Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
107g Sierra HPBT match for hunting?
#21
Orchard6 Wrote:Thanks! I’m wondering if the open tip on the SMK will behave any differently vs the TMK?

I guess I’m going to have to start testing on some coyotes!

It is not just the OTM that is a problem, match bullets typically have thicker/harder jackets to minimize bullet deformation while handling and loading. Coyotes have a thicker heavier body than say a prairie dog which may allow the bullet time to tumble which would simulate expansion. Try them and let us know. I am curious myself.
"A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
Reply
#22
Sinclair Wrote:It is not just the OTM that is a problem, match bullets typically have thicker/harder jackets to minimize bullet deformation while handling and loading. Coyotes have a thicker heavier body than say a prairie dog which may allow the bullet time to tumble which would simulate expansion. Try them and let us know. I am curious myself.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wcxdCjF...CupekTQ7Bg

Not sure about other brands but according to Sierra their Match Kings have thin jackets. I’d think they’d work good for varmints. When I get some time I’ll start working a load up and see how it works.
Reply
#23
Orchard6 Wrote:https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wcxdCjF...CupekTQ7Bg

Not sure about other brands but according to Sierra their Match Kings have thin jackets. I’d think they’d work good for varmints. When I get some time I’ll start working a load up and see how it works.

Hmm, it has always been my understanding that match bullets had thicker/harder jackets. If the SMKs have thin jackets, then why does Sierra dissuade shooters from using them to hunt with, especially the 107 grainers with small/varmint type game? Thin jackets and higher velocities of the lighter bullets should make for a good varmint load. Seems to be a contradiction. Like I said earlier, let us know what your test results are. I would like very much to be able to settle upon two or three loads/bullets to keep things simple.
"A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
Reply
#24
Sinclair Wrote:Hmm, it has always been my understanding that match bullets had thicker/harder jackets. If the SMKs have thin jackets, then why does Sierra dissuade shooters from using them to hunt with, especially the 107 grainers with small/varmint type game? Thin jackets and higher velocities of the lighter bullets should make for a good varmint load. Seems to be a contradiction. Like I said earlier, let us know what your test results are. I would like very much to be able to settle upon two or three loads/bullets to keep things simple.

Sinclair:

Match bullets have thinner jackets than hunting bullets for big game. Not sure about varmint bullets but a match bullet is made for stability over long distances where hunting bullets of any sort are designed around expansion within a band of velocities.

Since a match bullet is not designed around expansion and lethality, it makes sense that few would recommend them for hunting.

LR55
Reply
#25
Right. So because match bullets usually are not designed with expansion in mind, depending on the bullet make and model, they can perform in very inconsistent or unreliable manners when hitting flesh. Some actually perform great (Hornady AMAX is the example I keep going back to) and some are an experiment in terminal ballistic performance with every shot on game. Some work very much like varmint rounds (almost "explosively") and people using them for varmint hunting quite happily.
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#26
I have had great success using the 68gr Hornady HPBT match that I load for my 223 AR on hogs. And I have used the ELDM with my Grendel on a hog and coyote with out any issues. I like to test my loads on hogs to see how they will work. But bullet placement is always key.
Reply
#27
Klem Wrote:Lazy,

29.4/8208 for the 107SMK is a hot load according to QL. It predicts 2723 from a 20" barrel but at 8K lbs over SAAMI and 105% compressed case full. If its an AR I would be cautious.

QL recommends no more than 28.1 for 2600.


To follow-up on this, I downloaded the free Gordon's Reloading - and that is in agreement - my pressure with this load is listed as above SAAMI spec for Grendel, even though it was in the book as below max. Not sure what's up there, but between the muzzle velocity, and Gordon's (and your QL), there are now 3 sources saying the above listed load is too hot for an AR15 in Grendel.

I will say my Grendel is shooting it fine; and it's not stupid-high pressure; but it is high. I'll probably shoot out what I have, but doubt I'll make any more at that pressure.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)