08-18-2011, 06:03 PM
bwaites Wrote:AR500 isn't very tough to find in most places, so I'm surprised at your difficulty. It is what is used for any rock/gravel/coal operation for the bed liners of the trucks, and for conveyor walling, etc.
In some parts of the country, (especially coal country) it can sometimes even be had as scrap, with all the coal operations that have been shut down.
The piece I got was a piece of scrap from a steel place, then cut to my specs. The cutting was most of the cost.
CAUTION: If you are getting AR 400 or 500 cut, it needs to be cut with a laser or water jet. Cutting with a torch will cause the edges to become soft, and when struck at the edges they will react like soft steel, making razor sharp areas along the edges!
I kind of thought the same thing,I was really surprised on how tough it was to get.
I probably should have done more scrounging around for pieces here and there,but the only problem with that is when you go to get it lazer cut,they are going to hit you hard with setting this or that piece up. Having a nice big sheet is a one stop chop and being able to nest all your plates and get the most bang for your buck. Lucky enough I split the sheet with a coworker,who's brother had the hookup,and ending up getting it cut for free.Whereas the lazer is around $250 an hour.
+1 to having it either lazer cut or jetted.make sure you also get your holes/way your going to hang it.Almost impossible to drill it.
For what I paid to DIY..it was worth it.
For the time and effort..it was a little more then what I wanted.
I dunno just my experience.
