Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What punches do you guys use
#1
I'm looking for a good center punch kit with hammer etc... All the ones i look at online seem to have terrible reviews of the punches bending or breaking on first use. Could be user error hitting and not tapping but anyone have a good recommendation? My larue trigger just came in and need to install it.

Thanks in advance
Reply
#2
I used a golf tee on mine.
Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal
Reply
#3
I use a Geisele trigger pin tool just because it came with a trigger I bought years ago. But any punch should work for a trigger because you shouldn't be hitting it too hard (if at all) any way.

http://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...Aucz8P8HAQ
Reply
#4
Geissele trigger punch and Snap-On punches, Snap-On hammers. In a pinch, bullet tip, wooden rod, needle nose plier tip...... even used the firing pin before, worked like a champ!






David
A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...
Reply
#5
other than for roll pins i dont really go out of my way to get a special punch for triggers i typically use the geissele once i bought my first geissele previous to that i used what ever was laying around even still roll pins are the only thing i grab a special punch for
Punctuation is for the weak....
Reply
#6
Starrett.
Reply
#7
Cheap and cheerful works for me.

I don't have a fancy armourers brass hammer. After a while it becomes a 'nice to have' instead of a 'have to have'. Regardless, you'll need a 1/16" punch in the set - not all sets include one this thin.
Reply
#8
I use a cheap brass set I have had since the early 90's. I use roll pin punches where needed and they can be found cheap off of Amazon. I have never needed any kind of an expensive punch for AR work. Trigger pins should be finessed into place without any kind of severe hammer work.
Reply
#9
I have a Lyman set

Blue punches from hardware store

AR15-specific bolt catch roll pin punch

Delrin punch

Brass hammer

Clevis pin pivot pin installation tool (this is worth its weight in gold)
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#10
Blue punches and any other ones from the hardware store^^^^ BANG BANG!!
Reply
#11
I have a KT punch/chisel set from Carquest in the garage. I used dad's Mayhew rollpin punch set for the rollpins on my first build, got a Wheeler set for my second build and they bent like wet noodles... so I had to borrow dad's Mayhew set that is probably older than me again. I see TSC has them for about $40.
Reply
#12
Thanks for all the input. I will check these out.
Reply
#13
Don't overthink it. My first AR was just assembled with Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Tools roll pin punches. Worked flawlessly.
Reply
#14
When I was younger before arthritis started working on my hands and my eyesight was better, I could get by with most anything but now, here is what I use on AR's. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/163844...-set-steel
They are available in both short and long. I got the shot set because I figured they would be less likely to bend. Once the roll pin is inside the hole, any punch will work. For those, I have a set made by Craftsman.
And for starting the bolt catch roll pin I have one of these. https://www.kakindustry.com/reloading-to...walts-tool
Yes, I've spent a little money, but so far I have never put a mark on any lower I've assembled, and want to keep it that way.
Reply
#15
(Yes, I've spent a little money, but so far I have never put a mark on any lower I've assembled, and want to keep it that way.)

I put some Gorilla duct tape over the receiver or any where near I could slip with a punch. It really helps prevent unwanted scratches.
Reply
#16
montana Wrote:(Yes, I've spent a little money, but so far I have never put a mark on any lower I've assembled, and want to keep it that way.)

I put some Gorilla duct tape over the receiver or any where near I could slip with a punch. It really helps prevent unwanted scratches.

Yea, I've done the same thing a few times before I learned about these special roll pin punches. That little dot in the center keeps them where they are supposed to be. These aren't the answer to the OP's question though. He was asking about a set of punches, but a punch isn't needed for the trigger pins. I like the golf tee idea and might have thought of that myself if I played golf. Normally I use the tip of an ink pin to push those with but will be getting a golf tee.
Reply
#17
Wheelhorse Wrote:These aren't the answer to the OP's question though. He was asking about a set of punches, but a punch isn't needed for the trigger pins. I like the golf tee idea and might have thought of that myself if I played golf. Normally I use the tip of an ink pin to push those with but will be getting a golf tee.

I use this punch for the mag catch http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...26484.aspx

My eyes and are not the same these days either LOL. I was commenting on using duct tape to prevent scratches when installing the mag catch. I also use it when installing the forward assist roll pin. Like you I nudge the trigger pins with a plastic sharpie or plastic punches in my punch kit.
Reply
#18
I use a vice to press in the trigger guard rollpin and big vice grips to walk the bolt catch in. I use thick clear packaging plastic on both sides of what I am pressing and masking tape on the receiver when I do the bolt catch pin in case the vice grips shift on me. I only use the roll pin punch for the forward assist and gas block.

I got the idea from iraqveteran88's first video series on youtube of how to assemble an AR.

I am 2 for 2 of not harming a receiver.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)