11-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Folks, want to build a 600 yard plus rig. Want to know, 22 bull or 24 inch bull? Want it to be able to go to 1000 yards. Looking at Radical Arms, 24" or maybe a JSC 22" SS bull. Any help would be appreciated. A2
|
Long Range rig, 24 or 22 inch barrel?
|
|
11-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Folks, want to build a 600 yard plus rig. Want to know, 22 bull or 24 inch bull? Want it to be able to go to 1000 yards. Looking at Radical Arms, 24" or maybe a JSC 22" SS bull. Any help would be appreciated. A2
11-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Is an extra 50 to 60fps worth it to you? If it is go with the 24 inch barrel. Either can get you to 1K
11-01-2015, 05:15 AM
I have shot out to a thousand with a 22 inch barrel, it is definetly do-able. If I remember correctly I had 30 MOA of drop to get to 1000 yards. I don't think 2 inches will make a bit of difference. Joseph
My 16" 6.5 Grendel get 2450 FPS with factory 123 grain A-Max, at that speed the A-Max stays supersonic past 1100 yards. I only have enough elevation on my 16" to get to 800 yards but with a mil-dot scope I can hold over to get there. I put a 20 MOA base on my scope and my reloads using 123 grain Nosler CC in my 20" 6.5 Grendel at 2450 FPS is GTG at 1000+ yards.
Going from 24" to 20" barrel on average your probably loosing 80 to 100 FPS. Run the numbers in a ballistic calculator but 2450 FPS at sea level will keep a 123 grain match bullet supersonic to 1100+ yards.
11-01-2015, 04:10 PM
I have been shooting 1000 with my 18" jp with good results. I initially ordered a 22 and after a few conversations with Ben at jp. I switched it to the 18" barrel.
11-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Folks,
Decided on a 24 inch bull barrel from X-Caliber barrels from Montana. 1:8 twist, target crown, 416R stainless .264LBC. 6 groove rifling, this company has an excellent reputation, they are a small custom barrel maker. $255 shipped. It will be paired with a rifle length gas tube, a Seekins Engineering adjustable gas block. The Upper is an M4E1, with hand guard 15" from Schuyler Arms made by Aero Precision. Bolt is a 7.62x39 bolt from AR15 Depot, as will be the bolt carrier. Optics will be a SWFA super Sniper in 10x42MQ. A2
11-01-2015, 10:10 PM
usmcm16a2 Wrote:Folks, Sounds good let us know how it shoots!
11-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Folks,
Cancelled my order with X-Caliber. In keeping with the budget build, Double Star had a smoking deal on a 24" 1:9 stainless, with gas block and bolt for $289. And they had it. A2
11-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Sounds good, but ive been told that x-caliber is on part with Shilen for anyone else that wants to give them a try.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time. Aim small, miss small!
11-09-2015, 04:00 PM
You're not going to see a huge difference in velocity between a 22" and 24" barrel, even in calibers with more case capacity.
You can plug in all the numbers into this velocity estimator from JASmith's website: http://shootersnotes.com/VelEstim.php Grendel case data is: 35 gr H2O 1.520" case length It's a fun calculator either way, and does not use a linear function, but an algorithm based on real world pressure data and multiple data points from different barrel lengths. You really see a steep curve when the barrels get shorter, and a flat curve at the longer lengths. There's also a velocity estimator graph in Volume I of the reloading handbooks where you can see this.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here: www.AR15buildbox.com
11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
usmcm16a2 Wrote:Folks, Are there different "accuracy capabilities" for match grade barrels? I see some prices similar to yours and other upwards of 800 just for the barrel. I was under the impression there were non mil-spec, mil-spec, match grade and match grade "select" barrels or something like that. |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|