Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
Tedward Wrote:Here is the e-mail to me with the date: not positive if the copied info will follow
[FONT="]From:[/FONT][FONT="] Woody Woodall [mailto:lotharwalther@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 7:52 AM
To: Tedward
Subject: RE: 6.5 Grendel Barrel[/FONT]
You will have to send in a purchase order and payment. There are barrels that are 18,20, 22 , 24 and 26”. Delivery is about a month at this time.
Woody Woodall
yup. it sure did...1 month from July 1st 2013. NOT
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Tedward Wrote:Yes I am referring to Woody, I think he is upset because he can't get bolts. I don't know what the deal was Thursday but yes, he tells stories for hours and is very knowledgeable. He said he was going to contact Hornady and tell them to pull there bullets and SAMMI too because the cartridge is not being produced correctly. I said that has nothing to do with the bolt or cartridge so if you make the barrels so do yours right. We have an up and coming bolt maker that can help you out. He said they need certified as I said in my post a few back. I spoke to Frank, who also spoke to Woody I think Monday, and I asked Frank (Maxum) what certification would he be referring to? Frank has no clue who the bolt certifier is. If you do it would be nice to know who Woody was referring to.
I guess the Grendel Monster is getting the best of LW & CSS. I just wanted a barrel.
That's really funny.
Let's see.....Hornady is a member of SAAMI, Hornady introduces the cartridge for SAAMI certification after negotiations with Alexander Arms, SAAMI says everything loods good, but you can't have a trademark on the name if it is to be certified. Alexander Arms releases the trademark. SAAMI certifies the cartridge. Hornady produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately, except for a few that are used in chambers that don't meet the SAAMI guidelines. Black Hills produces thousands of rounds of LBC 264 to the same guidelines using Hornady brass and they all go BOOM appropriately in BOTH SAAMI and LBC chambers. Wolf produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately in LBC and SAAMI chambers. Alexander Arms produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately in SAAMI and properly chambered LBC chambers.
AND NOW, Woody has decided that Hornady, Black Hills, Wolf, and AA have all been producing ammunition that is not being produced correctly? There are an awful lot of deer, pigs, elk, sheep, moose, coyotes, bobcats and smaller vermin who would be REALLY happy if someone would just produce that ammunition correctly so it didn't kill quite so many of them!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
10-19-2013, 10:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013, 10:58 PM by Tedward.)
bwaites Wrote:That's really funny.
Let's see.....Hornady is a member of SAAMI, Hornady introduces the cartridge for SAAMI certification after negotiations with Alexander Arms, SAAMI says everything loods good, but you can't have a trademark on the name if it is to be certified. Alexander Arms releases the trademark. SAAMI certifies the cartridge. Hornady produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately, except for a few that are used in chambers that don't meet the SAAMI guidelines. Black Hills produces thousands of rounds of LBC 264 to the same guidelines using Hornady brass and they all go BOOM appropriately in BOTH SAAMI and LBC chambers. Wolf produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately in LBC and SAAMI chambers. Alexander Arms produces millions of rounds, all of which go BOOM appropriately in SAAMI and properly chambered LBC chambers.
AND NOW, Woody has decided that Hornady, Black Hills, Wolf, and AA have all been producing ammunition that is not being produced correctly? There are an awful lot of deer, pigs, elk, sheep, moose, coyotes, bobcats and smaller vermin who would be REALLY happy if someone would just produce that ammunition correctly so it didn't kill quite so many of them!
I know, just telling you what he said and the biggest question, who certifies Bolts? He did mention MPI (mass particle inspection) and I told him all of my Tactical Ammunition bolts have that stamped on them. Even then that doesn't matter because apparently there was a bad batch and some where over hardened. Someone on this forum posted that and TA replaced there bolt after it being used just a few times. So certification or not, things break.
So call Monday and hear it for yourself so you can post the story he tells you.. if you care what he say's. I don't any longer and now am disappointed in his views. I just canceled my order and moving on...... but will read what you post Tuesday...
Bill Alexander
Unregistered
Only the military certifies bolts. Correctly they do not, they require that the part is certified against the specifications they issue contractually for the part.
MPI is magnetic particle inspection. Bolts in the white are subject to a high pressure test cartridge. They are then held in magnetic field and a fluorescent material that is able to conduct a magnetic flux is applied while the part is examined in UV light. Cracks above a certain size will concentrate the magnetic field and be revealed. The fundamental error with the process if you are looking at the life of the part is that the very test to certify the integrity of the part will significantly reduce the life due to the overload.
