Welcome A320.. You would be amazed at how many "gun nutz" there are.. Bunches and bunches..
For example, I know one who recently drove 4 hours to Dallas, spent the night, just to be able to go to the Dallas Market Hall gun show.. And I was not disapointed - ops. I guess it should be clear that nut was me - hey I haven't been to one in over 15 years..
Anyway M1 Sales had a huge number of barreled actions at the show.. Clearly they had more complete AR uppers than anyone else at the show.. Easily 100 or more.. From pistol lenght to 24" or more perhaps..
Plus lots and lots of barrels and other stuff.. In fact I thought I found what at first looked like a 14" Grendel barrel.. Turned out to be 16" long though.. I guess that was good, because I really don't need a Grendel pistol or SBR, but I sure would "like" one <grin>..
What they didn't have was prices marked on anything.. I was able to figure out the color coding they used to identify their barrels and barreled uppers.. But the real killer was they didn't have enough sales people, and the kid I was talking to didn't know jack, and had to keep going back to the main guy..
I was reaching the end of my day by this point, and didn't want to hang around and wait any further for the main guy so I left without buying anything from them.. But it wasn't for lack of wanting too.. I am sure they are great to deal with, once you can get a hold of the right person.. flk k
flk k
fkleinbu Wrote:Welcome A320.. You would be amazed at how many "gun nutz" there are.. Bunches and bunches..
For example, I know one who recently drove 4 hours to Dallas, spent the night, just to be able to go to the Dallas Market Hall gun show.. And I was not disapointed - ops. I guess it should be clear that nut was me - hey I haven't been to one in over 15 years..
Anyway M1 Sales had a huge number of barreled actions at the show.. Clearly they had more complete AR uppers than anyone else at the show.. Easily 100 or more.. From pistol lenght to 24" or more perhaps..
Plus lots and lots of barrels and other stuff.. In fact I thought I found what at first looked like a 14" Grendel barrel.. Turned out to be 16" long though.. I guess that was good, because I really don't need a Grendel pistol or SBR, but I sure would "like" one <grin>..
What they didn't have was prices marked on anything.. I was able to figure out the color coding they used to identify their barrels and barreled uppers.. But the real killer was they didn't have enough sales people, and the kid I was talking to didn't know jack, and had to keep going back to the main guy..
I was reaching the end of my day by this point, and didn't want to hang around and wait any further for the main guy so I left without buying anything from them.. But it wasn't for lack of wanting too.. I am sure they are great to deal with, once you can get a hold of the right person.. flk k
flk k
fkleinbu,
Thank you for the very kind welcome. I got a real chuckle out of your story of the guy who drove to Dallas only to have it turn out to be you. I think M1 may be a family owned business thus all the people within that have little to no knowledge of the products. I have spoken with them now 4 different times and each time was a pleasant experience.
I have never attended a gun show here in Cali as its almost a waste of time. Well that may be a little over the top but I have little respect for the government here that seeks to limit my constitutional rights all in the name of gathering votes in order to get elected to offices. Ok going off on a tangent here sorry, anyway never had ever given any thought to owning an AR and now just like flying its addictive as hell.
I really have to thank my coworker and hunting buddy Mark for helping me pick this caliber as my first. I was really going to go with 7.62x39 but he talked me out of it. I listen to him as his knowledge of firearms and all things related is far superior to mine. He is also a reloader and spends considerable time when developing a load and if you get him talking about, that conversation can go on for hours. Now he knew nothing about the 6.5mm Grendel so we started researching together. He called me later on that evening and said what I already knew and that this round was a hotrod.
The plan is this, build and econ 6.5 Grendel then take it on a mission for which I am building it and that is Texas Hog hunting. If it performs like I think it will then the econ M1 will go to my youngest who is fast becoming a gun nut too. He already got what is a brand new Marlin 336 that I bought just last year around this time and have taken a hog with it. I took my night scope off and put on a nice bushnell 3x9x40 for him. I hope to have this bulid completed by mid July so long as M1 sales stays on schedule.
A320
One thing about the AR.. The recoil spring makes a lot of racket as it rattles against the side of the receiver extension (tube).. Worse, it is right where your ear is.. And if you are wearing ear muffs, they normally rest on the stock and transmit the "boing" right into the muffs.. Argghhh!!! It made me 'nutz'.. It made such a nice little rifle sound like a toy..
It was the main thing which kept me from wanting to have an AR for these many years.. I have owned a couple AR's over the years, but each time I ended up selling them after shooting them a few times..
Then I ran across the JP silent captive spring.. It replaces the recoil spring and buffer and does not make a sound.. The gun writers claim the JP Captive Spring makes the action a lot smoother, and maybe it does.. How can anyone tell how smooth the action with the damn sound of the spring??
