07-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Just curious on your choice of 1:7 twist 10.5" barrel. With velocity being the limiting factor in 223/5.56 I think I would shoot bullets on the lighter side compared to the heavier side of 224 bullets. A 1:9 twist will handle from 50 grains to 69 grain match bullets. I think the 65 grain game king or 60 grain V-Max might work for larger critters and defense but still use the light bullet for small varmints.
Generally the lighter bullets are cheaper and if you don't plan on shooting anything less than 55 grains you should be OK. I assume a 10.5 5.56 barrel would still stabilize 77 grain SMK or 75 grain Tap but I have no first hand experience with less than 16" barrels. I guess it boils down to your intended use.
Generally the lighter bullets are cheaper and if you don't plan on shooting anything less than 55 grains you should be OK. I assume a 10.5 5.56 barrel would still stabilize 77 grain SMK or 75 grain Tap but I have no first hand experience with less than 16" barrels. I guess it boils down to your intended use.

