Help with Loctite removel
#1
I have two gas blocks with cured red Loctite residue on the inside block and on the bolt threads. Does anyone have a proven method to remove the cured Red Loctite? I have tried acetone without any luck. Thanks for any advice.
Reply
#2
I think I remember somebody saying heat. I don't know if a blower drier would work, somebody may have more info.
Reply
#3
need@ 300 degrees, heatgun should do it
Reply
#4
Red Locktite?

Not on my gun

Try a heat gun and get it as hot as you can

If that doesn't work cut it off.
Reply
#5
Rickc Wrote:Red Locktite?

Not on my gun

Try a heat gun and get it as hot as you can

If that doesn't work cut it off.

I have the gas blocks removed from the barrel. I used a small butane torch and the Loctite loosened enough to remove the gas blocks. The barrel cleaned up nicely but the gas blocks are a different story.
Reply
#6
Younger Wrote:I have the gas blocks removed from the barrel. I used a small butane torch and the Loctite loosened enough to remove the gas blocks. The barrel cleaned up nicely but the gas blocks are a different story.

Get the next one
Reply
#7
Thanks for the help.
Reply
#8
I used a propane torch to remove the low profile gas block BCM put on my gun when I wanted to change the hand guard. The finish on your barrell and gas components is designed to get hot. Really hot. Hotter than you're likely to make them with a propane torch. You're not going to harm them if your careful. I had to hold mine with a pair of pliers with a glove for marring protection, and wear leather gloves to break loose the screws because of the heat coming off the barrel. It was a pain but once it broke it was easy.

Gun vise. Can't do it right without one, IMO. I would definitely recommend a 3/32 hardened allen bit in a driver over the allen wrenches. Make sure you've seated the allen bit completely and correctly. If you round out the screws you'll really hate yourself. Take your time and things should go well.

I got the gas block so hot that my soft blow left residue behind from the two strikes to get it to rotate on the barrel. Meh. It came off, and only I know about the source of the residue...

Just my experience FWIW.
Reply
#9
Use a heat gun or hair dryer, not open flame on your barrel.

It will loosen the adhesive after a while, and you'll smell it and see it smoke.

It just takes a bit of patience, but not that long really.
Reply
#10
Ummm,,,, never use red Loctite on purpose. On any rifles! If blue- use Kroil - kroll oil- ask Bill A. He also stated that a std. hairdryer can destroy the temper of the upper rec., and the bbl. nut torque capabilities. Just to remove the Blue Loctite----

Soak it- Be patient for a few days.

Umm, if red- try a few drops of laquer thinner- a few times per day- till it loosens up. It's acrylate based. super glue gunky, It wont hurt any anodized coatings- if done properly.

Just a mess to wipe away- later-- anyone here have kids? Same mess... Yuck


Good grief in hymer ! All of this info is online anywhere .com.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)