Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
I have a Sabre defense barrel that I think has a problem, its a carbine, chromed lined, m4 style barrel. Two different bolts will not close on a go or no-go gauge, but will close on factory Hornady ammo... I do not have to force the bolt to turn it closed with the ammo. Is it safe to build a rifle with this barrel?
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have never bothered to check a barrel before, but recently acquired the Manson gauges and thought it might be a good idea to check this one.
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Hi Jurassic,
If I were in your shoes, I'd check to see where bullets start hitting the lands. I've never run a headspace gauge on my sabre barrel, but the 123sst's start hitting the lands at about 2.300" COL. Different people have different comfort levels. My sabre barrel shoots way better than a chromed barrel ought to, so I think as long as you're not jamming bullets into the lands, you don't have much to lose by assembling it.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Thats a good idea, thanks.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
There have been a few issues with chamber reamers from different vendors. I don't know if a person should use headspace gauges by the same maker of the chamber reamers. I know there have been issues with people trying to sort out go- no go gauges in 7.62 X 51 and 308 Win.
Mark at Precision Firearms is selling some of Sabre Defense barrels which was left over enventory after Sabre went out of business. I'd call Mark at PF or even Alexander Arms if I still had concerns about the headspace.
Posts: 255
Threads: 19
Joined: Sep 2015
make sure you have a .135/.136 deep bolt--
you could have two .125 deep bolts ???
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
I do have the correct bolts, they work with the gauges in a rifle I built with a Lilja barrel. Thanks for everyones input, I think I'll give Mark a call.
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Are you removing the extractor and ejector from the bolts before checking the gages? I've heard that can make a difference.
Posts: 452
Threads: 27
Joined: Dec 2014
Drillboss Wrote:Are you removing the extractor and ejector from the bolts before checking the gages? I've heard that can make a difference.
This X2, I just finished chambering a barrel. If the headspacing is "tight", it will make a difference.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Yes, they are extra stripped bolts I have, but thanks for the tip. I'll check the barrel again just to make sure I'm not missing something with the factory ammo.
Posts: 452
Threads: 27
Joined: Dec 2014
I wouldn't worry about the ammo. My concern would be the GO and NO-GO gauges. If they don't close with the correct stripped bolt, something is out of spec. somewhere.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Im also going to shoot an email to REDX concerning the problem.
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
12-16-2015, 06:32 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 07:14 PM by txgunner00.)
I ordered a barrel from Red X almost 2 years ago now. It was defective (chamber our of spec) and the short story is I got screwed out of my money. RedX never responded to any of my attempts to contact them and in the end I had to get a different barrel from Mark @ Precision Firearms.
Hopefully you have better luck.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...ace-gauges
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 452
Threads: 27
Joined: Dec 2014
What is the length of your go and no-go gauges? Have you measured them? I have a go gauge that I can measure tomorrow.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
I have not measured them, I'll check them when I get home in a few days.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
Thanks for everyone's help! Sorry I have not updated the thread. I finally called Mark at PF and he told me they have a box of these barrels with the same problem, they're junk.
Who else is making chromed lined barrels, anyone?
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
jurassic Wrote:Thanks for everyone's help! Sorry I have not updated the thread. I finally called Mark at PF and he told me they have a box of these barrels with the same problem, they're junk.
Who else is making chromed lined barrels, anyone?
Is there a reason you want CL?
After going through this same circus myself, I had Mark make me a 12.5" barrel using a unlined Sabre blank which he sent off & had melonited. I've been very happy with it and have taken 2 deer at extended ranges (for an SBR) with it.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 248
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
I was hoping to find one that was inexpensive for shooting steel case ammo, and I had bought the one I have to cut down.
txgunner00 Wrote:Is there a reason you want CL?
After going through this same circus myself, I had Mark make me a 12.5" barrel using a unlined Sabre blank which he sent off & had melonited. I've been very happy with it and have taken 2 deer at extended ranges (for an SBR) with it.
|