Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
maximus Wrote:It looks good but I'm waiting for a high quality bullpup for my next rifle.
I'd really like to have a 65Grendel bullpup.
It seems that the AK and AR's might be replaced eventually by BP's.
[SIZE="3"]maximus,
Welcome to the 6.5 Grendel Forum!
Re a 6.5mm Grendel-chambered Bullpup, our shooting world is still waiting for Kel-Tec, Faxon Firearms and K&M Arms to do their thing (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...post114237) ---
![[Image: 15243726258-1ef426d3b0-k.jpg]](http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/15243726258-1ef426d3b0-k.jpg)
(Kel-Tec RDB)
[/SIZE]
Posts: 34
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2015
The trivial stampings are of no concern. The keyboard engenders such bravery.
Returning to the task in hand I can report that this rifle, despite the butt ugly furniture runs like a top. Magazines function exceedingly well and the unit despite the best efforts of some abysmal sights shoots quite well. I have IPSC BC zone steel swingers set across the range at distances from 200 to 300 yards and it is quite possible to dance the hits up and down these. Testing has concentrated on steel cased ammunition but I have run a variety of types. It is clear that the Molot engineers have carefully tuned this unit for the steel cased rounds. The recoil impulse is almost non existent and what is observed is very smooth allowing rapid follow ups shots.
As far as groups go the sights have precluded any testing to determine the ability of the rifle. I feel that the errors seen are purely created by myself struggling with the sight picture. When I did manage a string of what I considered reasonable shots the group was 2" but not regular in shape. I was not able to repeat this.
As mentioned the rifle will be making its way to Krebbs for a mild make over. It will then get a side mount and a CM4 scope after which it should be much easier to shoot.
The negatives so far are clearly the sights but also that the range adjustments have no bearing on the actual range. I think the sight is an identical unit to the 7.62x39 and as such do not account for the trajectory. The front edge of the magazine well is overly sharp and should be slightly radiused if one intends to shoot target type ammunition. On occasion this edge will slightly touch the long ogive stuff and the presence of fine copper shavings is less than desirable.
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
What's a CM4 Scope? Is that a POSP 4x?
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Bill Alexander Wrote:this rifle, despite the butt ugly furniture
Thank you for confirming this! I am formally requesting a version with military-style furniture. Others have said that where the wooden buttstock meets the rear of the receiver at an angle, they actually cut that angle into the metal of the rear of the receiver to fit the ugly wood buttstock. No!
The attached picture is what I want. Straight-forward, no-frills, military functionality.
Note, particularly, the front sight built into the gas block.
Can the muzzle be cut to standard AR threads for standard AR muzzle devices?
Note also the slick handguard, with just a bit of rail built in.
Bill, I know the Russkies are, uh, "interesting" to work with and I know you'll work the best deal you can, but I wanted to get my wish list on the table because I know how difficult things are to change once the ball really gets rolling.
Guys! Back me up here!  
P.S. Added a second photo showing a version adapted for AR buttstocks. Just need an inexpensive basic model serving as a platform for personal customization.
P.P.S. Added a third photo, the one Stan found showing wood furniture and muzzle-mounted front sight tower — just to have the comparison in one place.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
I'm with John! If it can be imported like that....
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
I too am opposed to firearms being termite-vulnerable. :handshake : : )
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Ditto for me BFT. I see a new rack of AK's in my future if it is done right.
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
07-24-2015, 08:50 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015, 09:16 PM by GSPHunter.)
The wood stock looks nice, but I never liked the way it felt. With a proper pistol grip, collapsible stock, and a cleaned up trigger, I'd buy a 16" one tomorrow :-)
P.S. Bill, Please don't let Krebs Customs cut the notch in the dust cover portion of the safety lever!
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
GSPHunter Wrote:P.S. Bill, Please don't let Krebs Customs cut the notch in the dust cover portion of the safety lever!
No love for the bolt hold open?
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Variable Wrote:No love for the bolt hold open?
I think its a nice feature for a rifle that spends its life going between the safe and the range....not so much for one that's going to be laying around the bilge of boat :-) I do appreciate the larger and closer to the trigger safety lever.....I guess I can always weld up the hole if thats the way it'll come.
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
Fair enough.
You can add a tab to a stock safety instead.
http://www.krebscustom.com/products/184/...safety-tab
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 7
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
Hello all. This is my first post. Thanks to BFT for sorting my access out.
