Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2015
Can I swap spring weights in my JP Silent Capture kit and accomplish somewhat of what the adjustable gas block will?
I obviously do not have an adjustable block on my rifle so I'm not aware of how that will work vs. spring resistance adjustment.
Or am I way off base here and confusing the function of each?
Thanks!
Posts: 133
Threads: 12
Joined: Mar 2015
swapping springs is just compensating for a gas system that is over or undergassed. adjusting the system so that the proper amount of gas is entering it is a better option, imo...
Posts: 497
Threads: 41
Joined: Aug 2013
Nope,
I've changed the springs in the JP kit and could not tell one bit of change.
SG4247
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2015
Over or under gassed. Is this not just a relationship between the amount of gas forcing the BCG back and the amount of resistance offered by the recoil buffer springs.
It seems to me that gas pressure, BCG weight and it's ability to move given it's friction, and the amount of resistance from the buffer and the spring are the components of this picture. And if you have a balance, whether it is slightly higher or lower in gas pressure, should make no difference to the end result.
Again, I'm probably missing something here.
I can see the benefits of the adjustable block. But my rifle did not come with one and I did put in a JP Silent kit as I dislike hearing the boing of the standard spring in my ear. And I do have a spring kit as well with different weights. So I am trying to determine if I should spend more money on a new gas block or just adjust spring resistance.
If I can get things reasonably balanced as is, am I really ahead buying more gear?
I am working up a single load for this rifle, no more. I am planning on using 123 SST's and nothing else. One load for all hunting/target. If I only have one load and I can balance the forces with the springs I have I feel that an adjustable block will never be adjusted again.
Thoughts?
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2015
SG4247 Wrote:Nope,
I've changed the springs in the JP kit and could not tell one bit of change.
SG4247
Thanks for the input.
You posted while I was typing!
I guess I'm just going to have to mess with and see what I can do.
Posts: 133
Threads: 12
Joined: Mar 2015
My suggestion would be to work up your load and get it running as is before determining if you need an adjustable gas block. I was getting early unlocking and damaged brass, which I solved by switching to a heavy buffers 8.5oz buffer. But, at over half a pound, it made an already heavy rifle downright ridiculous. That is why I switched to a JP SCSS and an SLR adjustable gas block.
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2015
I'll do as you suggest! Sounds like good advice
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Joined: Aug 2015
JP, I just put together a grendel upper and insisted on spending the $$$ on a good adjustable gas block. FYI my upper would be way over gassed if I did not have the ability to turn the gas down. It runs reliably with a rifle or carbine buffer lowers with minimal gas block adjustment. I did not measure the gas port on my Shilen barrel before assembly but I can assure you that it is plenty big. Hate to say it but you likely need an adjustable gas block to tune the system to your liking.
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Jul 2015
If that's where I end up then so be it. I guess I'll give it a go as CastorTroy suggested and see where it goes.
It's certainly not going to break my account to add a new block, I would just rather spend that on more loading components!
After all, trigger time rules!
Posts: 133
Threads: 12
Joined: Mar 2015
Yeah, my shilen is thoroughly overgassed as well. Better than undergassed though, I guess