Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
I was on the krieger order page getting a new barrel for my 223 today and I noticed that they now offer chambering for 6x45, 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC2 on their order page in addition to the 223 chambers. I've shot out a few of their 223 VARMATCH barrels and these barrels have been well worth the money as long as you remember to order the next barrel before the old barrel stops shooting. These barrels also come with an amazingly large gas block.
Has anyone ordered one of these? Did you have to send them a bolt?
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Joined: Oct 2014
I'm considering the same barrel. From my understanding, to have it chambered, they need your bolt to set headspace. So, I believe you need to send that in.
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm debating a Krieger barrel chambered by Krieger vs a Krieger barrel chambered by Precision...can anyone add insight into THAT dilemma?
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
08-19-2015, 03:38 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM by am4966.)
Hmm, what's the cost for the Krieger? I would like to know what reamer they use and/or chamber drawing.
I know Krieger will do a fantastic job since its there rep on the line. I'm sure it'll be cheaper to if from Krieger. Since they are mfg, but you can't go wrong with what ever you choose.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
08-19-2015, 09:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2015, 10:57 PM by rwh.)
I called Krieger today and asked about their grendel chamber. They said their reamer was "SAAMI minimum spec with no modifications". You do need to send in a bolt. The complete cost for a chambered varmatch barrel with shipping is $490. Their current lead time is about 5 months. I think Precision Firearms has a much shorter lead time and the two barrels I have from them are both excellent.
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Mar 2015
If you get a chance check out Dead Shot Barrels. .. Out of Orgon... I have been real happy with my barrel and so have 3 of my friends... All in Grendel.. and you can get a Barrel and a match bolt for less than $400..
Deadshotbarrels.com
Posts: 316
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2014
Got a 20"threaded bull barrel with bolt for $342 from blackhole weaponry samii spec grendel chamber
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
martkin64 Wrote:If you get a chance check out Dead Shot Barrels. .. Out of Orgon... I have been real happy with my barrel and so have 3 of my friends... All in Grendel.. and you can get a Barrel and a match bolt for less than $400..
Deadshotbarrels.com
Did you get the Krieger blank? What profile did you get, I'm really curious about his barrels, my laptop is broke and his format won't let me see everything for a quote. Can only see 2 rows of cerakote
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 40
Threads: 4
Joined: Mar 2015
am4966 Wrote:Did you get the Krieger blank? What profile did you get, I'm really curious about his barrels, my laptop is broke and his format won't let me see everything for a quote. Can only see 2 rows of cerakote
I got the 22.5 inch barrel with a milled comp. HBAR rifle length .750 gas block with a match bolt 1:9 twist.... FDE cerakoted. For $390 and it shoots great he does good work....oh ya.. it's chromoly. But he does have stainless options.
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Joined: Oct 2014
He's selling his own barrels not selling Krieger barrels? I don't see how those could be Krieger blanks.
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
I sent him a request for a quote for a 26 inch hbar profile krieger stainless 1-8 twist. I expect there will be a premium for the krieger barrel.
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
You can essayed him on facebook, I asked about a dbl fluted Kreiger 22"bull w/target crown and he said $600 ish
Posts: 9
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2015
rwh Wrote:I was on the krieger order page getting a new barrel for my 223 today and I noticed that they now offer chambering for 6x45, 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC2 on their order page in addition to the 223 chambers. I've shot out a few of their 223 VARMATCH barrels and these barrels have been well worth the money as long as you remember to order the next barrel before the old barrel stops shooting. These barrels also come with an amazingly large gas block.
Has anyone ordered one of these? Did you have to send them a bolt?
I purchased a 24" VarMatch barrel from Krieger and yes, you have to send your bolt, completely disassembled.
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
tackdriver Wrote:You can essayed him on facebook, I asked about a dbl fluted Kreiger 22"bull w/target crown and he said $600 ish
That's a great price on a Krieger blank double fluted. Did that come with a bolt?
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
I didn't ask because I assumed it did not
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
I ordered one of these barrels in August and it came on Wednesday. I got the 26 inch barrel chambered by Krieger. I took it to the range today and test fired some loads of N133 with CCI 41 primers and 108 scenars (hBN coated). I fired four shot groups with loads of N133 from 26.8gr up to 27.8 gr. The worst group was .876 MOA, best group was .378 MOA. All in all this looks like a great barrel. One thing I did notice is that the fired necks measure between .297 and .298, not the .300 I expected from a SAAMI spec chamber. If it keeps shooting like this I won't complain.
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
I think I got a bad chamber in the new barrel from Krieger. I measured the OAL to the lands and 108 scenars hit the lands at an OAL of 2.225, and 130 gr berger AR hybrids hit the lands at an OAL of 2.260. The OAL for the scenars is over .100 shorter than the OAL I measured for the last barrel from PF. This cannot be a standard SAAMI chamber. I am waiting to hear back from Krieger with details on the reamer they used to cut the chamber. Accuracy is great, but the throat is too short for anything other than hand loaded ammo, and even then the short length cuts into the usable case capacity. If this barrel didn't shoot so well I would be mad.
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Sorry to hear your issues regarding the chamber of the Krieger. One of the great aspects of the 6.5 Grendel is the availability and accuracy of factory ammo.
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
Throating a chamber isn't a big deal. Sending the barrel back and having to wait to get it back is a pain. No idea what kind of turnaround to expect from Krieger. The barrel took four months. Another four months puts me into next season. Might be easier to have a local gunsmith throat the chamber than to deal with sending the barrel back for rework. This is the last barrel I buy chambered. From now on I am going to take my barrel and reamer to my gunsmith and have him do it.