Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cans 'n bolts
#21
MrFrankZ Wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but in this case would you open the block up more or restrict the gas flow? I plan on running my 30 cal can on my 18" Satern mid-length with a JP adjustable, but after waiting all this time I would prefer not to muck it up.

No worries MrFrankz, I use a 30cal suppressor with my grendel (18" satern and a Jp adjustable block) with no ill affects at all. I have shot it more suppressed than unsuppressed. I have never had a problem, if I have one it wont be because of the suppressor. As said in above posts, the suppressor causes back presssure that gets the bolt nice and dirty but thats it. I turn the gas down 1/2 turn when suppressed and back up 1/2 turn when just using a brake. But I only shoot it suppressed now.
Reply
#22
interdasting...........

I've been running my 12" Grendel with a 30 cal can for 2 1/2 years now with no ill effect. I guess time will tell.

also use the same 30 cal can on a 308 bolt gun, as well as my 5.56 M4 with no problems.
Reply
#23
Nukes Wrote:Yikes! Not a happy event either, but beats the dickens out of having the flesh stripped off your forearms.

Certainly you have reinforced my interest in avoiding reloading subsonics (except .45 ACP) or purchasing discount or "off brand" subsonics.
Replacing a barrel is eons better than replacing flesh, no doubt. In my case, there were two stuck in the barrel. With ear pro on and shooting paper 50 yards away, my buddy had no clue that the first shot stove piped. He thought he missed the target. He shot again, and at that time I noticed that either he couldn't hit a 24x36 target or we had a serious problem. It was the latter.
After I got the new barrel, I was super hesitant about using more subsonics. Hell, I weighed charges like a maniac. After the initial fear subsided and I know 100% that I am not making that amateurish mistake again, I am back to shooting almost every time I go out. The can I use is "hollywood quiet" as my buddy likes to call it, especially with the GB closed. You hear a 'poof' then ping .25 second later. VERY satisfying.
Reply
#24
I have two blkouts also, a 16" Noveske and a 8" satern, neither have a adjustable block on them. Both will cycle subs fine without a suppressor, but they are my reloads. But they are so much better suppressed, if your going to shoot subs is might as well be suppressed! Luckly iv never stuck a bullet and hope i never do! If im trying a new load I try to start high and work down.

Just my way of looking at the gas system and cans... Say on the grendel, with a adjustable block and a can, when you adjust the gas down to where the bolt will lock back on last round. That should be about the same amout of gas going through the system as when your shooting unsuppressed with the block opened up to where the bolt will lock back on last round. That said, the difference with my rifle suppressed and unsuppressed is 1/2 turn. So there is no increase in gas pressure in my gas system with the can on.
Reply
#25
I've also had one or two stuck but no Ka-Boom. I think something must have been done terribly wrong to do that kind of damage.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#26
I lifted this from the Blackout Forum...posted by Robert Silvers:

Quote:Q: Is an adjustable gas block required to shoot subsonic unsuppressed, subsonic suppressed, full power unsuppressed, and full power suppressed?
A: It depends on the brand. An AAC will shoot all four configurations wihout any adjustment needed when using Remington or similar ammunition. No doubt several top makers will have products which will do this, but not all will.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopi...28&t=73274

I have a Noveske 10.5" barrel (non-adjustable gas block). Running subsonic ammo unsuppressed was not reliable (but I don't really know why one would run subs unsuppressed)...
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Reply
#27
BjornF16 Wrote:I lifted this from the Blackout Forum...posted by Robert Silvers:



I have a Noveske 10.5" barrel (non-adjustable gas block). Running subsonic ammo unsuppressed was not reliable (but I don't really know why one would run subs unsuppressed)...

His quote sort of reinforces what I had said....with the 300BLK, it depends......Theirs will run factory Remington, but what about Hornady or......or handloads. My experience is that like the Grendel, its a cartridge that is close to the edge when it comes to complete reliability. MOST of the time, everything works, but sometimes, under the right circumstances.....not so cool!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#28
MrFrankZ Wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but in this case would you open the block up more or restrict the gas flow? I plan on running my 30 cal can on my 18" Satern mid-length with a JP adjustable, but after waiting all this time I would prefer not to muck it up.


You would want to close it off some, as with a suppressor you are getting more gas blowing back. Just dial it down tell it barely cycles than open it up 1/4 a turn so its reliable.
Reply
#29
bwaites Wrote:His quote sort of reinforces what I had said....with the 300BLK, it depends......Theirs will run factory Remington, but what about Hornady or......or handloads. My experience is that like the Grendel, its a cartridge that is close to the edge when it comes to complete reliability. MOST of the time, everything works, but sometimes, under the right circumstances.....not so cool!

I was running Remington 220 OTMs. I think I only ran one or two sessions unsuppressed and had some failure to feeds. No problem ejecting. Shooting the 220 OTM suppressed was fine. Hornady, HSM and Remington supersonics run fine (suppressed and unsuppressed).

Since I got my suppressor, I haven't bothered shooting subs unsuppressed. Big Grin
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Reply
#30
I was having all kinds of dreams of building myself a short little pistol AR in .300 Blackout. Now I'm not so sure it is a good idea.
Reply
#31
As has been said several times in this thread, if you get an AGB then you'll have no problems. I love mine, after my initial hiccup. It is a pleasure to shoot and hunt with.
Reply
#32
longdayjake Wrote:I was having all kinds of dreams of building myself a short little pistol AR in .300 Blackout. Now I'm not so sure it is a good idea.

Like I said, I have 2 blkouts, one a 16" noveske and one 8" pistol. Both function flawlessly with subs and supers. I love the short package of the pistol, it rides my back seat great. Lots of firepower in a short little package. I have a vortex reddot on it, hits on 10" steel at 200yrds is no problem with supers and subs at 100yrds.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)