Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Source for bolts and barrel extensions
#1
I ordered a couple of 1:8 twist stainless barrels today, and need to find a source for bolts and barrel extensions. I haven't decided whether or not to go with NiB, but if the bolt/barrel extension need to be "trued" then there's really not much sense in paying for the NiB coating is there?

thanks for your comments.

CC
Reply
#2
I'd contact Dan Lilja.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#3
You can get barrel extensions from Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com/items/ar-15-bar...nsion.aspx

There are several sources for bolts. AA, Underground Tactical, and JP come to mind.

Trying to ID chamberings with types adds confusion. If you just indicate the bolt face depth, then we know exactly what you're talking about.

The 6.5 Grendel uses a .136" bolt face depth, with a longer bolt tail to set up firing pin protrusion correctly.

I would lean away from Nickel Boron extensions, especially if you want to be able to customize the fit of the bolt with truing the face, removing the sharp edges that cause brass shaving, etc.

NiB extensions should really be matched with NiB bolts.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#4
We sell both bolts and extensions (406) 826-3084 . I make the extensions in house and we've got thousands. The pictures on our website are out of date. We hard turn all mating surfaces after heat treat. If you want some slick pics send me a message.
Reply
#5
Sorry about adding the confusion. I'm sick with the bronchitis and a viral infection that I caught from my wife. If I have the reamer, and am making my own barrels/chamberings I'll be doing them to what ever depth I want, but I want to cut them to the type II chambering .136 depth on the bolt face. I do have the go/no go gauges. I'd like the thicker walls on the bolts listed on Rainer Arms website, but they are out of stock and have been for a while.

I'll need to order a barrel extension wrench as well.
Reply
#6
Thanks Adam.
Reply
#7
Thanks again Adam, just placed an order for 2 bolts and 2 extensions.
Reply
#8
cory Wrote:I'd contact Dan Lilja.

I owe you an apology. I really thought you were being sarcastic until Adam jumped into the conversation. The other barrel mfg I contacted didn't want to sell extensions unless they were on their completed barrels. Sorry for jumping to a wrong conclusion.
Reply
#9
Don't worry about it man. I should have been more descriptive.

I mentioned Dan(no knock on Adam as that's who I should have pointed you to) because I had discussed buying an extension and barrel from them just before I started the original Lilja Group Buy. Had that not happened I was going to buy a barrel and extension from Lilja and have my gunsmith chamber it.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#10
No problem
Reply
#11
In case anyone is wondering I asked and the bolts are 9310, and I ordered stainless extensions.
Reply
#12
What barrels are you gonna use? Sounds like a fun project coming... Hope you feel better soon.

If you like Rainer Arms bolts, contact Young Mfg since they are the ones who made them.

Am
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)