Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2016
Ok gentlemen. I'm new to the site,and new to building weapons. I figure this is the best place to get some answers. I'm getting ready to finish my first 80% lower and had some questions. Is there a difference in the mags for a 6.5 versus 5.56, and if so, does anything different need to be done to the magwell? Also, can a std. mil-spec buffer and buffer spring be used, or does it need to be 6.5 specific? I intend to top this with an Alexander Arms 20" or 24" upper assy. I'm looking forward to wringing this out at distance, if I don't screw anything up.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Hello and Welcome to the horde Sir.
Yes the grendel does take 6.5 grendel mags from my understanding the internal parts are diffrent in the mags.
I dont belive anything needs to be done to the magwell because my grendel is built on a milspec lower made by anderson and the grendel mags fit it just fine.
And yes a mil spec buffer and spring can be used, I personal use the JP scs it really smoothed out the rifle but it isnt needed a normal buffer and spring will work. Most guys on here from what I have read tend to use a heavyier buffer then normal because the grendel does recoil a lil more then the 5.56 does.
Hope this helps and Im sure more experenced members will be along shortly to give you more advice.
Again Welcome to the horde.
Posts: 171
Threads: 19
Joined: Jan 2015
I have used a 5.56 mag before and it seemed to work fine.
NRA Lifer
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
patientpatriot Wrote:Ok gentlemen. I'm new to the site,and new to building weapons. I figure this is the best place to get some answers. I'm getting ready to finish my first 80% lower and had some questions. Is there a difference in the mags for a 6.5 versus 5.56, and if so, does anything different need to be done to the magwell? Also, can a std. mil-spec buffer and buffer spring be used, or does it need to be 6.5 specific? I intend to top this with an Alexander Arms 20" or 24" upper assy. I'm looking forward to wringing this out at distance, if I don't screw anything up.
Mags are significantly different, as are the followers in the mag. Get Grendel specific mags, which have a different rib set up secondary to the diameter of the cases. The outside dimensions of the mag are the same as a 5.56 mag, the difference is where the internal ribs are. Standard mag wells work fine, but make sure you are to the mil spec measurements. Occasionally someone finishes their 80% lower and finds that they are too small in the mag well because they didn't quite get that last few thousandths out! Good luck with your build.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 88
Threads: 11
Joined: Sep 2014
patientpatriot Wrote:Ok gentlemen. I'm new to the site,and new to building weapons. I figure this is the best place to get some answers. I'm getting ready to finish my first 80% lower and had some questions. Is there a difference in the mags for a 6.5 versus 5.56, and if so, does anything different need to be done to the magwell? Also, can a std. mil-spec buffer and buffer spring be used, or does it need to be 6.5 specific? I intend to top this with an Alexander Arms 20" or 24" upper assy. I'm looking forward to wringing this out at distance, if I don't screw anything up.
It would be wise to consider Precision Firearms, better customer service and inventory-tracking.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Welcome aboard. Yes, a standard extension tube and buffer is used.
The 6.5 Grendel uses the same receiver set as the 5.56 AR15. Only differences are the barrel, bolt, and mags.
AA shipping times have been reduced significantly, with notifications.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2016
Thanks to all for the helpful info. I'm not new to weapons, but I am new to building them(at least the lower). I'm looking forward to getting started, but I may need to lean on you guys from time to time. Thanks again.
Posts: 133
Threads: 14
Joined: Apr 2015
Patientpatriot,
Do you have pics to show?
It would be interesting to see your progress carving the 80%
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2016
I don't have any pics right now. My brother actually owns the jig, which I must say is a very well engineered piece. We cut his lower this past weekend, and we took our time so as to not screw anything up. I'll have to say, once it was all done, it turned out great. I'll probably cut mine some time in the next few weeks and try to get some pics. BTW, the jig came from an outfit called 80%arms. It costs more than some, but imho, it's worth every penny. It's made well enough to cut numerous lowers.
Posts: 82
Threads: 6
Joined: Dec 2014
I have a 80%arms jig that I've used to finish a few lowers, I'm pleased with the jig. Every 80% I finished was first assembled as a pistol, to be able to go up to rifle/carbine and back to pistol if I choose to. Using a 80% lower that I finished out on my 6.5 Gr AA upper.
Posts: 604
Threads: 45
Joined: Nov 2016
wideglidejoe Wrote:I have a 80%arms jig that I've used to finish a few lowers, I'm pleased with the jig. Every 80% I finished was first assembled as a pistol, to be able to go up to rifle/carbine and back to pistol if I choose to. Using a 80% lower that I finished out on my 6.5 Gr AA upper.
I thought about this myself but make sure you don't put a stock on it when anyones looking  i just finished the first step with my Anderson 80 closed trigger lower and modulus arms HD jig. So far so good. Works very well. I wish i could upload pics directly as i don't normally like to post post personal stuff online.
Posts: 133
Threads: 14
Joined: Apr 2015
Get your magazines directly from Alexander Arms. For some reason I have found those are the only ones that work reliably.
|