I own nothing at the moment but anticipate ordering two AA products shortly, starting with Grendels' nemesis, which I had never heard of until I was reading up on Indiana's (where I live) wacky deer gun laws, which specifically named the 50 Beo as a legal round. So Bill can thank the Indiana DNR for that bit of profit. Then I will progress to Grendel. But then there is this AK-47 news and I am blown away. Am I correct in thinking this is AA's next big thing and these will eventually be for sale?
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
So, whats the allure on this Ak 6.5 unit ? Is it only for cheap ammo ? Accuracy will be junky, quality same as ...
When did we leave the Grendel by the roadside in the ditch ?????
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
07-25-2015, 05:11 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015, 05:20 AM by GSPHunter.)
sneaky one Wrote:Accuracy will be junky, quality same as ...
Hi Sneaky! I don't know if you've ever handled a Vepr, but they are solid rifles, not like most of the crappy AK's you may have handled. My buddies Vepr is about as accurate as most chrome barreled AR's that I've seen at the range.
It seems like nitrided barrels might be hot right now, but I doubt they will be as corrosion resistant as Chromed.
I know of a couple native alaskan friends that will only use a mini14 due to problems with AR's when the temp drops below -40F, a properly lubed AK should keep running as well.
An AK's operating system is directly related to the M1 Garand.....gas tube and op rod on top, working a 2 lug rotating bolt. Assuming good metalugy, It should be able to tolerate the same pressures as a bolt action.
sneaky one Wrote:When did we leave the Grendel by the roadside in the ditch ?????
That reminds me of something a friend told me, When he was in Vietnam, he dug an AK out of a riverbank.....After a little rinsing and cleaning the mud out of the barrel, it ran fine....He still regrets not sending it home.
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
sneaky one Wrote:So, whats the allure on this Ak 6.5 unit ? Is it only for cheap ammo ? Accuracy will be junky, quality same as ...When did we leave the Grendel by the roadside in the ditch ?????
Sneaks! Dude, is the 6.5 Grendel a rifle or a cartridge? Granted it's a cartridge designed to work mag-length in an AR15, but it's still a cartridge. I'm gonna shoot it in ARs, bolt-actions, and —yes — in an "AK65." The allure is that guns is fun, and there's more than one kind of gun in the world. If they chambered SCAR to run 65G, cool! In an AUG? Cool! Any gun using 5.56 should have a 65G counterpart.
GSPH, Col David Hackworth in one of his books tells a similar story. Runs across an AK and pulls it out of the mud, racks the charging handle, "Watch this, guys, here's a real combat gun." And he fires a burst.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Been Googling and I know that Molot can do a "square back" receiver — as opposed to the "slant back" — because they did it on the attached .223 version so that it can accept standard AK stocks.
P.S. Note the front sight gas block and the compact rear sight.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:. . . In an AUG? Cool! Any gun using 5.56 should have a 65G counterpart. . . .
[SIZE="3"]Indeed, a 6.5mm Grendel-chambered Steyr F90/EF88 would catapult the 1970s-designed Steyr AUG into the 21st Century --- (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=...76#msg6976).
Unfortunately, Steyr appears to be stuck in 5.56mm land (http://thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/0...-contract/).
[/SIZE]
Posts: 4,033
Threads: 106
Joined: Apr 2011
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:Thank you for confirming this! I am formally requesting a version with military-style furniture. So sorry, John, but I'm pretty sure there are import restrictions which prevent that. You'll just have to take it with the ugly furniture, and have it customized, like Bill is doing.
Quote:Note, particularly, the front sight built into the gas block.
Makes for a rather short sight radius. Would (IMO) really need the rear sight moved back, as on the Finnish AK you posted earlier.
Quote:Bill, I know the Russkies are, uh, "interesting" to work with and I know you'll work the best deal you can, but I wanted to get my wish list on the table because I know how difficult things are to change once the ball really gets rolling.
Guys! Back me up here!  
Well, it's not quite how I'd like it configured, but since it seems extremely unlikely that I'll ever be able to buy another rifle, you have my support.
Posts: 4,033
Threads: 106
Joined: Apr 2011
sneaky one Wrote:So, whats the allure on this Ak 6.5 unit ? Hey, it's Russian ammo. Seems only fair to shoot it in a Russian gun...
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
Not too worried about the short sight radius. I see the iron sights only as emergency back-ups for short-range use, so I'm totally content to let them be minimally intrusive.
The most serious flaw in the entire AK program, IMO (mine are almost never humble  ), is the lack of an integrated top-cover rail. But I don't think it's worth fussing about at this time because it's more important to get a good base model flowing in and mod it here than to wait for "perfection." I'd rather some American ingenuity be applied to the problem, anyway, because if the Russians do it, it will probably be overbuilt and clunky.
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
|