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Tedward Wrote:I know, just telling you what he said and the biggest question, who certifies Bolts? He did mention MPI (mass particle inspection) and I told him all of my Tactical Ammunition bolts have that stamped on them. Even then that doesn't matter because apparently there was a bad batch and some where over hardened. Someone on this forum posted that and TA replaced there bolt after it being used just a few times. So certification or not, things break.
So call Monday and hear it for yourself so you can post the story he tells you.. if you care what he say's. I don't any longer and now am disappointed in his views. I just canceled my order and moving on...... but will read what you post Tuesday...
Naw, I have a life! I don't need to waste anymore of it on useless conversations. I can get enough of that here on the Forum! LOL
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
Thanks for the correct information Bill.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
Ok then. Say I cancel my lw order. Then who do I get a bolt from when I find a barrel?
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
bigbear_98 Wrote:Ok then. Say I cancel my lw order. Then who do I get a bolt from when I find a barrel?
Keep your order in place and let us know when you get it. A bolt can't be that much money vested to see if they ever come available.
Then keep your eyes on this forum for the group bolt buy to finalize. Precision Firearms will offer the bolts once available very soon.
Right now there are 6.5 Grendel bolts on Gun Broker if you can't wait.
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Joined: Aug 2013
Tedward Wrote:Here is the e-mail to me with the date: not positive if the copied info will follow
[FONT="]From:[/FONT][FONT="] Woody Woodall [mailto:lotharwalther@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 7:52 AM
To: Tedward
Subject: RE: 6.5 Grendel Barrel[/FONT]
You will have to send in a purchase order and payment. There are barrels that are 18,20, 22 , 24 and 26”. Delivery is about a month at this time.
Woody Woodall
I put in an order in January with confirmation, got the same run around and finally cancelled right before the group buy closed. If the general public was receiving the goods from LW you would be able to read about it here. LW is misrepresenting.
Posts: 184
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2013
Beamreach
How did you cancel your order, letter email? Did you get a refund? How long did it take?
ragedracer1977
Unregistered
I ordered Mid July and got this email August 1.
Quote:A barrel ordered in the last two weeks will probably ship in mid September.
Tom Stewart
And no, I haven't seen my barrel yet.
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Joined: Aug 2013
Walter Wrote:Beamreach
How did you cancel your order, letter email? Did you get a refund? How long did it take?
By e-mail, and I requested verification of the cancellation and received it. I originally ordered with a credit card and am not sure if charges were ever made.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
Tedward Wrote:Keep your order in place and let us know when you get it. A bolt can't be that much money vested to see if they ever come available.
Then keep your eyes on this forum for the group bolt buy to finalize. Precision Firearms will offer the bolts once available very soon.
Right now there are 6.5 Grendel bolts on Gun Broker if you can't wait.
I have a barrel, bolt, gas block combo ordered through them. I was wondering if I were to find a barrel from another source, who has bolts?
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
bigbear_98 Wrote:I have a barrel, bolt, gas block combo ordered through them. I was wondering if I were to find a barrel from another source, who has bolts?
Then if I were you, I would do what I did. I can't tell you what to do but I don't have $500 to sit and collect dust. I'll find another source as I have done here with the Lilja Group Buy. As I said, wait till the bolts come available here or check GB. There are few and far between so do what your gut tells you to do, mine said get my money and that is what I'm doing.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM by bigbear_98.)
Well last night I looked on Krieger's website and on their inventory list they had a 26" 6.5 barrel in stock. Per the advice of my two year old, I called this morning and bought it. I am having them cut it down to 20" with a 1" behind the gas block, .936" gas block, and .812" to the muzzle, threaded 5/8-24. It comes with a gas block. Send them my muzzle device and a bolt and they send me a bolt on ready barrel.
I then called Alexander arms and was told they had standard bolts in stock. I ordered two. We will see if they really have them in stock.
I will email CSS/LW and cancel here shortly.
Let me know your thoughts. Right barrel profile to run a suppressor on? Krieger worth double the cost especially since the guy I spoke with put his hands on the barrel?
