Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
01-07-2017, 07:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 08:17 PM by Dpr64.)
Quick question regarding the Alexander Arms fluted barrel and the AA thread protector I bought for it... It threads on 7/8 of the way and leaves a gap.. Is there supposed to be a crush washer or such that takes up the slack?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8482[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8484[/ATTACH]
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Thread protector, rather than barrel nut. What happens if you flip it around?
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
That is what I mean, thread protector! (I changed it from barrel nut to thread protector just now, thanks!)
Not enough coffee this AM. When I flip it, it will not even start.
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
I've never used one before, but it sure looks like it goes on the other way. Could be a burr on the threads. Do you have a tap you could run through it?
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Dpr, I have the same setup as you- the protector goes on either way, shouldn't be a gap..
Check bbl. threads with a magnifying glass. If fine, send the protector back. Call AA talk to Melissa. She'll help you out.
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
Okay, I will check it out and perhaps call them..... I was not sure if it was supposed to go on all the way and or go on either way..
Thanks!!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
One thing I do is always clean off the barrel threads and inside the muzzle device threads, just like you should on a lug nut and your studs on your car.
You can lock up a thread job really fast if there are any metallic debris/shavings in there.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
New thread protector on its way!