Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
I have a 18" mid gas barrel, would you cut it to 12.5" hoping it would run ok? Or buy a BHW 12.5" barrel with a carbine gas? Both would be suppressed. I do think the mid gas would cycle with the right gas port diameter and buffer weight with a smooth recoil impulse. Any advice is welcome!
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
There is a member here with a mid gas length 12.5" and his runs and I believe he has a can too
Look towards the last few pages on the group buy thread for sbr barrels its posted there
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
What's your current gas port diameter?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Gas port diameter is .093" with mid gas.
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
For a few more bucks, you can jump on the group buy with us. There's still a little time left to jump on.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
cory Wrote:For a few more bucks, you can jump on the group buy with us. There's still a little time left to jump on. I have thought about it but not really wanting to put that much into a barrel. I'm just wanting a short hunting rig. I know the lilja barrels are top notch but I don't really need that in this upper. Although its very tempting!
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
I went ahead and ordered a BHW 12.5" barrel Type 2. Excited!
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
lead chucker Wrote:I went ahead and ordered a BHW 12.5" barrel Type 2. Excited!
You will most likely be very satisfied. This was with mine @ 100. 4 factory 123 SST's and 5 factory 123 AMaxes. One at the bottom (pic is turned 90*) was first shot out of a clean barrel...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6191[/ATTACH]
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Looks great to me! I'm excited to get it together and try it out. What weight buffer are you using?
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
lead chucker Wrote:Looks great to me! I'm excited to get it together and try it out. What weight buffer are you using?
Running a JP silent capture on it, with a slr adjustable block. I have that open about 7 clicks if i remember correctly? Bought the spring pack to fiddle with on the SCS, but haven't yet. Runs great. Plan on switching in the JP low mass carrier but haven't done that yet...
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
keystone183 Wrote:Running a JP silent capture on it, with a slr adjustable block. I have that open about 7 clicks if i remember correctly? Bought the spring pack to fiddle with on the SCS, but haven't yet. Runs great. Plan on switching in the JP low mass carrier but haven't done that yet...
I have a Syriac gen 2 block for it and a spikes T2 buffer I'm going to try. I'm really wanting to try a JP SCS, so that may be my next upgrade!
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Got all my parts except for a BHW barrel. Ordered last week, call yesterday to just check status, 8 to 10 weeks lead. Must have patients... Ugh! Got a underground tactical bolt in today, it looks pretty good. Can't wait to get it all together.
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
Hey lead chucker what rail are you going to use? I was going to use a sryac too since they were on sale. But are out at brownells. So don't know now. I still getting my parts. Barrels are being worked on then blasted and lastly Nitrided.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
am4966 Wrote:Hey lead chucker what rail are you going to use? I was going to use a sryac too since they were on sale. But are out at brownells. So don't know now. I still getting my parts. Barrels are being worked on then blasted and lastly Nitrided.
I got my sryac block from primary arms. I'm using a REVarms slim line keymode http://revarms-com.myshopify.com/collect...-handguard. I played with one at a gun show and was very pleased and impressed with them. I'm going to cerakot all my parts as soon as it warms up some here.
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
I've downed 3 deer, a hog and a lot if coons in the last 2 weeks with my 12.5" Grendel. 123 SST performed perfectly on all of them. The furthest shot was at 315 and I still got full pass through and good blood trail.
I'm happy with it.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
txgunner00 Wrote:I've downed 3 deer, a hog and a lot if coons in the last 2 weeks with my 12.5" Grendel. 123 SST performed perfectly on all of them. The furthest shot was at 315 and I still got full pass through and good blood trail.
I'm happy with it.
Yall are killing me... Im getting excited to get a barrel in and get this thing together! Your giving us great confidence for the 12.5" barrels tx. A 315 yrd shot with a 12.5" barrel is awesome and more that I expected. Do you have any chrony data for your barrel?
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
I have not measured it yet. I just shot it out to various distances up to 500 yds to get some dope. I'm guessing 2350 ish based on drops.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
Out of my 12.5" BHW, 5 shot avg was 2288 with factory 123 Amax's.
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Hey thats not bad at all!
|