Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
drewthebrave Wrote:Lots of good info in this thread. Like the OP, I'm looking to upgrade from my 16" Anderson barrel to something a little better suited for precision shooting. I'll only be shooting factory ammo for the foreseeable future and was leaning towards a GB Monster barrel in 18" or 20".
However, that deal on the ARP barrel seems like a no-brainer. From what I've read, their barrels are shooters. Is there any reason NOT to go with that option for under $200? I'm dang near ready to place the order!
I can think of one really big one. But it has nothing to do with the product itself.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
drewthebrave Wrote:Lots of good info in this thread. Like the OP, I'm looking to upgrade from my 16" Anderson barrel to something a little better suited for precision shooting. I'll only be shooting factory ammo for the foreseeable future and was leaning towards a GB Monster barrel in 18" or 20".
However, that deal on the ARP barrel seems like a no-brainer. From what I've read, their barrels are shooters. Is there any reason NOT to go with that option for under $200? I'm dang near ready to place the order!
DTB:
If you want a barrel for precision shooting, go to a couple of High Power and Precision Rifle Series matches and see who is turning in the best scores and after the match ask them what barrel they are using. Or you can find out by searching on legitimate web sites that are oriented on High Power, PRS, PRC, and Three Gun. These sites normally have listings of what the better competitors are using and are the best sources for finding out the best gear. I guarantee you that you will not find anyone shooting barrels that are under $200.00. I am not even sure what guys are using these days but in my era, Krieger, Shilen, and Hart were the big three. Bartlein and Satern were late arrivals for me. I would be looking at about $500 for the barrel plus what ever it cost to get it chambered and installed.
You can find cheap barrels that will shoot a minute at 100 but in most cases that won't extrapolate to longer distances and guys tend to have more problems with cheapo barrels than quality barrels.
This has been beaten to death on other threads. If you want performance, you will pay for it.
LR55
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2019
Craddock started to make 6.5 with Barleins and Rock Creek barrels. I have several of his barrels and they are all amazing. I have 2 in 5.56 and one in .308 and the .308 Bart. shoots 1/2" groups. So, I am sure his Grendel barrels will be awesome as well. He is a good guy also and super helpful and all around nice to deal with. He will be my next one for the Grendel for sure.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
OK, dumb question, who is Craddock?
Posts: 687
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2017
Craddock Precision. For the money I'd buy an SS Proof barrel.
Posts: 18
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2019
I was about to pull the trigger on the GB barrel but I read the comments on the ARP barrels. I am looking for the best barrel I can get under $200. I won't be shooting any matches but will be working up hand loads and looking for the best precision for the money. I am also considering using it as a deer hunting rig. I am deciding between the 18in and 20in and it looks like the APR barrel is only available in 18in. Would you guys recommend the 18in APR over a 20in GB Monster?
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Maverick7990 Wrote:I was about to pull the trigger on the GB barrel but I read the comments on the ARP barrels. I am looking for the best barrel I can get under $200. I won't be shooting any matches but will be working up hand loads and looking for the best precision for the money. I am also considering using it as a deer hunting rig. I am deciding between the 18in and 20in and it looks like the APR barrel is only available in 18in. Would you guys recommend the 18in APR over a 20in GB Monster?
The cost difference between a $200 and $500 barrel is not a lot when compared to the cost of the whole gun, including scope and all the ammunition you will ever fire out of it (and your reloading equipment). Do yourself a favour... shell-out a few extra dollars for a decent barrel.
The barrel is the gun and if it doesn't shoot then you won't be interested in shooting it.
Posts: 18
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2019
So you dont recommend either? I am all ears for suggestions.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Maverick7990 Wrote:So you don’t recommend either? I am all ears for suggestions.
To me what Klem is saying is. You get what you pay for.
Now about the 2 barrels you asked about. I would pick the group buy barrel BFT has got going for us simple on ethics alone. I would never give a dollar too the other guy. Personal choice due to ethics and morals.
If I had to put my name on a choice for a good budget barrel in a 18 inch length the AA 18 inch would be first inline followed closely by the 18 inch group buy barrel.
Again my personal thought and feelings.
But like Klem said the barrel is the gun. Buy the best you can afford and one that matches your needs and enjoy that bad boy.
