Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New scope thoughts
#1
Presently shoot a Vortex PST 6x 24 x 50 FFP MIL/MIL

Have a new pipe coming. Old eyes want more magnification.
Budget $2000. Thinking of 8 x 32 x 56 Nightforce NXS.

No Bushnell. Vortex Razor 2 not interested....
FFP OR 2nd FP DON't care.

What are my options??
Reply
#2
Better glass will help not necessary more top end. Just something to think about, FYI Bushnell has a great top end scope, I'm not talking about 6500 elite. Imo Nightforce is a tough as hell scope doesn't mean the best glass. I had a nxs before 50mm and 24mm neither impressed me glass wise. But hey that's me

I think you'd love a Kahles k624i 6-24x56
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply
#3
I believe you'll find the suggested Kahles a noticable step up from the NF. I seems to remember Eurooptics does occasional campaigns with Kahles around or below $2000.

Stay away from the over-illuminated reticles (messes with your eye fovea and robs you of the scopes inherent twilight performance).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmNjm9V--0[/video]
Reply
#4
FWIW, I have one of these Kahles k624i 6-24x56, while it is a fine scope they are very heavy which would be a PITA to hump about all day, on what could other wise be a nice light rifle. That being said mine is on my .303 stalking rifle (though that is a heavy beast to start with). I have taken the moderator off as the whole thing was very nose heavy.

If it is going to be a range rifle primarily then no problems, as the glass is very good.
Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
Reply
#5
That Kahles looks fine, but the price is closer to $3000 if you want it now. What about the Steiner T5Xi? Has anyone seen one? There are some complaints about quality control on some other sites.
Reply
#6
Look at the ZeissHD5 5-25x50

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-hd5-co...scope.html


Got mine with a Rapid Z 1000 reticle and put it in a 20MOA Larue Tactical mount.
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Reply
#7
I've been looking for a scope for target only. I normally use open sights but I've been thinking that a scope for load development and the occasional long range prone match would be useful. I want something I can move from rifle to rifle that has some quality but I want to spend closer to $1,000 if I can. I'm leaning toward the Leupold Competition 40x45 in a Larue mount. Fixed focal length scopes don't need as many lenses which saves weight and they have the potential to be brighter than variable scopes.
Reply
#8
rwh Wrote:I've been looking for a scope for target only. I normally use open sights but I've been thinking that a scope for load development and the occasional long range prone match would be useful. I want something I can move from rifle to rifle that has some quality but I want to spend closer to $1,000 if I can. I'm leaning toward the Leupold Competition 40x45 in a Larue mount. Fixed focal length scopes don't need as many lenses which saves weight and they have the potential to be brighter than variable scopes.

For $1000 you can't beat a Vortex PST 6-24x50 MIL OR MOA FFP or a SFP for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
Reply
#9
I'm in a similar position but with half the budget. I've heard that the glass in the sightron IIIs are just as good as NightForce. Since my guns are range/bench guns I don't need the durability of a nightforce. I'm leaning towards a sightron 8-32x56.
Reply
#10
GarandThumb Wrote:I'm in a similar position but with half the budget. I've heard that the glass in the sightron IIIs are just as good as NightForce. Since my guns are range/bench guns I don't need the durability of a nightforce. I'm leaning towards a sightron 8-32x56.

That same scope did come to mind but.......
How is the repeatability of the reticle and is it etched??
Reply
#11
lrgrendel Wrote:That same scope did come to mind but.......
How is the repeatability of the reticle and is it etched??

I couldn't find it anything about what the reticle is made from on sightrons website but according to swfa all Sightron SIII's use an etched reticle.

http://swfa.com/SIII-C176.aspx

A lot of Fclass and benchrest shooters from accurateshooter.com use sightron SIII's. They wouldn't if there were issues with the turrets. Here is an older 3 part review where they compare it to a nightforce BR:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008...x56-scope/

A common complaint of the sightrons in the past has been lack of features and limited reticle choices. Now they offer more choices, the MOA reticle is the one I'm interested.

So that's all my internet knowledge. Smile

I'll be making the purchase in the next few weeks... unless something better in the $1k price range pops up I will be buying one. To date the best scope I own is a Vortex HS-T, same glass as your PST. Looking forward to see how different the glass is.
Reply
#12
Pic of MOA ret

https://images.chattanoogashooting.com/p...251497.jpg
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply
#13
GarandThumb Wrote:I couldn't find it anything about what the reticle is made from on sightrons website but according to swfa all Sightron SIII's use an etched reticle.

http://swfa.com/SIII-C176.aspx

A lot of Fclass and benchrest shooters from accurateshooter.com use sightron SIII's. They wouldn't if there were issues with the turrets. Here is an older 3 part review where they compare it to a nightforce BR:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008...x56-scope/

A common complaint of the sightrons in the past has been lack of features and limited reticle choices. Now they offer more choices, the MOA reticle is the one I'm interested.

So that's all my internet knowledge. Smile

I'll be making the purchase in the next few weeks... unless something better in the $1k price range pops up I will be buying one. To date the best scope I own is a Vortex HS-T, same glass as your PST. Looking forward to see how different the glass is.

Now you have me second guessing!!
How is the warranty?? You think I could off load one if I did not like it??
Reply
#14
I put a 6-24x50 on my Grendel, liked it so much I bought a S-II for another rifle. Didn't like that one because I couldn't feel the clicks (1/8). Fortunately for me, an interior lens came loose, so I sent it back to Sightron. Got a call a week later and said it couldn't be repaired, and they would send me a new one. I thought for a moment, and asked if I could exchange it to another S-III, so for 2 and change, I got a second S-III. I'm basically a Leupold fan, but I really like the S-III. On my Grendel, I zero for 200 yds and the tip of the vertical crosshair is on at 300, and the first hashmark is on at 400. My wife also likes this outfit for p-dogs.
Reply
#15
I have an SII and the field of view is narrow and the scope is unforgiving in eye to scope relation via cheekweld. You have to repeat the cheekweld just right or your shot is off. This is mounted on a Savage bolt action 22LR. Clicks are kinda mushy on the turrets. Not as bright as I thought it should be.
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Reply
#16
rwh Wrote:That Kahles looks fine, but the price is closer to $3000 if you want it now. What about the Steiner T5Xi? Has anyone seen one? There are some complaints about quality control on some other sites.

Just put a T5XI 3-15 on my 20" Grendel. Fits perfect with the extended Nightforce 1.44" Unimount. This scope has every feature I want, built like a tank. Glass is very nice. Now there is the possibility of tracking problems. I'll be conducting my own tests at some point in the near future but I'll be putting it through the paces for sure over the Labor Day weekend.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)