Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I only have the budget for 1 of the following.
1 piece scope mount (currently have basic weaver rings that don't elevate the optic high enough for comfort but does work)
Jp silent capture spring
New trigger (most likely geissele)
Posts: 1,198
Threads: 52
Joined: Jan 2016
Scope mounts! Nothing else matters if you can get comfy behind the gun in different positions. Spring and trigger are both nice upgrades, but not required.
Posts: 32
Threads: 5
Joined: Jul 2016
I agree with Kilco. Scope mount first. Trigger would be my second priority. The spring, in my opinion, is more of a "luxury" upgrade than something really necessary.
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
I was always taught that the first thing you do when setting up any firearm to shoot...is close your eyes, and bring it to firing position. Then open your sighting eye. Assuming you have reasonable form...if the scope/optic/sights are out of alignment, that's the first thing you fix. A mediocre gun can be fired effectively by a comfortable, competent shooter. A great gun in front of an uncomfortable, compromised shooter will never be more than mediocre.
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
My vote is going with the trigger. The standard, mil spec, AR trigger is horrendous.
Assuming you can see through the scope, go with the trigger.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
One peice scope mount, the grendel is a AR not a bolt action, if your scope is sitting to low with rings get the scope mount first and you will much happer.
If the scope is too low you will never be comfortable shooting it and you never will be as accurate as you could be.
After the scope mount and when you have the funds then get the trigger.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
$180 'Silent' spring
'Silence' + BOOM! = BOOM!
$3 Normal Spring.
'Boing' + BOOM! = BOOM!
$180 is going to go a long way if you are tight with money. Especially in the context the 'silent' spring is not going to help you get rounds on the target. The other two will. I would drop the spring from your list.
Posts: 151
Threads: 22
Joined: Jul 2016
The mil spec trigger is easy to improve with a little bit of polishing the hammer sear and the trigger contact points with a fine stone and some elbow grease. That doesn't cost anything other than time.
Posts: 87
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2016
Retro Wrote:The mil spec trigger is easy to improve with a little bit of polishing the hammer sear and the trigger contact points with a fine stone and some elbow grease. That doesn't cost anything other than time.
Funny, I was just about to post this exact thing. I was talking to a friend about it the other day. He uses the JP enhanced reliability springs, and when he installs them he adds a dab of flitz to the mechanism. A piece of paracord to pull up on the hammer while pulling the trigger, and he says they polish pretty quickly (you can feel a major difference after 20 trigger pulls). But even better, there's no chance of over polishing, or rounding anything off. I've felt the triggers on his rifles...and they're impressively smooth and crisp. That's actually what caused me to ask him about it. I called BS when he smiled and told me they were mil spec lol...then he explained.
Posts: 339
Threads: 11
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Ok so jpscs is out. I'm Going to be shopping the black Friday sales. If they are good enough maybe i can get both the trigger and the mount. Looking at geissele triggers. If anyone has scope mount suggestions, i will take them.
Posts: 147
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2016
I use a PEPR mount on most of my ARs because they are solid and don't break the bank (around $70). Leaves other cash free for new stuff.
I have had one on my "go to" .556 for years holding a 1st Gen Razor 1-4x and I haven't had any issues.
Posts: 35
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2016
Aero makes a great scope mount that's lightweight and pretty inexpensive. And look at the Geissele G2S, it's a bit cheaper than the SSA, regularly $165 but you can find it on sale for as low as $105 or so.
Posts: 169
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2015
Bigs28 Wrote:Ok so jpscs is out. I'm Going to be shopping the black Friday sales. If they are good enough maybe i can get both the trigger and the mount. Looking at geissele triggers. If anyone has scope mount suggestions, i will take them.
Check out the Larue MBT - it's supposed to rival the Geissele SSA-E and it's only $125 (although slow shipping times right now since everyone wants one). That should leave you enough cash to find a budget one-piece mount. Check out SWFA, a rebranded Burris PEPR. The Aero looks nice, too. You might be able to save some money by going used.
Posts: 29
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2015
CrisAnderson27 Wrote:Funny, I was just about to post this exact thing. I was talking to a friend about it the other day. He uses the JP enhanced reliability springs, and when he installs them he adds a dab of flitz to the mechanism. A piece of paracord to pull up on the hammer while pulling the trigger, and he says they polish pretty quickly (you can feel a major difference after 20 trigger pulls). But even better, there's no chance of over polishing, or rounding anything off. I've felt the triggers on his rifles...and they're impressively smooth and crisp. That's actually what caused me to ask him about it. I called BS when he smiled and told me they were mil spec lol...then he explained.
Mr. Geisselle has said to grease your trigger and not to clean. Over time the gun powder residue and grease will polish and improve the trigger.... basically the same as adding a metal polish like flitz.
Posts: 169
Threads: 21
Joined: Aug 2015
kb18no1 Wrote:Mr. Geisselle has said to grease your trigger and not to clean. Over time the gun powder residue and grease will polish and improve the trigger.... basically the same as adding a metal polish like flitz.
I can confirm this with my experience - I have an SSA in a beat-around rifle that gets shot a lot more than the precision rig I have an SSA-E in. After the couple thousands rounds of "break in," the SSA feels very similar to the SSA-E.
Posts: 35
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 187
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2011
Rock River Arms Hi-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount sits higher than PEPR, less expensive than PEPR and made in the USA. It also leaves a little money left over to spend on some trigger work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Geissele announced their black Friday deal. They are doing 30% off on ssa-e trigger bringing it to $168. The larue mbt is $125. Do you think the geissele is worth the extra $43?
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
I'd go with the mount. A gritty trigger can be mitigated to some degree by proper technique. A poorly aligned or positioned scope can only be mitigated by introducing unwanted movement and/or pressure at the shooter's cheek weld. Doing so will prevent you from developing good technique, and possibly lead to bad shooting habits. Consistency is the key to accuracy and with a bad cheek weld you will seldom achieve it.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
|