Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Aug 2015
I just picked up a box of Nosler 129 Accubond Long Range bullets. I have 8208xbr, RL15, Benchmark, Varget, R10x powders. Can I get some Starting loads for the following powders? These will be shot out of a 18" OdinWorks barrel
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Out of those powders, I would try RL15 and Varget, but I would prefer something else. Benchmark, R10x, and 8208 XBR are fast for the 129gr ABLR.
For Varget, you could start with 25.7gr and work up in .3gr increments. I would stop at 27.0gr if you get there.
For RL15. It's right next to AA2520 and N140 on the burn rate chart, and is extruded with kernel sizes larger than 8208 XBR.
Nosler and Hornady both have data for RL15, but Nosler's is under either a 123gr NCC or 125gr Partition, not the 129gr ABLR.
Hornady has data for the 129gr SST/IB/SP, but the jackets are different than the ABLR, as is the bearing surface and bullet length.
In the 9th Edition from Hornady, they show RL15 under 129gr Hornady pills with a start load of 23.8gr and max of 27.6gr.
They also show the same data for Varget to within .1gr, with the same start load and 27.5gr as max under the Hornady 129gr bullets.
Don't extrapolate that to mean that the data is interchangeable with the 129gr ABLR though, as my experience with the ABLR suggests that it builds pressure faster than the 129gr SST.
Work up in .3gr increments and use a chronograph. I'm sure others would be interested to see your results with the 129gr ABLR on RL15 and Varget.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 358
Threads: 24
Joined: Dec 2015
i bought a bunch of these pills, what is the best powders that i can find to work????
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
jonny rotton Wrote:i bought a bunch of these pills, what is the best powders that i can find to work????
I've had great results with CFE from an 18".
I would also recommend LeveRevolution.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Aug 2015
What would be a good starting load with LeveRevolution?
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
65grendelCris Wrote:What would be a good starting load with LeveRevolution?
If it were me, I would start with 28.7gr of LeveRevolution. There is a bunch of data for LVR under 129gr SST, 130gr Sierra Game King, and 130gr Swift Scirocco in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks.
Max loads range from 30.0 to 30.9gr with all those pills, so I would run 3 ladders with .3gr increments over a chrono and record the data. See what COL your chamber will allow, then look for a mag length of about 2.265" if you have a SAAMI chamber.
28.7
29.0
29.3
29.6
29.9
30.2
30.5
30.8
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com