As many of you may know the Vmax has an weird ogive making it necessary to seat it deeper than the manual says (verified by Bill Alexander himself).
I believe the 120gr TTSX may have the same problem. My OAL gauge is telling me a Grendel case with a 120gr TTSX should be seated at LEAST 20thousands shorter than 2.113 = 2.093!!! Thats friggin short!
Anybody else have issues with this?
Right our wrong iload to mag length, its always worked.4years now..
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
What are you using for an OAL gauge? I remember someone on the old site complaining about the length of TTSX bullets and pulling off the plastic tip so as not to loose powder space. I use the TSX and at mag length they are off the lands by more than .015".
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
cornholio1 Wrote:I found a problem with my OAL gauge. Apparently the Grendel modified case won't take 120 gr bullets, which is stupid. I tried to use some tape to hold her still and not screwing the case gauge in so far. I have a call into Hornady to resolve it.
Hmmmm? I'm confused!
Posts: 441
Threads: 11
Joined: Mar 2011
120g AMAX bullets have to be seated so deeply due to their ogive that they are largely unusable. Which is why Hornady came out with the 123g. It would not surprise me that other bullets have the same issue.
I have shot the 120 TTSX some. I have found that there are no ogive issues with it. The downside to it is that it is longer than most 120 grain bullets because it is pure copper. That means less powder and less velocity than lead core 120's. When the 100 grain ttsx came out that problem was fixed. I get AMAZING results from the 100 grainer.
CoolBarrelBill
Unregistered
longdayjake Wrote:I have shot the 120 TTSX some. I have found that there are no ogive issues with it. The downside to it is that it is longer than most 120 grain bullets because it is pure copper. That means less powder and less velocity than lead core 120's. When the 100 grain ttsx came out that problem was fixed. I get AMAZING results from the 100 grainer.
Have you tried the 100gr TTSX with H335?
If your OAL gauge is like mine, lose the plastic rod inside of it. The set screw leaves scars on the plastic. I replaced mine with a brass rod and ground the flat area just like the plastic one. You can get brass rod stock at any hobby store. Then, you'll have a more accurate setup and you can adjust the dimensions to accommodate any particular bullet length. It's less than a one evening job.
Hoot
"There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper"
-John Rushkin-
Hoot
Posts: 333
Threads: 29
Joined: Mar 2011
CoolBarrelBill Wrote:Have you tried the 100gr TTSX with H335?
I have had outstanding results with H335 and the 100 gr TTSX.
20" barrel
100 gr. Barnes TTSX Overall Cartridge length = 2.260
H335
29.5 gr 2690 fps
30.0 gr 2765 fps
More details are listed here:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...hrono-data
Best
- PA
this just in. I recently read that 2230 has had some issues in the past with coming from several different manufacturers and different lots will get different results. So, YMMV
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
mseric Wrote:Hopefully that has changed now they they are owned by Western Powders. BTW, AA 2230 and Ramshot X-T are the same exact powder.
Interesting. When I spoke to Ramshot I asked about that, and they told me there were differences. Admittedly that was a couple years ago, so something may have changed, but 2230 has been around a long time.
They also told me there were differences in TAC and 2520, although they do look very similar physically.
I've had temperature stability issues with 2520 that I haven't seen with TAC, but maybe that has been more circumstantial in my experience vs. a real difference.
I've wondered about the seeming "twins" for some time.
This is the first time I've seen anyone actually post that they are the same.