heat - Cheap Bolt" onto that tube the bolt screws into. For the price they charge it's not to much to ask for.
If they want premium dollar, I want premium engineering.
Opinions.Vary
You shouldn't have wasted your money.
As for me I like it and will continue to buy them.
Posts: 70
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
01-26-2017, 04:12 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2017, 06:38 AM by jcjarmon.)
OK, folks. I'm trying to decide if I'm a complete DA or the next Thomas Edison here. Ive been thinking about buying one of the captive buffer springs. But there expensive, and Ive got all kinds of machine tools. So I decided to try and improve on JP's design. What I came up with is this. The idea is for the device to prevent contact between the buffer spring, and the inter wall of the buffer tube. I found a plastic tube on eBay with an outer diameter of 1 inch, and in inter diameter of 15/16s. I figured I could machine or drill away a few thousands to make everything play nice. But then I thought, why not just line the buffer tube with a piece of copy paper cut 7"x4". Roll it up, and insert it between the buffer spring and the inside wall of the buffer tube. So that's what I did. It works like a dream. No sound at all from the spring when it rubs the inside of the paper lined tube. No wear on the paper ether after several hundred rounds. How didn't some DA in Vietnam not come up with this in 1965. Why would we pay 150 dollars for a captive buffer spring when we can line the inside of the buffer tube with a thin piece of plastic, that cost pennies, that will last forever.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Djamiller Wrote:Just out of curiosity why do you guys care what noise your buffer makes?
+1.
Every time it goes off you need ear protection to prevent permanent deafness so I have never understood the preoccupation with trying to silence the recoil spring. The 'boing' doesn't bother me but permanent deafness does. Consider spending that $140+ on something that will make a meaningful difference; like ammunition and practise, or food for the family.
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
Klem Wrote:+1.
Every time it goes off you need ear protection to prevent permanent deafness so I have never understood the preoccupation with trying to silence the recoil spring. The 'boing' doesn't bother me but permanent deafness does. Consider spending that $140+ on something that will make a meaningful difference; like ammunition and practise, or food for the family.
Suppressed rifles.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
keystone183 Wrote:Suppressed rifles.
Suppressors help but are not the panacea your response might be implying.
Suppressed supersonic is still above 100db, which is above the popular Occ Health and Safety 85db threshold for extended safe sound. Repeated firing of a suppressed supersonic Grendel will permanently damage unprotected ears.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Jcjarmon, so you lined a plastic tube with more plastic.
LOL.
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
Klem Wrote:Suppressors help but are not the panacea your response might be implying.
Suppressed supersonic is still above 100db, which is above the popular Occ Health and Safety 85db threshold for extended safe sound. Repeated firing of a suppressed supersonic Grendel will permanently damage unprotected ears.
Suppressed fire will make the 'sproing' much, much more noticeable. To say the least. Thus the preoccupation with silencing the noisy recoil spring.
Posts: 70
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
No, but I'm thinking that a plastic tube might be the solution. The sound we hear is the metal spring rubbing on the inside of the metal tube. So if there was a slick plastic liner on the inside, like a piece of rolled up x-ray film, there would be no more scrubbing. I also found a rigid polycarbonate tube on eBay with a OD of 1 inch, and an ID of .937 that would do the job for 50 cent. Spray a little Rem oil in the tube, slide it in, and slide the spring inside the tube.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
keystone183 Wrote:Suppressed fire will make the 'sproing' much, much more noticeable. To say the least. Thus the preoccupation with silencing the noisy recoil spring.
'To say the least'...
Exactly!
|