Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Member, New Grendel (Parts, Progress, Questions)
#1
Hello everyone! I've been stalking these forums for the last few weeks as my interest in a Grendel grew. I've been doing quite a bit of research here - you guys are great! I've never built an AR before, so this is my first foray into building as well as the Grendel platform.

At the moment, I have a S&W MP15 Sport 2. Chances are, for the time being, I will be using that lower and just building the upper (thought I know once I get the upper done -- it will only be a matter of time :eekSmile.

For my upper build, I've picked out a few parts. I'll be getting the Odin Works 15.5" M-Lok Forend (just ordered yesterday). For my barrel and bolt - I think that I've decided on the Lilja AR319 with the Maxim bolt. It appears to be a mid-length gas system. I'll be keeping you all posted as this build comes along.

Now, the question I have at this point is: what type of gas block (manufacturer, model) would you recommend for this particular barrel, and what are your thoughts on the bolt/barrel itself? Happy holidays!
Reply
#2
Just an update on my build: I've placed orders today for The Lilja AR319 barrel with the Maxim bolt, Odin works mid length gas tube, Odin works low profile adjustable gas block, Primary Weapons PRC, Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44, and Vortex Cantilever ring mount!
Reply
#3
I think that's a pretty nice upper build list... Let us know how it goes!
Reply
#4
Where did you find the barrel? I assume it's 18" considering the size of the rail?
Reply
#5
Peck1631 Wrote:Where did you find the barrel? I assume it's 18" considering the size of the rail?
I bought it directly from Lilja's website. I believe it's actually ~19 inches.
Reply
#6
Yep I found it. Should be a badass rifle you got going.
Reply
#7
Just thought I would share some photos of my completed rifle!

[Image: IMG_9139_zpsz9prlajx.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1333_zpstqsk6n1s.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0472_zpsujbhdjzl.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2268_zpssiqojfvx.jpg]
Reply
#8
[IMG][Image: IMG_2016_zpsbfltbu4x.jpg][/IMG]
Reply
#9
Next on the list: Grip, New Buttstock, Trigger!
Reply
#10
Same break in use on my 260 Rem! Works awesome! You will have the recoil of a 17 hmr lol.

That's the same thing I did with my first grendel upper, just used my Ruger AR556 as a starting point!
Reply
#11
Took it out to the range today! Had a blast. Here's a pic with my buddy's Gemtech suppressor on it. Broke down today and bought the MOE Magpul Carbine Mil-Spec stock. Then I really broke down after going to the range ... and got a Timney trigger and Harris Bipod. [Image: IMG_7382_zps7ulm03r5.jpg]
Reply
#12
Nice looking blaster, now for some group pics!
Reply
#13
Welcome aboard, and sweet-looking blaster.

Did you have your gas adjusted down for the suppressor, and where was your ejection pattern?

What does the brass look like?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#14
LRRPF52 Wrote:Welcome aboard, and sweet-looking blaster.

Did you have your gas adjusted down for the suppressor, and where was your ejection pattern?

What does the brass look like?

I actually got tired of waiting on Odin for the adjustable gas block so I just picked up a standard gas block from my local gun store. The brass itself looks ok, just the lip of where the case touches the bullet is dented on one side, so instead of a perfect circle, it is mostly a circle and then a dent in it. Not sure what the cause is but it seems amplely gassed. The shell deflector is a little marred after shooting. I was wondering if it is so gassed that it is slamming the brass against the deflector denting it? The suppressor isn't mine, so I made no adjustments for it.
Reply
#15
Oh and ejection pattern was at about the 3:30 position
Reply
#16
There are some threads on the forum about it, but if you trim about a coil and a half off of your ejector spring, the brass should stop hitting the deflector.
Reply
#17
Here is a group at 200 yards. For reference, smallest distance is .5 inches, and distance between further 2 is approx. 1 inch. [Image: IMG_0362_zpsxnpgk8fc.jpg]
Reply
#18
Nice! But why just a MOE stock, considering your other components?
Reply
#19
danm Wrote:Nice! But why just a MOE stock, considering your other components?

Truthfully I just liked the look of it
Reply
#20
Nice gun...That scope looks a couple of inches forward from the norm. Does it have an extra long eye relief?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)