ETA: I had to edit to tell this story. We were sitting at the dinner table last night and I mentioned this debacle to my wife. We started to discuss all of the options. I looked at my 2.5 year old and asked her, "Lother Walther, wait and get jacked around, or Krieger who has it in stock, but maybe no bolt?" Her answer was "Yeah Krieger..." Then some inaudible mumbles while waving her hand in the air, " Then you go BOOM!"... She is a sharp kid.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
I just called Krieger and you might want to check the gas port location. I was just told what they have is 2" longer than the rifle length. You might have gotten the last one but that is what he has on hand so it can't be cut down.
Just don't want you to be upset if this is correct.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
Tedward Wrote:I just called Krieger and you might want to check the gas port location. I was just told what they have is 2" longer than the rifle length. You might have gotten the last one but that is what he has on hand so it can't be cut down.
Just don't want you to be upset if this is correct.
We actually discussed this. The guy I talked to put his hands on it and micd it. He said something was entered in the computer wrong.
So did they have more than the barrel I bought?
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
bigbear_98 Wrote:We actually discussed this. The guy I talked to put his hands on it and micd it. He said something was entered in the computer wrong.
So did they have more than the barrel I bought?
Confused, did you get a barrel or not?
I got my check back today from LW, going to deposit it tomorrow. Full amount of refund, no hassle. He was short though when I talked to him and asked if it shipped. Woody answered "YES". That was it, I said "Thanks, bye" but all I heard was "Click".
oh well...
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
Short answer is YES, I have a barrel and a bolt.
Long answer...
I don't have the barrel in my possession yet, but according to the invoice I got yesterday from Krieger and the three phone calls I made with (Sean?), yes, I own a Krieger 6.5 Grendel barrel chambered to SAAMI specs. I have to get a bolt and ship to them to headspace.
I called AA and asked if they had any bolts available. Stephanie said yes and to place the order online and that it will ship in 7-10 business days. I ordered 2 standards, but called again to verify. I spoke with another woman (Deborah?) and she said Stephanie shouldn't have told me that because there is no telling when I will get a bolt because there are so many other people ahead of me. I received an email saying basically the order could be back ordered without any other notice.
I then today called Les Bear and asked the same question. The woman there said yes, type 2 and they would ship tomorrow. I ordered two of them.
Then later today Woody with LW replied to my email saying the order was canceled.
So I am getting a Krieger barrel, and possibly 4 bolts. If the Les Baer get here before the 7-10 I will cancel the AA order.
I can say that Talking to the folks at Krieger, Alexander Arms, and Les Baer was a totally different experience than Lothar Walther. LW acted as though I was wasting their time.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
bigbear_98 Wrote:Short answer is YES, I have a barrel and a bolt.
Long answer...
I don't have the barrel in my possession yet, but according to the invoice I got yesterday from Krieger and the three phone calls I made with (Sean?), yes, I own a Krieger 6.5 Grendel barrel chambered to SAAMI specs. I have to get a bolt and ship to them to headspace.
I called AA and asked if they had any bolts available. Stephanie said yes and to place the order online and that it will ship in 7-10 business days. I ordered 2 standards, but called again to verify. I spoke with another woman (Deborah?) and she said Stephanie shouldn't have told me that because there is no telling when I will get a bolt because there are so many other people ahead of me. I received an email saying basically the order could be back ordered without any other notice.
I then today called Les Bear and asked the same question. The woman there said yes, type 2 and they would ship tomorrow. I ordered two of them.
Then later today Woody with LW replied to my email saying the order was canceled.
So I am getting a Krieger barrel, and possibly 4 bolts. If the Les Baer get here before the 7-10 I will cancel the AA order.
I can say that Talking to the folks at Krieger, Alexander Arms, and Les Baer was a totally different experience than Lothar Walther. LW acted as though I was wasting their time.
I have talked to all of them too. You will get your LBC Bolt in about 3 days. I have ordered from them and if they have them, you get them. And I have a couple coming too.
Don't hold your breath on the AA Bolts, just wait patiently. I've been waiting 10+ months so I just leave my order open so one day I can put a time line on the actual turn around. Just for Sh.. N Giggles. Also, AA is a good group of people and I talked to them today about my 17HMR upper, 11 months so far, but if I get it by Christmas, that's fine, even spring. It will just be my plinker... She said they just got the barrels and the 17HMRs are going into production soon so like I said, Christmas...
LW, I won't call ever again. Guess he is just to busy with some other barrel making so the best to them.
|