Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
AR plastic / polymer mags for Grendel?
#21
Drifter Wrote:I doubt that anyone meant that the metal mags rattle internally. It's probably that anything coming in contact with metal will be noisier than polymer, and / or metal mags that fit loosely in the weapon tend to make noise at inopportune times.

Ok, understood on that. I thought they meant internally.


In the grand scheme, I don't fully understand the fixation with polymer mags. But I will admit that when I head out the door with a 556 AR-15, I always grab polymer mags.

Since my 223 Wyde is for Varmints I'm not as worried about them as much and do grab the poly's but its my Tapco. The P-mag in 10 round are ok but just not to much liking to the 30 rounders. I like the metal 30 rounders or Tapco. I have dropped my 30 rond P-mags and they bulged and I have had to hit them around to realign the bullets. Just thin plexible material. Maybe I'm just to rough but if dropping it does what I said, then like on the TV shows, when they throw one across the room, and it hits the floor, I would hate to see what really happens...
Reply
#22
cory Wrote:I defer to your opinion. I believe it's more accurate then my initial assessment.



If we're talking about forged lowers and uppers I agree it'd be far to expensive. However, billet uppers and lowers should only require a new machining program.

Making the program cost money and time. Then testing to make sure it works. Not so easy or everyone would be doing it.

When I fully load my 25rd mags there often seems to be a round in the magazine that isn't static, and thus will rattle as the magazine shakes. I believe that's what they're referring to.

We can't hunt with the 25 round and not sure when hunting if you need the 25 round magazine. Once you pop off a couple rounds, my deer run away for the next few hours...Either way, I don't use the 25 rounders because it cost to much to fill them and if they stack loosely with the metal magazine, seems as if it would be worse with a poly.
Reply
#23
Bill Alexander Wrote:Magazine tooling is simply expensive. I have a design for a polymer type Grendel magazine but the original production route fell through. We are not neglecting the Grendel magazine as I view this as the weakest link in the Grendel weapon system. There is a need for a well made and reliable magazine. As I write I have the design proposal on my desktop.

Sounds great... As you mentioned expensive, I wanted to have a small part injection molded. Making them in metal is $20 each being laser cut and bent. Have the mold made was $15,000 up front cost then the part was $.20 each. If you do the math, I would have had to sell a boat load to recoup my cost then make the profit and need the upfront cost.

So having it on your desk I understand that's why it is still there...BUT, once you make some I'll be willing to test or buy oneSmile
Reply
#24
cantgrowup Wrote:Which if any AR-15 plastic / polymer mags are made for or will work with 6.5 Grendel ammo ?

The Magpul plastic mag I use will shoot Grendel Hornady 123 factory ammo all day long. It will take 12 Grendel rounds, but bulges out a little and is tight in the reciever. I just load it with 10 rounds and run it. Never had an issue.

Glenn
Reply
#25
Tedward Wrote:Sounds great... As you mentioned expensive, I wanted to have a small part injection molded. Making them in metal is $20 each being laser cut and bent. Have the mold made was $15,000 up front cost then the part was $.20 each. If you do the math, I would have had to sell a boat load to recoup my cost then make the profit and need the upfront cost.

So having it on your desk I understand that's why it is still there...BUT, once you make some I'll be willing to test or buy oneSmile

$15,000 must have been a small mold. At my old job our injection molded tools were over $100k each.
Reply
#26
frank Wrote:$15,000 must have been a small mold. At my old job our injection molded tools were over $100k each.

Yes it was, that was for a small simple part. And if you think about it, a magazine has 3 parts and the body may be 2 parts or even more expensive for the hollow body. Then you need the springs too. Assembly and packaging..

Not just an inexpensive task of just programming something to make a part that exists already.
Reply
#27
What is really so great about a Polymer mag in the first place? I have no issue with my SS mags
Reply
#28
Smith5361 Wrote:What is really so great about a Polymer mag in the first place? I have no issue with my SS mags

It depends on the polymer mag. Not all polymer mags are made the same. P- mags "in my opinion" made the AR-15 reliable. The P-mag doesn't have the straight and then bent curve angle as do the mil spec mags and they were the first to have a non tilt follower in a AR-15 magazine. The magazine system in the AR-15 was one of the week links in it's system "in my opinion" and Magpul changed it with their affordable P-mags. There is a reason Magpul factory runs 24-7 making AR-15 magazines. The metal AK magazine is legendary for its reliability but it is heavy. The Bulgarian circle 10 mag is made of polymer and metal and is also very reliable but is a lot lighter and much sought after. No magazine is perfect and they all have their strengths and weaknesses but it is hard to beat a Magpul mag for reliability and cost. All Magpul products are known for their quality and reliability. Some people have had issues with some of their P-mags but I have never had a problem with one unlike my experience with mil spec type mags. I would love to have the option of using a Magpul true 30 round magazine in 6.5 Grendel even if it required a new redesigned lower.
Reply
#29
The polymer mags don't scratch up our pretty brass.
Reply
#30
dmsims21 Wrote:The polymer mags don't scratch up our pretty brass.