Posts: 136
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2015
I know that the owner of ARP is not liked on this forum. However, I have great service out of his barrels in 6.8 and 6.5G. If you buy that closeout 18 inch ARP 6.5G barrel (if any left) and you do not like it - you can sell it without much loss (if any). How much do you want to spend on the barrel and upper build?
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
When I read you price point Alexander arms popped into my head. My 16” stainless fluted is an awesome shooter and was only $195 when I bought. Been a couple years so prices could have changed.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
rabiddawg Wrote:When I read you price point Alexander arms popped into my head. My 16” stainless fluted is an awesome shooter and was only $195 when I bought. Been a couple years so prices could have changed.
Mornin Dawg. Yea my AA 16 inch light weight is very accurate as well. To bad AA no longer sells that barrel. They do still have the 16 inch incursion and the 18 inch fluted light weight.
Barrels are 204 plus shipping. Was just looking at them thinking I need anouther grendel built of the PF reciver sets the at are on heavy discounted sale right now.
Posts: 376
Threads: 21
Joined: May 2014
Barrel, trigger, and scope in that order, everything else just holds it together. Spend your money on these 3 items and you will build a gun that satifies you and it will work for what you need it too.
My scopes usuallys cost more than the barrel. $350 is about as low as I will go on a barrel and have spent up to $900.00 on a barrel.
My "good" scopes are about $400-$700 and my "really good" scopes are $1000+.
Gieselle triggers in all my AR's. $200+
LaRue mounts $210+
I consider the above a solid build, meant for precision
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
05-05-2019, 02:36 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM by Popeye212.)
Lightning8 Wrote:I know that the owner of ARP is not liked on this forum. However, I have great service out of his barrels in 6.8 and 6.5G. If you buy that closeout 18 inch ARP 6.5G barrel (if any left) and you do not like it - you can sell it without much loss (if any). How much do you want to spend on the barrel and upper build?
I don't think it is so much him not being liked. More his vocal disdain of all things Grendel. The group buy barrel would seem to be your obvious budget choice. But if you choose to upgrade you really should give Mark at Precision Firearms a call and see what he can do for you he offers us a one time 20% discount to new members. My .02
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Maverick7990 Wrote:So you dont recommend either? I am all ears for suggestions.
Lilja 319 (18.8", 1:8 twist, stainless, 2.5lbs, $500). The basic unfluted version is better value for money. Fluting only saves 5oz yet costs an extra $130.
http://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/O00319.jpg
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
Maverick7990 Wrote:I was about to pull the trigger on the GB barrel but I read the comments on the ARP barrels. I am looking for the best barrel I can get under $200. I won't be shooting any matches but will be working up hand loads and looking for the best precision for the money. I am also considering using it as a deer hunting rig. I am deciding between the 18in and 20in and it looks like the APR barrel is only available in 18in. Would you guys recommend the 18in APR over a 20in GB Monster?
M7990:
Best barrel for under $200.00? Any one that meets any other requirements such as length, weight, etc. will be just fine. The chances of you getting a barrel that is useless is immense and then you can spend your time trying to figure out why it won't shoot or trying to convince the place that sold it to you that the barrel is the problem, not you or the ammo.
LR55
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
I sure hope that this doesn't mean that my group buy GM 16" is going to be junk. I haven't had time to get it to the range yet.
Posts: 224
Threads: 23
Joined: Oct 2016
Another vote for Lilja... Buy once, yada-yada...
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
Mad Charlie Wrote:I sure hope that this doesn't mean that my group buy GM 16" is going to be junk. I haven't had time to get it to the range yet.
MC:
I sure hope it doesn't mean your $200.00 Group Buy barrel is going to be junk. Remember though that we did have a group buy where the barrels were all short throated and this became a gigantic problem.
I do know that the chances of getting a poorly made barrel increases as its cost decreases.
LR55
Posts: 52
Threads: 6
Joined: Apr 2019
05-06-2019, 10:34 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM by Michael-95037.)
Just to throw another iron in the fire.... Wilson Combat barrels are 25% off until May 10. I just bought an 18" SS, fluted Recon Tactical barrel (32 oz.) for $214. Only issue is that I won't get it until mid June. They do have 20" versions (37 oz.) available now for a few bucks more. It may not be as accurate as some of the really high-end barrel ideas I've seen floated in this thread, but it should be plenty accurate enough for a nice hunting gun. Make your purchase with the intended use of your rifle in mind. Enjoy the search. Let us know what you ended up with and how it works for you.
|