Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
barrel and twist help needed
#1
Hi everyone, new to the forum but eager to finish my grendel build. I have decided to run a 20" barrel and i was going to go with satern but it looks as if they don't make a 20". does anyone have any recommendations 9n other brands? second, I was wondering what the best twist rate would be, I will be shooting no more than 300 yds and i will be most likely using the 120 range of bullets. here's the catch, this gun will be suppressed and i will be running the heavier loads some of the time if not half the time.

thank you in advance, Evan
Reply
#2
1-8
Reply
#3
Templar custom, precision firearms, Lilja, kreiger. You may have to call to get a custom length on the pipe. I know Templar will make just about anything you can dream up. I've had two of his barrels in bartlein and still have one and have been very pleased. a friend of mine has one of marks barrels and is pleased with it as well. All I've read about the others has been good. Another friend of mine just ordered a Krieger and they'll change the length and diameter ahead of gas block but not behind. If you turn diameter behind gas block yourself it will void the warranty on a kreiger. 1-8 twist is what you want. Hope this helps.

Richard
Reply
#4
Welcome to the Horde, Evan. You're in dangerous company, to be sure.

20" Barrels are available from any of the following, in no particular order: Lilja, Bartlein, BHW, Krieger, Shilen, etc.

You can order the Liljas from http://riflebarrels.com (The AR740 is one of their 20" Grendel tubes).

The Shilen's are available with bolt at MidwayUSA.

The BHW's are available from Blackhole Weaponry.

The Bartlein, BHW and Kriegers can all be ordered from Mark at Precision Firearms.

As far as twist goes, 1:9 is quite common, but if you anticipate shooting heavier than ~120, then I'd recommend a 1:8. There's nothing a 1:9 can shoot that a 1:8 will not.
Reply
#5
My BHW shoots great and has a great price, I will be ordering more from them
Reply
#6
thank you very much for the replies! and thank you for the warm welcome! 1:8 it is. now cones the process of looking through them all!
Reply
#7
ricsmall Wrote:Templar custom, precision firearms, Lilja, kreiger. You may have to call to get a custom length on the pipe. I know Templar will make just about anything you can dream up. I've had two of his barrels in bartlein and still have one and have been very pleased. a friend of mine has one of marks barrels and is pleased with it as well. All I've read about the others has been good. Another friend of mine just ordered a Krieger and they'll change the length and diameter ahead of gas block but not behind. If you turn diameter behind gas block yourself it will void the warranty on a kreiger. 1-8 twist is what you want. Hope this helps.

Richard

So Krieger will change it from the block to muzzle but won't from extention to block? I wonder what there thinking is on this?
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply
#8
Welcome aboard. If you're only shooting out to 300yds, suppressed, I would consider a shorter barrel unless you're cutting paper and looking for x ring count. If shooting steel or hunting, I would just go SBR or carbine, and consider the overall length of the gun with the can on it, if that makes a difference for a bench rider vs. a field gun.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#9
I heard some where I think it was Wane VanZole article that he reprofiled a bbl and the bore expanded I believe the jist of the artical was about a button riffled bbl and the way it is made by forcing the groves into the metal there isn't as much pressure in the barrel walls and it expands if you profile after riffling is pressed in
Reply
#10
this build would only be for paper targets. I hunt mostly with either my 458 socom or 338 spectre.
Reply
#11
In that case, I would go 18" or 20". Look at Precision Firearms or Lilja for your barrel. You can get an 18" with a special gas system length from PF that will deal with suppressed much better than MLGS/18".

20" gives a noticeable velocity boost in most cases. A 20" BHW barrel done by PF would be something to consider if it were me.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#12
thank you very much. the 20" sounds more appealing to me for just range work. I think I am going to go with a lilja barrel in 1:8
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)