Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
DIY Steel Targets
#26
stanc Wrote:Post photos, please?

I tried .308 AP against steel (of unknown hardness) once. It failed to penetrate. Instead, the steel core came back at high velocity, buzzing overhead like a big angry bee. :eek:

Also shot 1/2-inch mild steel with M80 Ball, at ~100 yards. It punched through very nicely.

Hmmm.....don't know if I have those pictures. They looked almost exactly like all the other, non AP rounds. I do remember that they didn't penetrate as deep as the Nosler 100 BT's and the 110 grain Barnes solids, though.

I was very suprised that M80 ball didn't penetrate. There is one variable that I hadn't accounted for, and that was my plate carrier, which consisted of a 4x4 with grooves for the plate, with the plates perpindicular to the length of the 4x4. Even through we stacked rocks beside and behind it, I think it was moving like a sled to some extent, and that would absorb some of the impact.

I plan on repeating this testing, but using a fixed plate carrier, which I now have the ability to create.

I was concerned about steel core reflection, since the rule is that reflection occurs at the same angle as impact. I tilted the plates a tiny bit to avoid a 180 bounce back!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply


Messages In This Thread
DIY Steel Targets - by WillD - 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by LRRPF52 - 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by gophernuts - 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by Longshot_34 - 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by WillD - 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by WillD - 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by Longshot_34 - 06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by stanc - 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by munchie3409 - 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM
DIY Steel Targets - by Mutt - 08-17-2011, 06:38 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-17-2011, 07:18 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by txgunner00 - 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by ss355 - 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by Overwatcher - 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by Overwatcher - 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by Overwatcher - 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by stanc - 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by RangerRick - 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by stanc - 08-18-2011, 11:04 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by stanc - 08-19-2011, 12:09 AM
DIY Steel Targets - by bwaites - 08-19-2011, 01:43 AM
DIY Steel Targets - by txgunner00 - 08-20-2011, 10:22 PM
DIY Steel Targets - by usmc1371 - 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)