Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
Finally got most of my orders in Friday. Was able to get this far...almost there.
I am still waiting on magazines and optics.
This is my first 6.5 Grendel. Still up in the air about what scope to put on it... Any suggestions?
Posts: 111
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2015
What do you plan on using the rifle for? This will decide what type of scope to search for.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Looks like a 16" barrel, if it were me I'd get a 2.5-10 or 3-9 minimum. I like to shoot at longer range so I'd still get a 20 MOA one piece mount. I've got the bug where I like to ring steel way out there. If you never plan on shooting past 700 yards you can get by without a canted mount.
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
Vasux86 Wrote:What do you plan on using the rifle for? This will decide what type of scope to search for.
Good question. This is primarily going to be a hunting rifle. Shots in the 100-250 yard range.
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
VASCAR2 Wrote:Looks like a 16" barrel, if it were me I'd get a 2.5-10 or 3-9 minimum. I like to shoot at longer range so I'd still get a 20 MOA one piece mount. I've got the bug where I like to ring steel way out there. If you never plan on shooting past 700 yards you can get by without a canted mount.
I have never shot at a target farther than 300 yards. I would like to try it some time, but that is not why I built this rifle.
Posts: 56
Threads: 5
Joined: Sep 2015
My .264 LBC has a 4-12x Vortex Viper on it. Fantastic glass, great scope.
[SIZE="3"]If it ain't fun, why bother doin' it?[/SIZE]
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
Great... just realized that my bolt and my barrel are the wrong combination. Just ordered a new bolt. Problem solved except now I have an extra bolt that is worthless to me.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Brett A Wrote:Great... just realized that my bolt and my barrel are the wrong combination. Just ordered a new bolt. Problem solved except now I have an extra bolt that is worthless to me.
Why couldn't you exchange or return it?
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
I am going to keep the carrier, just replace the bolt.
Posts: 990
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Brett A Wrote:I am going to keep the carrier, just replace the bolt.
Hold on to it. That bolt may be worth much more in the next 5-6 months.
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
ricsmall Wrote:Hold on to it. That bolt may be worth much more in the next 5-6 months.
You may be right. I hope not, but you very well may be right.
Posts: 111
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2015
Brett A Wrote:I have never shot at a target farther than 300 yards. I would like to try it some time, but that is not why I built this rifle.
What's your price range?
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
Vasux86 Wrote:What's your price range?
I'd like to keep it under $500. Closer to $300 if I could. I like the Vortex Viper 3.5-10x44. Found it for under $300. Just seeing what glass folks are using on the 6.5 Grendel.
Posts: 56
Threads: 5
Joined: Sep 2015
Brett A Wrote:I'd like to keep it under $500. Closer to $300 if I could. I like the Vortex Viper 3.5-10x44. Found it for under $300. Just seeing what glass folks are using on the 6.5 Grendel.
The 4-12x Viper with BDC reticle that I have was under $400 at a local gun store.
[SIZE="3"]If it ain't fun, why bother doin' it?[/SIZE]
Posts: 111
Threads: 5
Joined: Apr 2015
I would recommend a Vortex scope. You get a great product backed by an unbeatable warranty. Keep in mind that if you get a used Vortex scope online and something is off on it, you can send it in and have it fixed or replaced.
Cameralandny usually has some good deals on glass, especially after SHOT show.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
I have a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 never mounted i can let go of if your intrested.
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
Just ordered this....
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Riflescope
Couldn't pass up the deal.
Posts: 136
Threads: 8
Joined: Mar 2016
Another vote for Vortex. Can't beat the price for the quality and the warranty is top notch.
Posts: 76
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2016
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7880[/ATTACH]
Wish it would stop raining... I finally got the scope mounted and magazines. It's ready to rock!
Posts: 136
Threads: 8
Joined: Mar 2016
+1 for Vortex. I admit that I've drank the Vortex kool aid but for the money their products are hard to beat.