I do know the AR's in which I have installed the JP Spring are so much more of a pleasure to shoot.. I have no doubt about that fact.. I have already installed 3, and have 4 more on back order.. Anyway, here is the link to MidwayUSA.. But I think I all of the major distributers carry them (e.g. Brownell's as I had noted previously)..
. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316607/...ring-ar-15
Not sure how much you have shot an AR, but if you don't like the sound of the standard spring the stock, know you don't have to live with it.. It can be fixed very easy.. This is one of those things just about anybody should be able to install.. The only difficult part is the waiting for the JP captive spring to be delivered..
And that is the bad side.. Like everything else AR, they are on considerable back order.. My order through Brownell's was supposed to be filled last week (after a 3 week BO).. Now they are telling me it will be the end of July at the earliest.. I guess a lot of other people don't like the sound of the spring either <grin>..
Flk
(P.S. I am in no way connected with this product, other than a happy user).. flk k
fkleinbu Wrote:One thing about the AR.. The recoil spring makes a lot of racket as it rattles against the side of the receiver extension (tube).. Worse, it is right where your ear is.. And if you are wearing ear muffs, they normally rest on the stock and transmit the "boing" right into the muffs.. Argghhh!!! It made me 'nutz'.. It made such a nice little rifle sound like a toy..
It was the main thing which kept me from wanting to have an AR for these many years.. I have owned a couple AR's over the years, but each time I ended up selling them after shooting them a few times..
Then I ran across the JP silent captive spring.. It replaces the recoil spring and buffer and does not make a sound.. The gun writers claim the JP Captive Spring makes the action a lot smoother, and maybe it does.. How can anyone tell how smooth the action with the damn sound of the spring??
I do know the AR's in which I have installed the JP Spring are so much more of a pleasure to shoot.. I have no doubt about that fact.. I have already installed 3, and have 4 more on back order.. Anyway, here is the link to MidwayUSA.. But I think I all of the major distributers carry them (e.g. Brownell's as I had noted previously)..
. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316607/...ring-ar-15
Not sure how much you have shot an AR, but if you don't like the sound of the standard spring the stock, know you don't have to live with it.. It can be fixed very easy.. This is one of those things just about anybody should be able to install.. The only difficult part is the waiting for the JP captive spring to be delivered..
And that is the bad side.. Like everything else AR, they are on considerable back order.. My order through Brownell's was supposed to be filled last week (after a 3 week BO).. Now they are telling me it will be the end of July at the earliest.. I guess a lot of other people don't like the sound of the spring either <grin>..
Flk
(P.S. I am in no way connected with this product, other than a happy user).. flk k
Thanks Bro,
Never fired an AR so I have no reference point. I know that when I am in the woods sitting in my tree stand waiting on the parade of hogs to hit the feeder I cant hear anything other than all the grunting and snorting then I hear the sound of my shot and loud squeeling. I doubt I would even notice the spring during that time but would if I were at the range.
A320
My grendel is from model 1 sales. It too was my first AR. Just like you I wanted an entry level rig. However, since I found the handload it prefers I can easily hold an inch or less. At one point I sheared two of the lugs off the bolt. I ordered another one and got it within a week. I didn't have to tweak the handload for accuracy. I was very pleased with the service and quality. There are many co's out there that speak of astounding accuracy. However, I am no sniper. My shooting abilities and ability to judge the wind still limit me to about 500yds. For now, this is all I need.
Tikka Wrote:My grendel is from model 1 sales. It too was my first AR. Just like you I wanted an entry level rig. However, since I found the handload it prefers I can easily hold an inch or less. At one point I sheared two of the lugs off the bolt. I ordered another one and got it within a week. I didn't have to tweak the handload for accuracy. I was very pleased with the service and quality. There are many co's out there that speak of astounding accuracy. However, I am no sniper. My shooting abilities and ability to judge the wind still limit me to about 500yds. For now, this is all I need.
Did you pop those lugs with home made ammo?? Did you have any problems with factory ammo?
A320
As a follow up, I finally finished the majority of barrel break in (shoot one, clean, etc,) of 40 rounds. Then shot a 10 round group at 100 yards that measured 1.75 inches. This was using the Wolf Gold 123gr ammo. My next step is to use Hornady factory 123gr Amax for further testing. There have been absolutely no problems of any kind. Very pleased with Model 1.
I'd be very interested in finding out how the factory Hornady does.. flk k
my first Grendel was an AA 14.5 Tactical, but i picked up a 19.5 inch Model 1 upper because it was to good to pass up. I put several hundred rounds through it, no problems. Accuracy was on par with my AA upper. Longest shots were 250yds on a possum that was crossing my field. I used 123gr Lapua, 120gr wolf MPT, and 90gr TNT loads through it. Had to sell it a couple years ago to pay some bills. Ran into the guy i sold it to at a gun show several months later, and he had nothing but good to say about it.
