Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat
#12
Ridz Wrote:Could you measure how far out you can seat the amax bullet after the scraping? A before and after C.O.A.L. would be helpful if you have the tools. I realize it's a little to late to get a before measurement.

Here's a couple of post scrape measurements.

Now, I don't have the specific tools to measure where a bullet hits the lands, but I did settle on this method: Take your rifle and close the bolt, then seat a rod or dowel from the muzzle and mark it at the point where it is level with the the muzzle or muzzle device, and against the bolt. Next, take a sized case, with cuts in the case neck to ease neck tension, and insert the bullet into the case to a length where you think it will lodge into the lands. Carefully seat the case and bullet combo into the chamber and extract the case. The bullet should stay lodged in the lands. Take the same rod used before and measure the depth to the top of the bullet. Then measure the distance between the two marks on the rod - this should be your C.O.L with a bullet seated in the lands.

To verify, I then take my case and bullet and set it a couple of thousands back from my measurement. If the bullet comes out with the case I figure I've gotten the measurement right. Not exact, but I think it gets me close enough for my reloading needs.

Based on the description above, for A-Max 123gr bullets I see the "in the lands" measurement around 2.350". Since I'm interested in loading up some Hornady 129gr Interlock (secant ogive), I measured it at about 2.250"
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by Ridz - 03-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by LRRPF52 - 03-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by Ridz - 03-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Range Report - Liberty Barrel with Scraped Throat - by driven - 03-04-2014, 06:15 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)