Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Why doesn't the Grendel have the Following of the 6.8 SPCII
#81
LRRPF52 Wrote:They had barrels and barreled uppers, scarce to no bolts/BCG's.

I wasn't really in the market. I just noticed the 6.8 was the only ones there. PSA took to selling uppers with no bolt/bcg as well as no charging handle on other uppers as well a while back, which is a fine business model if people will keep buying. I got a 300blk from them, but was not put out because it was a wonderful barrel and I was pleased to get a BCG/bolt/charging handle that I really wanted anyway.

Not sure how that modifies the point though.
Reply
#82
woohoo Wrote:Depends on who's handloads. 1200R will push a 120 to 2800 out of a 20" barrel with no signs of pressure and sub MOA accuracy. There are a lot of guys who think AA2200 is a magic powder and can be used with everything from 85-130 grain bullets. It's a fast burning powder that should IMO be used on bullets from 85-110gr max. 8208, H335 and N530 work better than 2200 with a 120, at least in my testing.

Those famous words "with no signs of pressure".
Reply
#83
XcountryRider Wrote:Contractor is Woohoo Smile Those are also going to be low production wildcats. Grendel VS 6.8SPCII will be on going for years to come.

XCR,

I'm well aware that constructor and woohoo are usernames by the same good guy.

Let's make a point of reviewing this Thread, a year from now. Personally, I hope there's more exciting topics to challenge our collective minds, at that time.
Reply
#84
SHORT-N-SASSY Wrote:Gentlemen,

After reviewing the latest over at the 270AR SPR Thread http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.ph...ar-/page74: Reply #737, By constructor, "6.5AR coming mid-2014"; Reply #739, By biggdawg, ". . . Looks like I will be able to load 2.35" - 2.36" or so with 5 rounds," I think it's fair to ask, Is the question posed in the title of this Thread fast becoming a moot point?

I dare state that 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting year!

ouch, lets not get me to involved over here. Bill says I'm here too much nowBig Grin

XC's right though, all of these things except the Nexgen are special projects with small lots of 100 barrels.

When around a bunch of guys that like to wildcat ideas flow like crazy. They want 338s, 357/358s, 20 and 224 varmint cartridges and just about every other caliber based on anything that will fit in an AR. If I think I can sell a batch it's much easier for me to make them than it is for each one of them to have a custom barrel made. I just give them what they ask for.
Reply
#85
woohoo Wrote:Funny, I sold 40 something thousand dollars worth of 6.8 barrels in 24hrs last feb when I had 3 different shipments come in at the same time. It usually takes less than a week to sell $22,000 worth of 6.8 barrels depending on what they are. 16s sell faster than 18s and 18s sell faster than 20s. I'm a small shop and advertise on 1 forum. Of course we sell more 5.56 barrels than 6.8 but it's not as lop sided as you may think. Like most I can't get 5.56 and 6.8 barrels made as fast as I can sell them.

Congratulations! Best of luck with your business. There might well be a lurking variable with the PSA products that isn't readily apparent. I was interested in their 5.56/300blk products because they had an FN barrel that had impressive specs and I didn't give their other products or reasons for their availability or dearth of same a great deal of thought.
Reply
#86
It looks to me like they get large shipments of parts from FN. They sell stuff cheaper than anyone. It's like Buds, they sell stuff for less than wholesale.
I think I could have sold a lot of 264 barrels this year but I couldn't get them made and after DPMS and Armalite stopped making 7.62x39 parts extractors have been tough to find. I don't want to machine extractors and don't really want to contract them out either. Maybe things are slowing down and production will get back to semi-normal next year.
Reply
#87
H whats your 6.5mm Wildcat case going to be based on?
Reply
#88
XcountryRider Wrote:H whats your 6.5mm Wildcat case going to be based on?
There are 4 -6.5 cartridges I may chamber this next year if I can get barrels. The 260 Rem in the Nexgen. A 6.5x45 based on the Carcano also in the Nexgen for testing the idea of a mil GPC. Now that LWRC is selling the receivers that use Pmags and they allow loading to 2.32" If I can trim the 6.5x47 based cat back to 41mm and the neck is still long enough and there is an advantage over the BRX which requires fireforming I may do that. I've been trying to get Lapua to make BRX brass for a few years now. The Lapua sponsored shooters say they will not make BRX brass because it may hurt the 6.5x47 sales. The last is on a 41mm 6.8 case also because of the Magpul 6.8 Pmags and LWRC receivers. I have a 5.56 and 6mm based on the 6.8 case already.
ETA a 6.5AR based on a 41mm 6.5x47 case has a capacity of 43gr (using Hornady Creedmoor brass at half the cost of Lapua)and requires no fireforming. 123gr at 2800fps out of a 20" but newer powders may increase that.
The 6.5 BRX has 42gr capacity using Lapua brass.
So expensive brass and fireforming or inexpensive brass and no fireforming for the same performance. Win 308 brass works just as well as the Creedmoor brass and roughly the same cost.
Homebrewer is shooting the 100gr TTSX out of a BRX I built a few years ago at apx 3100fps.
Reply
#89
woohoo Wrote:There are 4 -6.5 cartridges I may chamber this next year if I can get barrels. The 260 Rem in the Nexgen. A 6.5x45 based on the Carcano also in the Nexgen for testing the idea of a mil GPC. Now that LWRC is selling the receivers that use Pmags and they allow loading to 2.32" If I can trim the 6.5x47 based cat back to 41mm and the neck is still long enough and there is an advantage over the BRX which requires fireforming I may do that. I've been trying to get Lapua to make BRX brass for a few years now. The Lapua sponsored shooters say they will not make BRX brass because it may hurt the 6.5x47 sales. The last is on a 41mm 6.8 case also because of the Magpul 6.8 Pmags and LWRC receivers. I have a 5.56 and 6mm based on the 6.8 case already.
ETA a 6.5AR based on a 41mm 6.5x47 case has a capacity of 43gr (using Hornady Creedmoor brass at half the cost of Lapua)and requires no fireforming. 123gr at 2800fps out of a 20" but newer powders may increase that.
The 6.5 BRX has 42gr capacity using Lapua brass.
So expensive brass and fireforming or inexpensive brass and no fireforming for the same performance. Win 308 brass works just as well as the Creedmoor brass and roughly the same cost.
Homebrewer is shooting the 100gr TTSX out of a BRX I built a few years ago at apx 3100fps.