A320,
My first AR (and build) was with a Model 1 upper I got at the Gun Show in Dallas. I had researched the round and was kind of slow about moving forward. My wife and a friend and I were at the gun show and Model 1 had some really good prices (circa Feb 2010) so my wife told me to stop thinking about it and just get it. So I did. Very pleased in every way. The rilfe out shoots me (not suprisingly). It's a 20" flattop. Again, I have only good things to say about Model 1 sales and the upper I got from them.
FWIW, I am tossing around the idea of selling my upper and moving out of the entry level market. I've learned what my preferences are and now I can get something that really fits my needs exactly.
PM me next time you are flying in town and we'll go shoot it together.
-michaelmew
michaelmew Wrote:My first AR (and build) was with a Model 1 upper I got at the Gun Show in Dallas.
[snip]
FWIW, I am tossing around the idea of selling my upper and moving out of the entry level market. [snip]
-michaelmew
Mike, you may consider just getting another.. I have never regretted keeping a firearm.. My only regrets are about the ones I have sold..
Flk k
Thanks Mike,
I most certainly look you up when in town. I usually fly into DFW not only for my hunting trips but often bid dfw overnights as well. I am waiting on this upper to arrive and 6 weeks is up two weeks from today. I think this gun will be a real show stopper for the hogs and if I like it I am going to build a .50 beowolf for myself and give this to my son. I simply can not wait.
A320
Hafast Wrote:As a follow up, I finally finished the majority of barrel break in (shoot one, clean, etc,) of 40 rounds. Then shot a 10 round group at 100 yards that measured 1.75 inches. This was using the Wolf Gold 123gr ammo. My next step is to use Hornady factory 123gr Amax for further testing. There have been absolutely no problems of any kind. Very pleased with Model 1.
Did model1 recommend that type of breaking in??
A320
Model 1 made no recommendation of any type. I was speaking of generic recommendations made by other suppliers I have used. Using the Hornady 123gr Amax ammo I'm getting groups of about 0.750" at 100 yards. It seems to be getting better as it is used. Or maybe I'm getting better? (Not Likely)
fkleinbu Wrote:Mike, you may consider just getting another.. I have never regretted keeping a firearm.. My only regrets are about the ones I have sold..
Flk k
Good advice. I am in an awkward situation because I need to sell my 1st one to finance my 2nd one. But, I don't want to wait with nothing in hand.
A320PYLT Wrote:Thanks Mike,
...if I like it I am going to build a .50 beowolf for myself...
A320
That has been on my list for probably a year now. I am still leaning towards .458 SOCOM, but big bore regardless. I would like to amend my previous advice and say that I think you should build the big bore first. Then, you can bring it with you and I can try shooting that while you try shooting the Grendel.
-mm
michaelmew Wrote:Good advice. I am in an awkward situation because I need to sell my 1st one to finance my 2nd one. But, I don't want to wait with nothing in hand.
That has been on my list for probably a year now. I am still leaning towards .458 SOCOM, but big bore regardless. I would like to amend my previous advice and say that I think you should build the big bore first. Then, you can bring it with you and I can try shooting that while you try shooting the Grendel. 
-mm
Hahahahahah well if I had ordered that .50 first it may have been here already too.
A320
This is my 10th week waiting for my Grendel.. Initially I was told the wait would be 4 to 6 weeks..
flk k
fkleinbu Wrote:This is my 10th week waiting for my Grendel.. Initially I was told the wait would be 4 to 6 weeks..
flk k
I was told and got an email stating 6 weeks I hope it doesn't run past that as I have set up hunt in mid August already.
A320
I spoke with Stephine a short while ago about my barrel because, as you, I was told 6 weeks.. I had ordered mine with the Shilen barrel upgrade, and they are short in getting those in.. I am guessing the standard barrels are available, and it is because I have the upgrade mine has taken so long.. I did pass up a Grendel at the San Antonio gun show last weekend but it was very hard..
Steph' tells me they just got some long awaitied Shilen barrels in, and if enough pass muster, I assume I'll be getting my Grendel in the next couple of weeks.. She asked I call back next week when they have had a chance to test the received barrels and will know they have enough to get to mine.. I have my fingers crossed..
I did get good news, in that Alexander Arms did receive my 17 HMR upper, and they are working on upgrading it for me.. I am hoping I get this back sometime in the next 2 weeks..
flk k
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Bill Alexander is VERY finicky about barrels. His QC checks are quite picky. When it comes to the AR, accuracy is all about the barrel, since there is no bolt to blueprint, action to true up, etc.
If the chamber isn't perfectly centered in regards to the barrel or barrel extension, if there is any little discrepency, he boots the barrel and moves on. That's great for those who get the barrels, not so great when you are waiting expectantly!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
|