Montana: Yeah, no kidding! You have an already registered lower and you don't even have a Grendel SBR?????
Are you crazy?LOL Jump in man, the water is more than just "fine"! It's fricking awesome!
I kill deer quite dead with a 10.5" upper, you'd be well more than "good to go" with a 16" barrel. It'll handle 400 yards very easily. As for 120gr. class bullets? Yep. I use and love Nosler 120BT bullets, as they are very accurate, and are perfectly suited to the Grendel's velocities. They work great on deer. For factory ammo you can kill deer all day long with Hornady's 123gr. Amax and SST loads. I use those when I'm too lazy to load, and they are very accurate for a factory loading, and also perform well on deer in my experience.
I have two barrels with 1-7.5" twist (a 10.5" and a 14.5") and they work just fine with a wide range of bullet weights. I can't speak to the particular upper you are looking at, but AA makes good stuff. I should perform well.
Are you crazy?LOL Jump in man, the water is more than just "fine"! It's fricking awesome!
Dr. Lee Wrote:Hello all, newbie from NC here. I have been lurking for a while and it's time to get going on the grendel I have been wanting for a long time.
I do feel the Grendel is a great round; always had a thing for 6.5's.
I presently have a nice 16" middy 5.56 with a 9" troy FF handguard and Aimpoint M3. Basic carbine stock. My version of a KISS carbine. My goal is to hunt with this platform with a 6.5 upper with scope. I love the way the 16" gun handles. Not sure I would like the 18" barrel but I guess I have the usual concerns about velocity drop with the 16" barrel. I am not expecting the shoot this in a hunting situation at longer ranges, I realize the limitations of the gear. So, at say 0-300 or 400 yds max. would I be good to go with 16" barrels ? Another question ? Do the bullets in the 120 gr. range perform ok at 16" barrel velocities ? I figured 120 gr would be a good range to try. Opinions of bullets that work well in 16" barrels welcome.
I have noticed on the AA website an upper called the Incursion. a 16" 1:7.5 barrel with a rifle length FF handguard. I like that configuration. What are the feelings about the 1:7.5 twist for shorter barrels ? Is it necessary ? Does it do what it is supposed to do ? Does anyone have any experience with this upper ? I like the price too.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Lee
I kill deer quite dead with a 10.5" upper, you'd be well more than "good to go" with a 16" barrel. It'll handle 400 yards very easily. As for 120gr. class bullets? Yep. I use and love Nosler 120BT bullets, as they are very accurate, and are perfectly suited to the Grendel's velocities. They work great on deer. For factory ammo you can kill deer all day long with Hornady's 123gr. Amax and SST loads. I use those when I'm too lazy to load, and they are very accurate for a factory loading, and also perform well on deer in my experience.
I have two barrels with 1-7.5" twist (a 10.5" and a 14.5") and they work just fine with a wide range of bullet weights. I can't speak to the particular upper you are looking at, but AA makes good stuff. I should perform well.
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

