Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
05-31-2022, 05:37 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 05:46 PM by grayfox.)
In your quest for "hard facts," I do not see any attempts (yet?) on your part in duplicating any of the observations, whether others' or yours -- or maybe I missed that?
A true scientific quest for hard facts will personally perform the experiments, observations if you will, on their own under their control of circumstances.
And I'm not completely sold on any particular theory, but I do have some skepticism in manufacturer's claims (who have a nickel in the outcomes, so to speak), plus the knowledge (this verified on my own part) of the Grendel's MV limitations vs a more "standard" USA hunting rifle. All too often the "outcome bias" desire lends one to overestimate the performance of his gun setup, after all more MV is better right?
So the 6.5 Grr, I have opted to try a few LFP's, but Barnes, the 100 ttsx, the 115 tac/mle (different construction with lower opening velocities), and a 110 Maker bullet. Even with those I am not completely sold but as far as I can tell, their performance on game will more likely than not replicate the gel and animal tests that have been posted here and elsewhere.
I think, you are so sold on the 120's, ok then fine, go ahead and use them... it's your hunt -- but please report back with your real-world data and results/pics when you get them.
Who knows, this could be your opportunity to prove your ideas.
But no complaining about "geee they're $1.00 a pop", you made the choice knowing this full well, so it's on you to do the necessary MV development and testing before you go hunting, not on anyone else.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
No comment on the video?
I will get around to chronographing it eventually and will post that number, my hypothesis is 2500 fps MV from a 16 at max load.
I think one or two of us may have an outcome bias. What Ive posted so far goes farther to make my point than anything else thats been offered up besides anecdotes (Barnes load data, email from Barnes, YouTube vid on bare gel expansion of this 120 TTSX at 2100 fps).
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
Quote: I will get around to chronographing it eventually and will post that number, my hypothesis is 2500 fps MV from a 16 at max load
...
And still stay below 52K PSI? Good luck with that!
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
You can reference the load data from Barnes website I posted that lists 2660 fps from a 24 Satern barrel. I dont think my number of 2500 fps based off that is too outlandish from a 16.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
05-31-2022, 08:25 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 08:40 PM by Harpoon1.)
GrendelGoon65 Wrote:You can reference the load data from Barnes website I posted that lists 2660 fps from a 24 Satern barrel. I dont think my number of 2500 fps based off that is too outlandish from a 16.
Yeah, Ive seen it! Respectfully, Ive tried those bullets and that powder a long time ago. Just saying
... I never seem to make the book speeds. Hope you do! Ive burned a lot of CFE-223 in the Grendel and 223/5.56 and its extremely temperature sensitive, with large ES/SD variations. You might do it on a hot day, and then be way short on a cold day. Look, Im all for you trying whatever you want, even hope it works out the way you think/hope it will.
You do realize, that CFE 223/Power Pro 2000-MR/Leverevelution are all in a knot at the extreme slow burn rate end for the Grendel? Youre new to this cartridge, maybe you dont, IDK? Now youre going to try and burn it all in 16 barrel! Sometimes Im surprised, just color me skeptical!
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
Considering none of my factory rifles Ive reloaded for shoot over .55 five shot groups and are single digit SDs and low teens ES I think Ive got the necessary experience to consider myself an expert on this thread. You can review my cases prep steps in previous post and measurement types to gain an understanding if youre in doubt. I really dont care about all the CFE temperature sensitivity hoopla, Im not shooting PRC matches. Ill chrony in temps I hunt in and go with that number for my drop. If you dont like my load / post go talk about something else on someone elses thread or keep commenting I dont really care much.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
05-31-2022, 08:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 08:58 PM by Harpoon1.)
Clearly, youre an expert on the subject! Which begs the question, then why even post here, if you already know all the answers? Hope it works out for you and you get the desired results!
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
05-31-2022, 09:00 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 09:02 PM by GrendelGoon65.)
To help someone else who was trying to find this info, Ive already said that. You guys are a hostile bunch man. Same 5 people on every thread. Sheesh.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
05-31-2022, 09:04 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 10:15 PM by Harpoon1.)
GrendelGoon65 Wrote:To help someone else who was trying to find this info, Ive already said that. You guys are a hostile bunch man. Same 5 people on every thread. Sheesh.
But you havent actually done anything, other than flap your gums and point to other peoples videos! When are you going to actually do something? Then post the data on here for all to see?
Posts: 14
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2022
As good ol John Wayne famously said, lifes hard, but its harder if youre stupid.
You all have a fine day now.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
05-31-2022, 09:15 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 10:58 PM by Harpoon1.)
Ah
.so youre going to pick your ball up and stick your lip out, then run home! Who knew?
Posts: 43
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2022
GrendelGoon65 Wrote:To help someone else who was trying to find this info, Ive already said that. You guys are a hostile bunch man. Same 5 people on every thread. Sheesh.
Well......you have failed miserably.
I was trying to "find this info".
Came in here and saw some extremely insightful contributions by other posters but yours are nothing short of rude and "know-it-all-ish".
Posts: 145
Threads: 3
Joined: Feb 2018
GrendelGoon65 Wrote:No comment on the video?
I will get around to chronographing it eventually and will post that number, my hypothesis is 2500 fps MV from a 16 at max load.
I think one or two of us may have an outcome bias. What Ive posted so far goes farther to make my point than anything else thats been offered up besides anecdotes (Barnes load data, email from Barnes, YouTube vid on bare gel expansion of this 120 TTSX at 2100 fps).
No need to comment, you are the proven expert. Your knowledge and understanding of the Grendel far surpass anyone here.
I only have a few thousand rounds on target and close to 300 kills on hogs and deer with the Grendel. I just hope that one day I will be as knowledgeable as you.
|