Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Shooting steel at 1000 yards
#1
Does the Grendel need a swinging steel target for 1000 yards?

Or does a static steel target work? Can you hear hits with ear protection?

What size do you recommend?

Thank you very much
Reply
#2
Depends on the steel and weather conditions. Hits on 3/8" are fairly easy, if the wind isn't heavy. If the wind is running away from you or its 1/2" steel, its much harder. Obviously, hanging steel rings better than firmly fixed steel. In my experience rounds ring better than squares.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#3
kb18no1 Wrote:Does the Grendel need a swinging steel target for 1000 yards?

Or does a static steel target work? Can you hear hits with ear protection?

What size do you recommend?

Thank you very much

KB:

What Bill said about thickness.

As for size, two minutes (20 inches) is very challenging. Especially for low velocity cartridges due to wind. Three minutes (30 inches) is probably very good for guys who want to have some fun and still be challenged.

Use electronic muffs since they will amplify sound that doesn't trigger their cut off. I found them to be helpful for guys who were shooting at longer distances against steel that was very thick and solidly affixed.

LR55
Reply
#4
This is another option I tried out a couple of months ago. I taped a radio to the back of the gong with a rag on the back to absorb the shock of the impacts. I set it to voice-activated and it worked decently well. Only drawback was sometimes the ding was done before the mic actually keyed up. I would still get the "roger" beep afterwards to confirm hits though.

[Image: 11692518_1103742456320942_7296489190818632151_n.jpg]

At 1000 yards you'll still generally be able to hear impacts on hanging 3/8" steel if the wind isn't too bad, even with earplugs in.

This is a proof of concept video I tried at 1000 yards. I actually did this to better call hits at 1 mile, but wanted to try it at 1000 first to see if it would even work. This is also on 1/4" steel, so the ring was louder anyways

[Image: th_IMG_1362.mp4]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)