Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Time for Trigger Purchase
#1
OK, I'm ready to "bite the bullet", "pull the trigger", "fire off an order", etc on a trigger purchase this week.

I think my top 2 choices are AR Gold & Hiperfire for my target build. Initially I wanted a single stage because on a carbine AR I have a RRA 2 stage. I like it a lot on this gun but I wouldn't use it on a target gun where as a novice target shooter I will need all the help I can get.

I feel like the 2 stage RRA is a little distracting as a go though the 1st stage and hold it for final aiming. Maybe the AR Gold 1st stage is much lighter and not as distracting but that's where you guys come in.

Ive read on the "internets" that there isn't a comparison when comparing the CMC, Timneys, Giesselles, to the AR Golds or Hiperfire. What say you?

Thanks guys.
Reply
#2
I have upgraded all of my triggers to the Geissele SSA and SSA-E. I have a RRA NM2 stage and it is not as nice as the SSA series. Pull up tight on the first stage, hit the hard stop and then just squeeezzze a lit bit more and then boom. These (SSA, SSA-E) are NON-adjustable 2 stages, exactly what I was looking for.

http://geissele.com/triggers.html
Reply
#3
Might give Velocity triggers a look. I have 2 and really like them.


http://velocitytriggers.com/index.php
Reply
#4
I have Timney 3 lb triggers in all 7 of my AR-15's
Reply
#5
My Grendel AR has a Jard Top adjustable 2lb single stage trigger that is really nice.
http://www.jardinc.com/ar-15-single-stage-top-adjust/
Reply
#6
I replaced the triggers in both of my AR's with CMC triggers and I couldn't be happier. I have dry fired AR's with Gisselle triggers and I can't say that I can detect any difference between the two. You can get a curved or straight trigger and they are fool proof to install. 3.5 pounds of single stage Crystal rod snapping feel perfection. There is an article in the current version of Sniper magazine about aftermarket AR triggers and the Alexander Arms trigger got very high scores and remarks. It would be worth looking at. Joseph
Reply
#7
I haven't heard of Velocity. Thanks, apd_855, I'll go check them out.
Pinetreebbs, I looked into JARD in the past and just flat out forgot about them. Thanks for jogging my memory and adding one more to the list, making my life even more difficult.
I haven't heard of Hiperfire until somebody mentioned them last week in my topic.

Joseph5, I'll see about reading that article, thanks for the heads up.
Reply
#8
Geissele adjustable match trigger and don't look back...............check his installation video on you tube for the graph of pull pressure and lock time, it will convince you!

Redraider
Reply
#9
Geissele National Match. This 2 stage works.....
Reply
#10
I have a 3lb Timney, a Geissele SD-3G and a Wilson Combat TR-TTU. The TR-TTU is my favorite by far. If you can, pull a TR-TTU a few times before you spend your money.
Reply
#11
Redraider Wrote:Geissele adjustable match trigger and don't look back...............check his installation video on you tube for the graph of pull pressure and lock time, it will convince you!

Redraider

I evidently missed this model. I didn't know they made an adjustable trigger. I'll check out the graphs. Hiperfire had some nice graphs to look at.
Thanks,
JP
Reply
#12
Anyone want to talk about barrel break in? LOL!!!!!

Asking about triggers is one of the fastest ways to break a forum. Go to a good Tactical store and pull every trigger they have until you find what you want, then buy it!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#13
In the latest Sniper magazine, they did an article on how to ring out the most accuracy from an AR15 with the trigger and bag position. The AA skeletonized trigger had the least amount of Pre-Ignition Vibration, followed by Geissele and Hyper Fire. Hammer mass away from the hammer pin is a big factor in messing with the vertical dispersion of the group. There are a lot of triggers in the market that have mass getting larger as they go away from the hammer pin, which induces more PIV.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#14
Hmmm.....LRRPF52 ive not thought about that potential of hammer mass affecting acuracy. That is interesting ill have to see if I can find thar article.
Reply
#15
I just installed a Geissele SD-C it's a SSA but with a flat trigger. I love the feel of the flat trigger. If I was going to do target shooting I would go with the SD-E it's about 2.2lbs first stage then 1.3 2nd stage candy can like break.

CMC makes a great flat single stage trigger, I had a Timney when they first came out and was in the 130-150.00 range. Now they have gone crazy Wink Elftman has a nice trigger, a sniper team at the Superbowl had one in use. The Match trigger is supposed to have the fastest clock time after pulling trigger. So less time for you to flinch or do something before shoot goes off.

There are alot of great triggers on the market you really can't go wrong. Just need to find one YOU like!
Reply
#16
Keep The Change Wrote:I feel like the 2 stage RRA is a little distracting as a go though the 1st stage and hold it for final aiming. Maybe the AR Gold 1st stage is much lighter and not as distracting but that's where you guys come in.

Ive read on the "internets" that there isn't a comparison when comparing the CMC, Timneys, Giesselles, to the AR Golds or Hiperfire. What say you?

Thanks guys.

I have not tried all the various triggers, but quite frankly, I don't think "dry firing" them is really going to tell you as much as you would like to know. Nothing like actually being on the bench live firing to realize what you really like best. That said, the first stage of the AR Gold is so light, you don't really notice it - it feels more like take-up than actual engagement of the trigger. I formerly used my ARs for prairie dog shooting from a portable bench, so I had the triggers set very light (about 1 1/2 lb). I have not adjusted the pull weight since I swapped the AA Upper on my lower - but if I was going to be carrying the Grendel while hunting , I'd probably double the pull weight. You might find this guide/review helpful: http://www.recoilweb.com/ar15triggerguide-1/
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Reply
#17
:confused:
Warning Warning Information Overload.
Disk Space is Full.

Man you guys really know how to throw us rookies into a tail spin. Big Grin

Thanks for the info, there are many more options than I thought.
Thanks AM4966, I was looking at those last night.
Savage, thanks for the article and advice. I'm not so sure how much I would learn from standing in a showroom and dry firing. I do think I could whittle a few out of the mix though.

I've got lots more reading to do and research to do, because I'm going to need a trigger that will help out this rookie distance shooter.
Reply
#18
I think that unless you are good enough to compete at the highest levels of competition, that most of the triggers that will get you down to about 2-3 lbs with a crisp release are going to suit you just fine. If you are interested in long distance shooting (as opposed to 3 gun or some speed related competition) there are many other factors (with wind being one of the largest to worry about) that will make more difference in your connecting, than the slight differences between 80% of the triggers the guys have mentioned. As long as you don't have a stock mil-spec trigger, I think learning to read and gauge wind and mirage will make more difference in your hitting long distance targets than the slight differences between most of the various replacement triggers.
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Reply
#19
Are most of you using 2 stage or 1 for your lonng distance guns.?
Reply
#20
Keep The Change Wrote:Are most of you using 2 stage or 1 for your lonng distance guns.?

2 stage
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)