Posts: 46
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2016
New to the forum,new to Grendel,want to learn all I can as I put together my first 6.5--are the $195 stainless fluted AA barrels dimpled for a gas block? I have built a couple dedicated 22 uppers but not messed with gas blocks or tubes, so please be easy on me!! From reading this forum,you guys seem much more into sharing the knowledge than-some- other forums that are "snobs"about their gear. Thanks for any help!!
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Welcome to the forum. Unless they've started in the last year, the barrels aren't dimpled.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I got mine about 6 months ago. No dimples
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
Got mine back in August. Wasn't dimpled
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
Have gotten several over the past year - none dimpled
Posts: 110
Threads: 21
Joined: May 2016
12-23-2016, 05:41 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2016, 05:48 AM by worthen86ford.)
Got mine about 6 months ago and it was not dimpled either. Fwiw, i am using the troy extended low pro gas block under a midwest industries rail. The OD between the gas block journals is smaller, my guess is for ease of removal in case someone drags the set screw on removing a block or maybe to prevent galls. No touching so it is freefloated. Journals dont line up perfect but its better than the standard set screw style i had for the 5.56 barrel. Had bought a DD clamp on low pro block but i was afraid it was not enough clamping area since only the rear screw would be holding tight to the barrel.
I'm curious what other guys are running with this barrel and if anyone is using an adjustable block maybe even a railed one. Been thinking about trying this rifle out as supressor capable and a barrel mounted front buis is preferable to me as well.
ETA: there is another post discussing blocks for this barrel.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
I just use the Sadlak low profile gas block and bed it with Red Loctite, after ensuring I have my port measurements for alignment.
Works fine that way, very pleasant little barrel to shoot.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 339
Threads: 11
Joined: Oct 2016
From my limited experience with them they are tack driving barrels, but I haven't tried 5 shot groups either. It's almost a joy to carry.