JASmith Wrote:Thanks! Sounds like they werent playing around.
Edit The apparent speed and loudness gives me the impression that these guys were no more than a few thousand feet above you when they passed. Were they climbing?
I ask because, unless engine parameters have changed in the past decade or three, jet engines are especially thirsty below 10-15 thousand feet. Even more so with afterburners going.
They may not have been going to Montana - - -
They were climbing and it was getting dark so it was hard to tell what kind of jets they were...
Fallon Naval Air Station is about 40 miles from my house...
Normally 1 maybe 2 military jets in a month fly over here...
In a hour or so, Ill be heading to the back of the place to shoot at 150, 200, and 250 yards. Checking the trajectory of my new 123 gr SST loads. Due to Dianes target pictures, however, you will not see any of my target pictures.
603 Country Wrote:In a hour or so, Ill be heading to the back of the place to shoot at 150, 200, and 250 yards. Checking the trajectory of my new 123 gr SST loads. Due to Dianes target pictures, however, you will not see any of my target pictures.
02-12-2023, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2023, 09:40 PM by DIANEB.)
Bonas Wrote:That looks to be a 10-shot group under .5 moa. That's very hard to do, to say the least. Nice work! What was your rifle, optic, and rest set up?
Thank you...The 10-shot group is just under one inch (.970)...It's a Uintah Precision 6.5 Grendel with a 22 inch barrel bolt rifle, a Uintah comp, Athlon 5 to 25 X 50, Rise Armament 3 lbs flat trigger, Luth MBA rifle stock, and Luth fat boy pistol grip...Cheap UTG bipod ($40) but it works great... It has 20 moa built in the upper...I'm also using a single shot bobsled magazine so I load the OAL longer than the magazine (2.320 and 2.350)...
DIANEB Wrote:Thank you...The 10-shot group is just under one inch (.970)...It's a Uintah Precision 6.5 Grendel with a 22 inch barrel bolt rifle, a Uintah comp, Athlon 5 to 25 X 50, Rise Armament 3 lbs flat trigger, Luth MBA rifle stock, and Luth fat boy pistol grip...Cheap UTG bipod ($40) but it works great... It has 20 moa built in the upper...I'm also using a single shot bobsled magazine so I load the OAL longer than the magazine (2.320 and 2.350)...
That's a nice set up!
It's funny, but some UTG stuff is pretty good. The pro lines are quite nice. I might have to pick one of those bipods up. It's clearly working just fine.
It's funny, but some UTG stuff is pretty good. The pro lines are quite nice. I might have to pick one of those bipods up. It's clearly working just fine.
Nice rifle! I have a very similar setup with a 22 UP upper and a Vortex Razor 4.5x27 but in 6mm ARC. It shoots way better than I can. It hates 105gr Hornady Black but loves the 108gr ELD-M. Sorry know its not 6.5 G but love the UP uppers.
shooter545 Wrote:Nice rifle! I have a very similar setup with a 22 UP upper and a Vortex Razor 4.5x27 but in 6mm ARC. It shoots way better than I can. It hates 105gr Hornady Black but loves the 108gr ELD-M. Sorry know its not 6.5 G but love the UP uppers.
I was out yesterday with a PF 18" fluted criterion just messing around at 265yds, there were a bunch of steel targets that got abused. Everything from a 12", down to 4" it was almost boring how consistently we were ringing that steel. Nothing special on the ammo: Frontier 123 OTMs, but Mark's barrel in a precision hunting platform with a Triggertech Diamond trigger it really was the belle of the ball. If you're reading this Mark, as always, your barrels are worth the wait. At one point, I literally had 5 plates swinging at once...and I'm not that good a shot.
crusader18 Wrote:I was out yesterday with a PF 18" fluted criterion just messing around at 265yds, there were a bunch of steel targets that got abused. Everything from a 12", down to 4" it was almost boring how consistently we were ringing that steel. Nothing special on the ammo: Frontier 123 OTMs, but Mark's barrel in a precision hunting platform with a Triggertech Diamond trigger it really was the belle of the ball. If you're reading this Mark, as always, your barrels are worth the wait. At one point, I literally had 5 plates swinging at once...and I'm not that good a shot.
EEEh, I want a Unitah precision rifle in 6.5 Grendel sooo much. Just not possible at this time. Keep shooting, it is a perishable skill and hard to reacquire as one gets older! So many things that I wish I could do over. Best of luck on you pig hunt.
"A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
Edward Abbey
"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
Sinclair Wrote:EEEh, I want a Unitah precision rifle in 6.5 Grendel sooo much. Just not possible at this time. Keep shooting, it is a perishable skill and hard to reacquire as one gets older! So many things that I wish I could do over. Best of luck on you pig hunt.
Thank you... I'll keep shooting for as long as I can...