01-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Tedward Wrote:Opinion, not what it is. Everyone can read thru the lines, post what ever they want but the fact is the Liberty barrels are reamed with SAAMI approved measurement reamers.
Has anyone called another manufacture and shared the measurements that are on the trend and see if they made any changes to make there barrels not to have a tight throat? Precision Firearms, Lilja ect....
Maybe its the rifling, 5R, along with the chamber that increases pressure. Look at the whole picture not what you want to see or hear.
I'm guessing you haven't read all the comments in this thread thoroughly. LRRPF52 already reported no issues with Lilja barrels he recently received and with a SATERN Spartan barrel (not to mention his other barrels) he has on hand; I have reported no issues with my SATERN Spartan barrel; others have reported similar. The issue is obviously not with 5R rifling as the SATERN Spartan barrels are 5R barrels. The issues have been with Liberty barrels and are most likely due to a rough throat. The comments I posted by Bill A. from another thread essentially verified what we have been seeing: Rough throats/rifling on Liberty barrels that lead to quick/higher pressure rises, higher velocities, and high ES.
Why do we keep repeating the cycle?
In looking at the Manson reamer specs (page 8, Grendel Reloading Handbook, Vol 1), Manson lists a SAAMI spec of .153" "free bore" (really isn't a true free bore since it has angled throat walls that effectively act to transition the lands within this "free bore" area). Not being lapped/polished, I'm guessing there are quite a few burrs in this area in addition to rough rifling in the Liberty barrel since they are an economy button rifled barrel that has not been lapped.
BTW...SAAMI doesn't approve reamers, they approve specs. It is up to reamer manufacturer and barrel chamberer to verify the reamer is within that spec. So it really is just "opinion" at this point that the reamer in question is within spec, particularly when SATERN Spartan chambers don't have this same issue. (My guess is it is merely rough chamber/throat/rifling as I've stated previously).
I like SATERN Spartan barrels...they are shooters to be sure. SATERN machining has always treated me good when I could get hold of them (they were harder to get hold of on the phone than AA, in my humble experience). But I'm a little disappointed that the first reported words from Steve Satern were to accuse AA ammunition of being out of spec (at least what was attributed to him via others on the forum). I will further note that Bill A. has only had good things to say publicly about SATERN barrels as evidenced by my earlier post quoting Bill A.
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

