Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Muzzle Velocity
#21
So i was finally able to chrony my 18" BHW 1x9 twist barrel. Factory SSTs shot as follows.
1.2490
2.2472
3.2508
4.2480
5.2525
Thats an average of 2485 which is just slightly lower than I expected.
My 120 smk handloads came right in at the same area at 2486 average.
Reply
#22
You should be able to get 80-100fps faster than that with CFE and a 123gr AMX or SST, with room in between for at least one accuracy node, if not two.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#23
The problem with that is my rifle seems to hate CFE 223. I worked up 5 loads of 123 AMAX and 5 loads of 120 SMK based on a ladder test and all 5 of each were lousy groups and I had a couple of mis-feeds while I haven't had mis-feeds with any other powder. The best load I found was 31.5 grains and a 123 AMAX but it was noticeably hotter than any other load Ive had, it shot about 1MOA, and I had a stove pipe on the second round. I am about ready to give up on that powder. XBR has done much better for me, but is slower.
Reply
#24
What gas port location and dimensions do you have?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#25
I am not sure what you mean by dimensions, but its .730 in front of the gas block, mid length.
Reply
#26
Diameter of the gas port hole.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#27
Oh, I am not sure.
Reply
#28
Exactly 2,500 fps out of a Shilen 20" heavy barrel. That's with factory Hornady 123 gr. AMAX. I've shot it in competitions from 600 yards to 1,000 yards.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)