05-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Hey everyone, been checking out the forums for a little bit now.
I just finished my 6.5 grendel upper about a month ago. I got impatient and slapped it on a JD Machine billet lower i had and went shooting. I bought a case of Hornady Amax 123gr 6.5 grendel to get the brass and acclimate myself to the round and rifle itself.
So here's my quagmire; I finished out the 200 rounds tonight, and i'm not totally satisfied with the results. The upper is a BHW 18" .264 LBC 1:9 twist heavy barrel, SAA bolt, RRA chrome AR-15 BCG, UTG Pro 15" keymod handguard, and the glass is a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16. The lowers have switched between a tuned ALG trigger group W/JP spring kit, and a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger tuned to ~2.5-3# both with STR stocks and standard buffers and springs. I'll be the first to admit i'm relatively new to precision shooting (been shooting for groups for about 1.5 years now) and don't even reload yet, but that is changing since i have acquired a friends single stage press and have started acquiring some projectiles. But my best 3 shot group is about .4" and my best 5 shot group is just over .5" all shooting at 100 yards shooting off of bags. My best group at 300 was ~4". (Furthest my range goes out to)
Now, what the issue is tending to be is i'll get two shots bullet on bullet, and then sometimes a third. But with the 4th and 5th i'll throw to make it 1.5" or so. Tonight i shot at an indoor range to shoot in a controlled environment as my normal range is outdoor and has a tendency to get a little windy. My groups will range between 2.5" to what was stated above. I feel like the rifle and the load need to be tuned in order to reach the extreme accuracy grendel is reported to have starting with the load. I feel like the load needs to be tweeked either +/- grain weight a little, or +/- powder charge a little. Is anyone else with a .264 1:9 chamber using 123gr and having amazing results? If so what's the load you're using?
Again touching on the grouping in the first 200 rounds it was tending to put two bullets touching, and than another two bullets touching, but with about a 1-2" spread. Even at 300 yards.
I broke in the barrel correctly (at least in my mind) and am having at least 5 mins in between groups to let the barrel cool off. Tonight while i was shooting i was rushing a bit between two groupings and noticed that when the barrel got hot the spread increased. Anyone else have experiences like this with a heavy barrel profile?
So, am i just being ungrateful? What is everyone else getting with a run of the mill 18" rifle? Is it just a question of tuning the load to the gun? From what i've read the Hornady Amax load has a tendency to be the most consistent. Also, most of what i've read has put 18" barrels in the 1:8 twist rate. My goal is to get a sub .5" five shot group in which i know is possible. I just need help getting there.
The fully completed rifle will consist of a PRS stock, and Velocity 3# single stage trigger, but i've gotten ancy and decided to put money into components and ammo instead.
I'll attach photos of my two best groups, the 40 rounds i put downrange tonight, and the last three targets i shot at 300 yards
EDIT: By the way, the upper functioned flawlessly using an ASC 6.5 grendel 10 round magazine
I just finished my 6.5 grendel upper about a month ago. I got impatient and slapped it on a JD Machine billet lower i had and went shooting. I bought a case of Hornady Amax 123gr 6.5 grendel to get the brass and acclimate myself to the round and rifle itself.
So here's my quagmire; I finished out the 200 rounds tonight, and i'm not totally satisfied with the results. The upper is a BHW 18" .264 LBC 1:9 twist heavy barrel, SAA bolt, RRA chrome AR-15 BCG, UTG Pro 15" keymod handguard, and the glass is a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16. The lowers have switched between a tuned ALG trigger group W/JP spring kit, and a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger tuned to ~2.5-3# both with STR stocks and standard buffers and springs. I'll be the first to admit i'm relatively new to precision shooting (been shooting for groups for about 1.5 years now) and don't even reload yet, but that is changing since i have acquired a friends single stage press and have started acquiring some projectiles. But my best 3 shot group is about .4" and my best 5 shot group is just over .5" all shooting at 100 yards shooting off of bags. My best group at 300 was ~4". (Furthest my range goes out to)
Now, what the issue is tending to be is i'll get two shots bullet on bullet, and then sometimes a third. But with the 4th and 5th i'll throw to make it 1.5" or so. Tonight i shot at an indoor range to shoot in a controlled environment as my normal range is outdoor and has a tendency to get a little windy. My groups will range between 2.5" to what was stated above. I feel like the rifle and the load need to be tuned in order to reach the extreme accuracy grendel is reported to have starting with the load. I feel like the load needs to be tweeked either +/- grain weight a little, or +/- powder charge a little. Is anyone else with a .264 1:9 chamber using 123gr and having amazing results? If so what's the load you're using?
Again touching on the grouping in the first 200 rounds it was tending to put two bullets touching, and than another two bullets touching, but with about a 1-2" spread. Even at 300 yards.
I broke in the barrel correctly (at least in my mind) and am having at least 5 mins in between groups to let the barrel cool off. Tonight while i was shooting i was rushing a bit between two groupings and noticed that when the barrel got hot the spread increased. Anyone else have experiences like this with a heavy barrel profile?
So, am i just being ungrateful? What is everyone else getting with a run of the mill 18" rifle? Is it just a question of tuning the load to the gun? From what i've read the Hornady Amax load has a tendency to be the most consistent. Also, most of what i've read has put 18" barrels in the 1:8 twist rate. My goal is to get a sub .5" five shot group in which i know is possible. I just need help getting there.
The fully completed rifle will consist of a PRS stock, and Velocity 3# single stage trigger, but i've gotten ancy and decided to put money into components and ammo instead.
I'll attach photos of my two best groups, the 40 rounds i put downrange tonight, and the last three targets i shot at 300 yards
EDIT: By the way, the upper functioned flawlessly using an ASC 6.5 grendel 10 round magazine

