Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
10-27-2015, 04:38 AM
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2015, 12:43 AM by Mecharius.)
Trigger
When it comes to looking at triggers, I feel I have been spoiled. I had grown accustomed to seeing trigger weight listed in ounces, not pounds, with my 700. So looking at AR triggers and trying to pick one based off of my previous experience is not going well.
So I am looking for suggestions. Lighter is always better, but I'm not sure at what point it would be too light for me on this platform. My only real experience with the AR platform has been my service rifle. I own an AR10, but honestly haven't put more than a few rounds through it.
What weight would be suggested for a long range target rifle?
Single stage or two stage?
Recommendations for brand?
Gas Block
I am looking into .936 gas blocks and have come into a problem in deciding which to go with. Or more specifically, what type. I'm still a little confused about which is better, set screw or clamp on.
Having no experience with this and going off of something I had previously been told, the clamp on is the better option. Not remembering the exact details of the reason, just something about how the set screw type did not put even pressure on the barrel.
As far as brands, I have been looking at Syrac and SLR.
Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
I'm probably going to end up with several other questions. I may consider converting this into a general post asking about all questions related to my build rather than flooding the forum out with each one individually.
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Two Stage Geissele National Match. You do not want an AR with less trigger weight than you can get there.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-m...igger.html
Thank you. I think I've already settled on this one. That was easy.
Posts: 214
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
I expect to catch hell for this but, my opinion is that super light triggers are an accident waiting to happen! Just my opinion. 3.5 lbs is plenty light enough for target work.
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
This is more than anything else going to be a bench rifle, so many of the issues which could arrive from a light weight trigger will be null. Although, I am speaking from bolt action experience and not semi auto.
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
Might look at the AR 15 Gold, love mine
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Mecharius Wrote:https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-m...igger.html
Thank you. I think I've already settled on this one. That was easy.
Great triggers. Among those who use ARs for precision work, you won't find many others.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 497
Threads: 41
Joined: Aug 2013
10-27-2015, 02:20 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2015, 02:35 PM by SG4247.)
Bwild97 Wrote:I expect to catch hell for this but, my opinion is that super light triggers are an accident waiting to happen! Just my opinion. 3.5 lbs is plenty light enough for target work.
Well I totally disagree with that!
I shoot AR gold triggers set at 20 ounces.
If I could get them to run reliably at a lower pull weight, I definitely would.
I've shot triggers as low as 2 oz, which most of the competitive shooters use.
The world champion silloette pistol shooter here in OKC, shoots a 6BR bolt action pistol - with a JP recoil eliminator brake and a 2 oz trigger at 500M!
Pistol! At 547 yards!
(It is loud as hell with that short barrel, JP tank brake using a rifle cartridge)
Posts: 497
Threads: 41
Joined: Aug 2013
10-27-2015, 02:28 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2015, 02:30 PM by SG4247.)
By the way,
AR GOLD trigger is on sale now at Midway USA for like $250 something.
I will be willing to sell my one and only Geissele SSA adjustable if anyone is interested.
Used one range session.
PM for more info.
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2013
Wilsons, to me, are most like a bench target rifle trigger.
Posts: 73
Threads: 2
Joined: Nov 2011
I've always preferred a two stage trigger. Now, I'm a Geissele Kool-Aid guy. I really love the SSA-E but found it to be too light for Eastern Washington cold weather hunting with gloves (or nearly frozen fingers). Switched to the SSA & found the best set-up for me. The E is now in the (Summer) varmint & informal paper puncher set-up & works great. If I had adjustable triggers, they would be set right where these are now.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
If you're hunting with gloves, the AA Tactical trigger with narrow trigger bow is a good option. There is more tactile feel to the thin trigger as opposed to normal bows.
It also out-performed every other trigger for Pre-Ignition Vibration in Sniper Magazine's test between it, the Geissele, and the Hyper-Fire.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 73
Threads: 2
Joined: Nov 2011
That's true. I take the wide shoe off from a single action Ruger for Winter use, too.
Posts: 168
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
I know this will get a laugh but I bought RRA @ 62 bucks and cannot tell much difference. Have several Geissele and love them, do not see much difference. Probably would not be the best for bench rifle, for any other app would be great.
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
SG4247 Wrote:Well I totally disagree with that!
I shoot AR gold triggers set at 20 ounces.
If I could get them to run reliably at a lower pull weight, I definitely would.
I've shot triggers as low as 2 oz, which most of the competitive shooters use.
The world champion silloette pistol shooter here in OKC, shoots a 6BR bolt action pistol - with a JP recoil eliminator brake and a 2 oz trigger at 500M!
Pistol! At 547 yards!
(It is loud as hell with that short barrel, JP tank brake using a rifle cartridge)
2 oz seems a little low, even for my benchrest tastes.
I feel good when I hit the 100 yard target with my pistol. Shooting past that would be impressive. Over 500 yards, insane
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
After reading reviews as well as this post, fairly certain I am going with the Geissele
Posts: 109
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2015
To prevent myself from flooding out this forum I added a bit to the OP about Gas Blocks that I would be interested in hearing what the members of this forum have to say. But to sum it up, I am trying to decide whether to go set screw or clamp on.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Giessele NM for bench work (adjustable).
Clamp-on for gas. The design has more block/barrel surface area contact for a better seal and stability. The set screw design works by pulling the block down so only the top of the block and screws are in contact with the barrel. The lower half of the block on a macroscopic level is not in contact with the barrel at all. That said, the clamp-on's need a little more clearance, so might not fit inside small ID handguards (e.g. Centurion MR).
|