Keep us posted obviously fire forming is going to make it a nonstarter for most. If its just cutting and forming i'm in!! I would love to push 140gr SST's out of a AR-15 at or above 2500fps if thats possible.
Reply
#90
XcountryRider Wrote:Keep us posted obviously fire forming is going to make it a nonstarter for most. If its just cutting and forming i'm in!! I would love to push 140gr SST's out of a AR-15 at or above 2500fps if thats possible.

I agree, most hate the idea of fireforming.
Reply
#91
H why don't you make a Remington 30AR clone that can shoot 30AR ammo but technically isn't a 30AR? Kind of what Les Bears did with the Grendel. One of the things that held the 30AR back is we can't build it. If people could build one it would be a pretty big deal.
Reply
#92
XcountryRider Wrote:H why don't you make a Remington 30AR clone that can shoot 30AR ammo but technically isn't a 30AR? Kind of what Les Bears did with the Grendel. One of the things that held the 30AR back is we can't build it. If people could build one it would be a pretty big deal.

Brass.
Reply
#93
adrenaline junkie Wrote:Brass.

You can buy loaded ammo for the 30AR.
Reply
#94
Harrison's cat can be made from 308 based brass cheap.

You can use the same methods of making brass the way 300BLK guys do with 223 brass.

Chop,anneal and size with 6.5 creed or 6.5x47 dies with the bottoms milled to correct length.

I like to turn necks on cats sometimes with my forster neck turning tool.

They aren't expensive and easy to use once you get the hang of it using a portable drill.

You can make the brass a snug fit to the chamber.
Reply
#95
They are right...brass
When Creedmoor brass is used to form the 270AR it has more capacity than the 30Rem AR
[Image: rar_vs_270.jpg]
Reply
#96
woohoo Wrote:They are right...brass
When Creedmoor brass is used to form the 270AR it has more capacity than the 30Rem AR
[Image: rar_vs_270.jpg]

Can't you use the same bolt and build a barrel for the 30AR? It wouldn't be a CAT but something none reloaders could get into.
Reply
#97
XcountryRider Wrote:Can't you use the same bolt and build a barrel for the 30AR? It wouldn't be a CAT but something none reloaders could get into.
No, the safety queens at Remington thought it would be a great idea to use a .493 rim diameter on the RAR case instead of the .473 like the 450 Bushmaster has. I looked into it a few years ago. Mags are tough to find. They just made a small batch of brass this year, it may be gone already.
Reply
#98
woohoo Wrote:No, the safety queens at Remington thought it would be a great idea to use a .493 rim diameter on the RAR case instead of the .473 like the 450 Bushmaster has. I looked into it a few years ago. Mags are tough to find. They just made a small batch of brass this year, it may be gone already.

So that would require a bolt design still maybe worth it. The 30AR would be a great hunting round if someone would pick up what Remington failed at. The hobbyist build it yourself market is no longer a niche thing its now basically the market. You can't build a 30 Remington so no ones interested. If you could build one then it would be a totally different story. Commercial ammo is available for it online. We just need someone to make a 264 LBC type variant of it.By that i mean what Les Baers did with the Grendel. Something that technically isn't a 30AR but can shot commercially available 30AR ammo. A 30AR loaded with 150gr Nosler BT is pretty wicked as far as AR-15's go. I know getting brass is hard for the 30AR but loaded ammo is available.
Reply
#99
A look at midwayusa shows plenty of 30 Remington AR ammo in stock. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearch...mington+AR
Reply
XcountryRider Wrote:A look at midwayusa shows plenty of 30 Remington AR ammo in stock. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearch...mington+AR

Not sure of your definition of plenty, but there's less than 200 boxes currently available. Might be interesting to see how long it lasts considering the seemingly obscure availability of weapons to fire it.
Drifter
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)