Posts: 240
Threads: 64
Joined: Jan 2014
05-24-2015, 11:14 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM by cst.)
I am not a fan of the flat that lilja puts on the barrel personally..I ended up putting in clamping gas blocks on all my lilja barrels.
although properly installing a gas block won't move, current thinking is that a dimple would help secure it under heavy fire.etc... however the flat that is milled on the barrel takes away just enough material that the ability to pinning a gas block would be a little questionable.
rule of thumb from noveske and many others....if it's a fighting gun. Pin it..otherwise it doesn't matter.
lilja flat is ther to help orient the gas block...but if u try to dimple the flat .it makes me alittle insure about over tightening the screw and adding pressure to the bore..though I've never seen that happen....
Go to their website anD download the barrel scematic drawings pdf
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
cst Wrote:I am not a fan of the flat that lilja puts on the barrel personally..I ended up putting in clamping gas blocks on all my lilja barrels.
although properly installing a gas block won't move, current thinking is that a dimple would help secure it under heavy fire.etc... however the flat that is milled on the barrel takes away just enough material that the ability to pinning a gas block would be a little questionable.
rule of thumb from noveske and many others....if it's a fighting gun. Pin it..otherwise it doesn't matter.
lilja flat is ther to help orient the gas block...but if u try to dimple the flat .it makes me alittle insure about over tightening the screw and adding pressure to the bore..though I've never seen that happen....
Go to their website anD download the barrel scematic drawings pdf
Although I dont own a lilja barrel, I use a clamp gas block on all my builds. I feel I get a better seat or fit per say with them. The only one I own that doesn't have a clamp is my noveske and its penned.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
Personally i just feel better if i pin my gas block, maybe im hard on my gear lol? Also what’s the barrel life of 6.5 Grendel, 10,000 rounds?
Posts: 369
Threads: 53
Joined: Mar 2012
05-24-2015, 05:24 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015, 06:39 PM by Blacklab.)
I have 2 Lilja barrels 204 and 223 wylde. They are wonderful barrels and shooters. IMO you can't go wrong with Lilja. For the record I'm throwing money in the wishing well for a 260. This will my perfect bench shooter..............wink
Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.
Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.
Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
Blacklab Wrote:I have 2 Lilja barrels 204 and 223 wylde. They are wonderful barrels and shooters. IMO you can go wrong with Lilja. For the record I'm throwing money in the wishing well for a 260. This will my perfect bench shooter..............wink
Oh im sure they are awesome barrels, i personally would like to pin my SLR gas block. Just a personal preference is all.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
06-09-2015, 02:30 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 02:35 PM by Christopher67.)
am4966 Wrote:FYI, precision firearms does chamber BHW barrel blanks so you can get a true Grendel chamber if desired and yes he can do the pinning of the gas block and other gunsmith things. If you order from BHW have them head space and give you a bolt that's .136 that was the bolt that was designed for grendel use
I Noticed that BHW doesn't offer a type II .136 bolt, only a type I .125, is this something i would have to call & ask for? Are there issues with the .125 type I bolt?
1x8 twist or a 1x9 twist on a 20" barrel?
Posts: 267
Threads: 18
Joined: Dec 2013
Here's a picture of the flat sorry for the delay. I wasn't actively following this. You will want a 1-8 on a 20".
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
Adam Lilja Wrote:Here's a picture of the flat sorry for the delay. I wasn't actively following this. You will want a 1-8 on a 20".
![[Image: d1a0a70c3d.jpg]](http://puu.sh/iikXO/d1a0a70c3d.jpg)
Awesome, thank you!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
I like to seal the gas block so there is no leakage from the port and gas block junction. I also seal the gas tube for the same reason. What I like about the Lilja flat on their barrels is that it indexes the gas block Top Dead Center.
Of all the barrel makers out there, I have not seen bores as smooth as on Lilja's, nor have I seen chambers that clean. They really do pay attention to the finished product in a way that shows you quickly that you're getting a hand-crafted product.
Bill A. was very impressed with the finish of the bore and chamber, and said it would require optical instruments to see any tooling or finishing marks in these barrels.
Even my lightweight Wasp contour 18" barrel is shooting great for me, and I haven't even worked a load for it yet.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 241
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2014
Christopher67 Wrote:I Noticed that BHW doesn't offer a type II .136 bolt, only a type I .125, is this something i would have to call & ask for? Are there issues with the .125 type I bolt?
1x8 twist or a 1x9 twist on a 20" barrel?
Yes you can get a type 2 from BHW. You can call and order or when ordering online just type it in the instructions box you want it chambered as type 2 while checking out.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
lead chucker Wrote:Yes you can get a type 2 from BHW. You can call and order or when ordering online just type it in the instructions box you want it chambered as type 2 while checking out.
Awesome, thank you.
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
LRRPF52 Wrote:I like to seal the gas block so there is no leakage from the port and gas block junction. I also seal the gas tube for the same reason. What I like about the Lilja flat on their barrels is that it indexes the gas block Top Dead Center.
Of all the barrel makers out there, I have not seen bores as smooth as on Lilja's, nor have I seen chambers that clean. They really do pay attention to the finished product in a way that shows you quickly that you're getting a hand-crafted product.
Bill A. was very impressed with the finish of the bore and chamber, and said it would require optical instruments to see any tooling or finishing marks in these barrels.
Even my lightweight Wasp contour 18" barrel is shooting great for me, and I haven't even worked a load for it yet.
By sealing the gas block & tube you mean with blue loctite?
Posts: 54
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2015
+2 on Black hole Weaponary
Posts: 54
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2015
Battle Tested Equipment (BTE) clamp on micro Adjustable gas block
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Christopher67 Wrote:By sealing the gas block & tube you mean with blue loctite?
Red on the gas block.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 316
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2014
Love my black hole weaponry barrel 3/8"groups all day long if I do my part the other day had a 3 1/2 "group at 600 meters
Posts: 125
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2015
LRRPF52 Wrote:Red on the gas block.
I’m afraid I would plug the port LOL!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Christopher67 Wrote:I’m afraid I would plug the port LOL!
That's never been an issue for me, and Loc-tite is anaerobic. I am careful as to how I apply it to the block to make sure none gets in the port. You would really have to drench it in there to occlude the gas port.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 135
Threads: 9
Joined: Mar 2011
Christopher67 Wrote:I’m afraid I would plug the port LOL!
After I put on my gas block with red Loctite I put a quick shot of carb cleaner through. I run a patch into the gas port area to soak up any carb cleaner then run a patch of bore cleaner through. Never had a trace of loctite show up after that and I use plenty of loctite when I install the block.
Posts: 345
Threads: 22
Joined: Mar 2012
Brakleen cleans as well as carb cleaner and leaves no residue.
|