Polymer doesn't wear and scratch the inside of my receiver either. I think polymer is easier to load, and feed better than metal mags as well. P Mags are a great product in my view.
Reply
#31
As soon as Grendel usage reaches a certain point, somebody will solve the plastic Grendel mag riddle. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Until then I'll have to keep running 13-14 rds in my allegedly 17-rd ASC mags.
Reply
#32
Schwag173 Wrote:As soon as Grendel usage reaches a certain point, somebody will solve the plastic Grendel mag riddle. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Until then I'll have to keep running 13-14 rds in my allegedly 17-rd ASC mags.

Do some forum searches... I've posted pics in the past showing the stacking problem with the wall thickness required for plastic mags and the AR-15 magwell dimensions.

The only fix would be a hybrid steel/plastic approach, which would still have steel mag lips, etc.

But a box stock magpul will work with Grendel, you just get issues over 5-10 rounds due to the unequal stacking pressure.

My brass gets scratched, but it's never the mag. Usually it's receiver extensions, feedramps, etc. Much sharper edges and harder steel!!! My belief is that most supposed mag scratches are really from the feedramps/extension.
Reply
#33
pinzgauer Wrote:Do some forum searches... I've posted pics in the past showing the stacking problem with the wall thickness required for plastic mags and the AR-15 magwell dimensions.

The only fix would be a hybrid steel/plastic approach, which would still have steel mag lips, etc.

But a box stock magpul will work with Grendel, you just get issues over 5-10 rounds due to the unequal stacking pressure.

My brass gets scratched, but it's never the mag. Usually it's receiver extensions, feedramps, etc. Much sharper edges and harder steel!!! My belief is that most supposed mag scratches are really from the feedramps/extension.

I second that!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#34
Curious if anyone has tried Lancer mags, they have metal feed with plastic body.
Reply
#35
RAM2940 Wrote:Curious if anyone has tried Lancer mags, they have metal feed with plastic body.
I was thinking that last night and will look at one tomorrow to see if I can move my follower to there body and if I can, i'll buy one and test it. They have those at my LGS.

More to follow unless someone already tried..
Reply
#36
pinzgauer Wrote:Do some forum searches... I've posted pics in the past showing the stacking problem with the wall thickness required for plastic mags and the AR-15 magwell dimensions.

The only fix would be a hybrid steel/plastic approach, which would still have steel mag lips, etc.

But a box stock magpul will work with Grendel, you just get issues over 5-10 rounds due to the unequal stacking pressure.

My brass gets scratched, but it's never the mag. Usually it's receiver extensions, feedramps, etc. Much sharper edges and harder steel!!! My belief is that most supposed mag scratches are really from the feedramps/extension.

To create a reliable polymer mag for the 6.5 Grendel,it would require a mag well re-design," like LRWCI has done with the 6.8 SPC". The object isn't to have more case length but create a mag well wide enough to fit a reliable polymer mag which needs more width. To create a structural sound polymer mag, more width would be required in the mag well for this to occur. This would allow a reliable P-mag to be designed with a true 30 round capability and cure the week area of the Grendal as Bill Alexander himself has stated.
Reply
#37
An old thread on Grendel mags, with some posts about P-Mags that may be of interest:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...endel-mags

I didn't find anything on Lancer mags, but did come across an old post by LRRPF52 regarding Troy Battle Mags:
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...1#post7655
Reply
#38
I think sneaky has experimented with lancer mags. If I'm not mistaking, and I may be, the feed lips needed tweaking and wouldn't hold up. He's out shooting and checking stands today and prolly won't be available for comment until tonight or tomorrow.

Richard
Reply
#39
I bought a couple Lancer Mags. With the 223/556 followers the Grendel rounds worked fine. I was going to change the followers to a Blue Grendel Follower but it stacked and fed fine by hand.

I'll be testing tomorrow but those mags feel great and ZERO flex. I really like them. Also got a black and semi-clear. I like the semi-clear so I can see the spring tension and how many rounds are in there.

more to follow tomorrow.
Reply
#40
Tedward Wrote:I bought a couple Lancer Mags. With the 223/556 followers the Grendel rounds worked fine. I was going to change the followers to a Blue Grendel Follower but it stacked and fed fine by hand.

I'll be testing tomorrow but those mags feel great and ZERO flex. I really like them. Also got a black and semi-clear. I like the semi-clear so I can see the spring tension and how many rounds are in there.

more to follow tomorrow.

Tried some of my Lancers, but they were a no go with more than three or four rounds. Spontaneous unloading with 10 plus rounds, the feed lips didn't have enough grip to hold the larger diameter case I suspect.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)