Posts: 84
Threads: 15
Joined: Nov 2014
05-29-2015, 02:57 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 03:11 AM by EPeterson.)
I haven't cleaned my barrel yet and I've shot around 1000 rounds through it. Mainly hand loads with cfe. When do guys typically clean your barrels?
Here's the best group today, 3 shots at 100yds:
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
Whut whut WHAAATTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Whaddya mean ya' didn't clean it? LOL!
Feels great, doesn't it?
It's pretty liberating knowing you don't have to swab the crap out of your bore every time you turn around. You get to actually enjoy your rifle, and your barrel will last a lot longer since you aren't cleaning it to death.
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 241
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
If I am at the range, I typically clean my rifles after about 25 rounds, because most of my shooting time is spent in load development, so I want to keep consistency at a maximum. On the rare occasions I get to just practice, I'll typically do a light cleaning after about 50 rounds at the range and then a full cleaning (focusing on copper removal) at home after every range session. I am probably at the end of the spectrum of cleaning too often, though. However, if I regularly got the accuracy you are showing in your picture, I'd probably quit cleaning altogether. Great group you shot!
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Posts: 84
Threads: 15
Joined: Nov 2014
It is great not having to swab it out. I apply some lube to the BCG every once and awhile and call it a day. My other barrels/rifles require more tlc, but not this one.
Posts: 84
Threads: 15
Joined: Nov 2014
Savage Shooter Wrote:If I am at the range, I typically clean my rifles after about 25 rounds, because most of my shooting time is spent in load development, so I want to keep consistency at a maximum. On the rare occasions I get to just practice, I'll typically do a light cleaning after about 50 rounds at the range and then a full cleaning (focusing on copper removal) at home after every range session. I am probably at the end of the spectrum of cleaning too often, though. However, if I regularly got the accuracy you are showing in your picture, I'd probably quit cleaning altogether. Great group you shot! Thank you. This group is the exception to the rule, I typically shoot 1moa. I guarantee you that the rifle can out shoot me any day.
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
I clean when accuracy goes away, or every spring before Boomershoot, whichever comes first.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 129
Threads: 18
Joined: Jun 2014
I clean after each range session. Typically every 200 rounds. By clean I mean I run a soaked patch of bore cleaner and a few dry patchs.
Adam
Posts: 671
Threads: 75
Joined: Sep 2014
EPeterson Wrote:It is great not having to swab it out. I apply some lube to the BCG every once and awhile and call it a day. My other barrels/rifles require more tlc, but not this one.
EP, I'm with you on this. IMHO cleaning is overrated.
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
I don't clean as often as my dad taught me to do. I usually only clean after extended sessions with a suppressor or after using some wolf ammo since it's corrosive. Other than that it shoots consistently enough to nothave to clean and then have to re foul the barrel.
Posts: 1,613
Threads: 24
Joined: Sep 2014
Our cleaning habits have been hugely influenced by the realities of black powder with continued reinforcement by mercury fulminate in smokeless powders. Some odd batches ammunition in other calibers still have corrosive primers.
Then we have the high velocity freaks who routinely plate their barrels with copper (or lead when abusing cast bullets).
That history, coupled with current reminders for some cartridges, keeps the cleaning habit alive and well. That history, coupled with peer pressure, induces many of us to clean more often than necessary.
I have dropped back to doing a single pass with a bore snake and a bit of solvent after each range session of 30 - 40 rounds. (The TC Contender lets me get lots of range time without burning a lot of shots!)
Posts: 497
Threads: 41
Joined: Aug 2013
The Grendel is really good on the cleaning aspect, compared to other calibers.
The little 6.5 round is very efficient with a small powder charge, and the velocity is slow.
Barrel life is excellent too. All this makes for more fun and less cleaning.
My borecope has me cleaning at 200 rounds, using 8208 powder.
CFE may be better...
Posts: 61
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2014
I used to never worry about cleaning the barrel. Just the bcg to make sure it is nice and smooth but since moving over and shooting suppressed only, cleaning of the chamber and BCG has become more routine. Currently burning 8208 but am considering working up some loads with cfe as well just to see how it does.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
I cleaned my BHW barrel last night after 65 rounds down in. It took one wet patch of carbon solvent and 4 dry patches to clean it. Shot suppressed also. Rounds shot were 123 gn amax with CFE. That powder burns very clean in my experience.
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
I cleaned my bbl as to the 08' break in period from AA. Took a while, end results were great. Have not cleaned it after last 200 rounds- 2 years ago.
LRRFp52=L52, claims that he rarely cleans the bbl. as copper glides on copper better the onto bbl steel.
Always check your chamber, lug area-bend some q tips to get all the gunk out of that area. You should run a something down the bbl once in a while tho. It seemed like, every time I cleaned the bbl, really clean,, it took 3-8 shots to get it accurate again.
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Lead chucker, I noticed that too with my only BHW bbl in 5.56 Easy clean, higher speeds too! Minimal rifling contact is the deal.
I'm so happy that AA released the license to a many Great manufactures, to build AA bbls. BHW , was the odd nut on the tree with the polygonal rifling. It works .
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
SG, cfe is so clean- it's worth the vibe down against the tumbler to fit into the case. Stack a 1/4 " drill bit flat side onto the powder column. run it for 2-5 seconds- presto!
Instant reduction in case fills=less compressions + less cleaning !!
Posts: 241
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
sneaky one Wrote:SG, cfe is so clean- it's worth the vibe down against the tumbler to fit into the case. Stack a 1/4 " drill bit flat side onto the powder column. run it for 2-5 seconds- presto!
Instant reduction in case fills=less compressions + less cleaning !!
Sneaky, If I understand your instructions, your method of getting the powder to compact a little better is to put a 1/4 in bit into a drill backwards, (so the blunt/flat end is the "tip"), run the drill a few seconds to get the powder to decrease in volume so when the bullet is seated, the bullet is not doing the powder compaction. Did I understand that right? Or other methods are: using a longer tube drop funnel, or an electric toothbrush placed against the case (I think that was a suggested method here), etc. ?
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Savage Shooter Wrote:Sneaky, If I understand your instructions, your method of getting the powder to compact a little better is to put a 1/4 in bit into a drill backwards, (so the blunt/flat end is the "tip"), run the drill a few seconds to get the powder to decrease in volume so when the bullet is seated, the bullet is not doing the powder compaction. Did I understand that right? Or other methods are: using a longer tube drop funnel, or an electric toothbrush placed against the case (I think that was a suggested method here), etc. ?
I think what sneaky is saying is to just set a 1\4 bit inside down in the case and hold it against the vibrating tumbler to help compact the powder.
Posts: 241
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2014
Thanks. That makes more sense - a little weight to assist the vibration from the tumbler in compacting the powder. I'll give that a try to speed up loading with compressed loads. I hate the "crunching" feel and sound of seating bullets with a compressed load. But even worse is the bullet being slowly pushed back out if I am running light next tension. Then I get variable jump distance to the lands and scratching my head on "stray" shots. The Grendel seems to be a little more forgiving in this area than my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor.
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Posts: 11
Threads: 3
Joined: May 2015
I've read from multiple sources that snipers always deploy with a dirty barrel due to accuracy. Of course you can't always trust what you read on the Net, but some of the articles were by snipers giving that at least more credibility than a keyboard sharpshooter. On a side note, barrel break-in seems to be a crock as well - Google for "Gale McMillan Barrel Break-In". Ever since I read on that, I've been just shooting my virgin barrels the same as old stock.
|